Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Anyone who even remotely agrees ‘lock down so we can have christmas dinner’ is a w****r. 

Folk like...Nicola Sturgeon? Businesses must be delighted with todays news though...shut at their busiest time of the year.

You mean school staff and pupils dont need to use the NHS....thats handy.

Well kind of.

Cases of kids actually getting ill enough to require a visit to the hospital is pretty rare and then much rarer to have a serious complication or die, these cases will likely be kids requiring full time care regardless. We're talking a couple of magnitudes less likely than the adult population.

In terms of how transmissible it is from this population to adults, it's been very rare. Almost unheard of for student-staff and as far as I'm aware, there's not been any staff cases that have come from children in Scotland.

The underlying growth isn't due to the schools being open and the cost of closing them would incur embedded costs on all fronts, partially with the health service in taking staff out the front line.

The headline figures don't tell us a huge deal on where the infection is actually growing and causing risk.

2 minutes ago, harry94 said:

In terms of how transmissible it is from this population to adults, it's been very rare. Almost unheard of for student-staff and as far as I'm aware, there's not been any staff cases that have come from children in Scotland.

Sorry, have we gone back to April with nonsense claim?

The underlying growth isn't due to the schools being open and the cost of closing them would incur embedded costs on all fronts, partially with the health service in taking staff out the front line.

Well no it wouldn't because we'd still have hubs to provide key worker support as we had between March and June. The rest of them can be punted to online only/blended learning depending on local rates of infection.

17 minutes ago, virginton said:

You're utterly deluded if you think that a two week window is going to save retail. They are monumentally fucked and will collapse like a house of cards in January.

The clear retail winner from this is Amazon's Black Friday event (smaller online stockists are available: try ABE Books for example)

Indeed, Amazon will be quids in. You could make a suggestion Amazon internet retail is also non-essential and save people travelling to warehouses and delivering parcels. 

In general, the utter stupidity in the countries people cherry-pick for comparisons for whatever point they want to make has been a real low point of the pandemic. The worst I've seen yet has to be Effie Dean's comparison of Scotland and Slovakia because their population, to the nearest million, is the same. That is genuinely impressive levels of idiocy.
Effie Deans and idiocy in the same sentence - that's par for the course.

Well no it wouldn't because we'd still have hubs to provide key worker support as we had between March and June. The rest of them can be punted to online only/blended learning depending on local rates of infection.
And have we gone back to the nonsense in February of Italian kids hugging their grannies spreading the virus?

The link is still to be fully established but we're seeing far lower levels of transmission between kids and adults across the board, perhaps there is some data I'm not aware of but there's not much controversy in this claim.

Could you point me to any info of staff being infected by their students in Scotland?

Key worker support would be beneficial but wouldn't be a completely perfect solution. Regardless, there are obviously embedded costs I'm sure you can see re removing a large no of kids from daily education.

32 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Look its clear there isnt the political will to close the schools right now. But why the f**k are they not all wearing masks and why are they allowed to go out in massive groups at lunchtimes etc? 
Is there honestly any posters who want to argue that you can’t explain to a massive majority of 13yo+ kids in high schools that they need to wear a mask? 
Why do we not have mass testing? 
Vaccine can’t come fucking quick enough. Anyone who even remotely agrees ‘lock down so we can have christmas dinner’ is a w****r. 

As far as I'm aware schoolchildren are supposed to be wearing masks in Tier 3 and above.

You know what has serious 'embedded costs' to it? Shutting down the largest population centre in your country for the second time this year, when the measures aren't even going to have a decisive impact on case rates. Closing secondary schools alone would drop the R rate by 0.35: do so for the remaining five weeks rather than setting tier 4 restrictions and that's your second wave done. They can catch up on any missed work when the pandemic is under management, not before this point.

2 minutes ago, harry94 said:

The link is still to be fully established but we're seeing far lower levels of transmission between kids and adults across the board, perhaps there is some data I'm not aware of but there's not much controversy in this claim.

Where are you getting this from?

Largest COVID-19 contact-tracing finds children key to spread, evidence of superspreaders

Breakthrough finding shows children are silent spreaders of COVID-19

You remember the "two week" circuit break that would "buy us 28 days" right?
This is far more explicit - when pressed on the original circuit breaker the only commitment was a "review" - the opposition parties pressed on this today and she categorically said it would be lifted at that point.

26 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Well kind of.

Cases of kids actually getting ill enough to require a visit to the hospital is pretty rare and then much rarer to have a serious complication or die, these cases will likely be kids requiring full time care regardless. We're talking a couple of magnitudes less likely than the adult population.

The headline figures don't tell us a huge deal on where the infection is actually growing and causing risk.

Firstly, what are you talking about? You still believe that there’s no transmission from children to adults?

Secondly, I’m genuinely interested in what you believe the cause of the growth is if not schools? Is it by any chance that you think it’s purely down to house parties or some nonsense like that?

Considering a lot of buses start from Midlothian and East Lothian which go into the city of Edinburgh. I wonder how Police Scotland will handle people travelling on buses from let's say, Tranent to Murrayfield. 
Hopefully they jump on at the shell garage at musselburgh and start cracking heads of anyone not from East Lothian.