Coronavirus (COVID-19)

29 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

It is true that alot of people in falkirk travel regularly to the cities for work, leisure and sadly , football. The last one is off the cards, the middle one is quite severely restricted and the last one you imagine would be quite a bit less than usual with wfh. A bit disingenuous if they are using normal time travel data to justify it

Def will be less than normal with some people working from home, but there's plenty who can't work from home still travelling daily. Besides, central Scotland is such a small geographic area, its not hard to imagine if Glasgow is still in level 3 but everywhere from Falkirk east dropped to level 2, you'd see people travelling east to go out for meals, nights out, Christmas shopping etc. 

shite craic that.
between the elimination of ten decks and the scarcity of vending machines, it must be incredibly difficult for todays underage smokers.

I have no idea why anyone would take it up these days. Anyone who does should be able to list it in a job application as a demonstration of their commitment to an endeavour.

How do folk feel about taking a vaccine that has been fast tracked like this? I’m not an anti-vaxxer. I am however concerned that a vaccine will be ready when it normally takes, what, at least 3 years to develop supposedly? How can we be sure there are no ill side effects after trials lasting such a small period of time?

18 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

IAG the owner of british airways shares have jumped by 37% , either very confident or very desperate?

Bonkers how quickly the markets react to this stuff. Always blows my mind. Right down to the Just Eat dive....

As far as our daily lives go, I suppose it falls into "nice problem to have" territory for the govt but managing a rising tide of expectation will be nigh on impossible now. 

How do folk feel about taking a vaccine that has been fast tracked like this? I’m not an anti-vaxxer. I am however concerned that a vaccine will be ready when it normally takes, what, at least 3 years to develop supposedly? How can we be sure there are no ill side effects after trials lasting such a small period of time?
This was my opinion as well but due to my age, health etc. I suspect I'll be at the back of the queue. Interested to hear other people's thoughts.

6 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I believe much of the work on the vaccine was previously done towards MERS and it has been changed to target Covid-19, so it's not been like starting from scratch. 

Just now, flyingscot said:

I believe much of the work on the vaccine was previously done towards MERS and it has been changed to target Covid-19, so it's not been like starting from scratch. 

9 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

If his one passes then it will be the fastest ever by some distance so it does raise a few eyebrows, no other disease has brought the world to such a crippling standstill as this one , as said before it is not the overall mortality rate that is the danger from covid but the way it spreads under the radar means it can find it's way to those who are at risk far easier than most other airborne infections.  this vaccine will have had the highest priority that a vaccine development has ever had,  which could explain why it has been so mch quicker that others, but , it can also mean that normal due diligence procedures could have been waived in order to allow for a faster roll out to get the world moving again

Genuine question but what kind of side effects would people expect from a vaccine like this? If, for example, any side effects are minimal then surely the "reward" of normality and some protection from Covid outweighs the risk?

For what it's worth I wouldn't have an issue taking it but I expect I'd be well down the pecking order.

32 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Has any other vaccine had even a 100th of the resources thrown at this? 

29 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I'll be having it if allowed (can't have live vaccines). 

19 hours ago, Steven W said:

The JRG are going to work with Inverness, Elgin City and HL clubs in tier 1 "over the coming weeks". (NCL simply not mentioned)

Weeks?? They don't exactly sound in a rush.

In some fantasy land when Glasgow achieves tier 1, I wonder if the JRG will work with the clubs "over the coming weeks"

HL not starting until the 28th so gives them a bit more time to get round those clubs.  There’s also a bit more pressure to get the first batch of clubs correct.   Last thing the SFA need are photos going around of fans crowded together.

Vaccine still has to go through the stages of testing, approval and peer review etc. Its just happened much faster because there has been easy recruitment of study subjects, limitless cash and basically everything else stuck on a back burner. 
Im confident if approved it will have had the same checks as any other vaccine. 

The timing of this vaccine news is interesting, especially with Pence trying to claim credit for the Trump administration, a claim which Pfizer have trashed. It makes me wonder though if Pfizer have waited very deliberately for the US Election to play out in order that Trump or whoever couldn't hijack the situation.