Coronavirus (COVID-19)

30 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Anyone who can’t grasp this is very definitely at it. If your establishment has a regular menu that goes from pie n beans to steak pie or fish n chips, it’s a substantial meal. Or if the best you can do is a range from a bag of crisps up to a pie out the heater that has hastily been found in the cellar and had the dust wiped off it, it’s not. 

Is a "lite-bite" a substantial meal? Could you have a glass of wine if out for lunch and ordering a panini and a side salad?

It may seem like a frivolous point to you and I, but it's the "if you are not sure if you are a café or a restaurant you should close" scenario again. It's not useful for business owners who need to order supplies; it's not useful for the staff who are deciding who is and isn't being protected from the virus by their food; and, crucially, it's no use for your average person who just wants to nip out for a bite to eat and wash it down with a drink.

Again, the obvious pitfall of rushing things through without proper engagement, scrutiny or debate has surfaced.

Edited by Todd_is_God

2 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:
2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
For once he is right, anyone that needs an explanation of a meal (substantial is England) is a total moron. It's obvious a pickled egg or crisps do not constitute a meal.

What if it's a pickled egg and crisps on the same plate and you eat them with a knife and fork?

I like your thinking. I've said before, I don't mind getting a pie every time I order a drink. Several pies are surely a substantial meal?

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

2 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:
2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
For once he is right, anyone that needs an explanation of a meal (substantial is England) is a total moron. It's obvious a pickled egg or crisps do not constitute a meal.

What if it's a pickled egg and crisps on the same plate and you eat them with a knife and fork?

Then you’ve probably no pals, smell a bit and are a bit weird.

Is a "lite-bite" a substantial meal? Could you have a glass of wine if out for lunch and ordering a panini and a side salad?

It may seem like a frivolous point to you and I, but it's the "if you are not sure if you are a café or a restaurant you should close" scenario again. It's not useful for business owners who need to order supplies; it's not useful for the staff who are deciding who is and isn't being protected from the virus by their food; and, crucially, it's no use for your average person who just wants to nip out for a bite to eat and wash it down with a drink.

Again, the obvious pitfall of rushing things through without proper engagement, scrutiny or debate has surfaced.

WTF is a "lite bite"

It's basic common sense pub that doesn't serve meals shut, pub that does open. We all know which is which despite the bullshitting on here. In your example anywhere that prepares salads would be open ffs.

Of and cafes and restaurants can open now so this is a moot point

Covid has certainly brought out pedantry and nit picking out into the light from the great Scottish public. "You can have a drink if you're sitting down for a meal." "What on earth does "meal" mean, it's ridiculous, how can anyone be expected to understand that?" 

Covid has certainly brought out pedantry and nit picking out into the light from the great Scottish public. "You can have a drink if you're sitting down for a meal." "What on earth does "meal" mean, it's ridiculous, how can anyone be expected to understand that?" 
Exactly and they know fine but it was the big bad SNP that said it so it's got to be confusing. As I said earlier Moron level.

In my younger days I occasionally ended up in the jakey pubs that opened at 6am in Glasgow such as the Iron Horse or Tollbooth after a party and you got a wee roll and cheese with every drink which the bar staff would collect off the table untouched five minutes later. 
Likewise pubs in Irvine and Ayr decades ago it was to get round licensing laws IIRC

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

To be fair I don't think the government means a plate of stovies or pie, chips and beans in a boozer so there is definitely a gray area.

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The monumental brass neck of you complaining about 'pedantic nitpicking' - given that your response to teuchter football not allowing fans has been to drive to the games anyway and sit in the fucking car park to watch them like an absolute loser. 

13 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

WTF is a "lite bite"

It's basic common sense pub that doesn't serve meals shut, pub that does open. We all know which is which despite the bullshitting on here. In your example anywhere that prepares salads would be open ffs.

Why shouldn't a hospitality venue that 'prepares salads' be allowed to open? Are salad bowls suddenly the huge, smoking gun vector of transmission?

There is literally not one single scrap of the government's regulations on hospitality that can be accurately described as 'common sense'. 

Why shouldn't a hospitality venue that 'prepares salads' be allowed to open? Are salad bowls suddenly the huge, smoking gun vector of transmission?
There is literally not one single scrap of the government's regulations on hospitality that can be accurately described as 'common sense'. 
Eh ? My post says they should WTF you on about ?

31 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

WTF is a "lite bite"

Pubs can open, but they can't sell alcohol indoors in Level 2 areas, unless doing so with a "substantial meal"

So is a panini and a side salad a substantial meal? What about a baked potato? Or would someone ordering that only be allowed a soft drink, whilst a person at the same table ordering a steak pie and chips could have a pint?

Edited by Todd_is_God