Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

It's not anywhere close to right that the likes of Shetland and the western isles go into lockdown because furlough has been extended a month.

The bampot here is you.

I’m not arguing for a lockdown in Scotland.  I might at a future point.

20 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I asked my friends and Covid experts Bachman Turner Overdrive what we could expect in the next 5- 6 months and they said

YOU AIN'T SEEN NOTHING YET!!! B-B-B-BABY YOU JUST AIN'T SEEN NOTHING YET!!! HERE'S SOMETHING YOU NEVER GONNA FORGET!!! B-B-BABY YOU AIN'T SEEN NOTHING YET.

bachman.jpg

Do not believe your doctor when he tells you that any love is good love.  I made that mistake once... :(

It should be noted that 12 million people in England, predominantly in the North, are currently living in Tier 3 restrictions with many workplaces told to close down. Local leaders, notably Andy Burnham, relentlessly asked for 80% furlough to be reinstated. It was refused, they were told there was no way it would happen.

Wales asked for the 80% furlough to be extended for their firebreak, and for extra business support. It was refused.

Scotland rushed their circuit break to get in before furlough ended, and has asked persistently for the scheme to be extended since summer. It was refused.

But now the south of England is being locked down? Predictably it’s no hassle at all.

I have a real sense the UK is collapsing in on itself, and not just Scotland anymore. This crisis has exposed that devolution doesn’t truly work for anyone, and I include the UK Government in that.

It was barely a week ago they were refusing to support Greater Manchester with another £5m! But now the south is going through the same thing, money is apparently no object.

Very hard for Johnson to hide from the reality of his actions. I can only hope he’s finally seen for the gutless, pathetic coward that he is.

They gave Greater Manchester the money a couple of days later as well. Completely pointless.

2 minutes ago, tbsouth said:

Can we all just applaud the incredible performance and timekeeping of the UK government (imagine the rage if that had been Sturgeon)

She’d do it before Mrs Brown’s Boys and her popularity rating would climb even higher.

It should be noted that 12 million people in England, predominantly in the North, are currently living in Tier 3 restrictions with many workplaces told to close down. Local leaders, notably Andy Burnham, relentlessly asked for 80% furlough to be reinstated. It was refused, they were told there was no way it would happen.

Wales asked for the 80% furlough to be extended for their firebreak, and for extra business support. It was refused.

Scotland rushed their circuit break to get in before furlough ended, and has asked persistently for the scheme to be extended since summer. It was refused.

But now the south of England is being locked down? Predictably it’s no hassle at all.

I have a real sense the UK is collapsing in on itself, and not just Scotland anymore. This crisis has exposed that devolution doesn’t truly work for anyone, and I include the UK Government in that.

It was barely a week ago they were refusing to support Greater Manchester with another £5m! But now the south is going through the same thing, money is apparently no object.

Very hard for Johnson to hide from the reality of his actions. I can only hope he’s finally seen for the gutless, pathetic coward that he is.
Absolutely spot on.

29 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I don't think it would be a good look for NS to announce on Thursday that certain areas would be in level 1 etc, then announce a flip to level 4 on or before the date the tier system comes into effect.

But that's her call. Is she a leader, or a follower?

And starve Scottish workers of furlough pay? What would you do?

Most of the South isn't even in Tier 2 never mind Tier 3 measures like much of the North West and North East. This is a ridiculous approach which is unjustifiable. Much worse than the 'circuit breaker' haphazardly applied across much of the central belt in Scotland. 

The government are also kidding themselves on furlough. I understand why they're time limiting it or some employers would just punt people on furlough for the sake of it, but we'll end up being locked down again in January after another lecture about enjoying ourselves too much over Christmas. 

And starve Scottish workers of furlough pay? What would you do?

Again, I might be wrong but my understanding of how the furlough scheme works is that if it’s in the U.K. then it’s operational. So if somewhere like Shetland had been placed in Tier 0 then businesses there could still furlough workers.

Again, I could be very wrong.

29 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

I don't believe for a second that the first time she has heard about the furlough being extended was tonight. 

Really? It wouldn't surprise me if most members of the Westminster government weren't aware of furlough being extended til about 3:45 today.

24 minutes ago, Paco said:

Once the media and Starmer start holding him to account then I reckon the game will be a bogey.

29 minutes ago, Paco said:

Yep, only when the Tory heartlands needed it did they do it. The UK doesnt work, get it to f**k. 

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:
3 minutes ago, NotThePars said:
Once the media and Starmer start holding him to account then I reckon the game will be a bogey.

And how long might we have to wait for this, because I am meant to be meeting the tooth fairy tomorrow

Once he's run down a few more gig economy workers and suspended the rest of the SCG, I reckon he'll start threatening to issue Boris with a verbal warning. Give it another 10000 deaths.

7 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Again, I might be wrong but my understanding of how the furlough scheme works is that if it’s in the U.K. then it’s operational. So if somewhere like Shetland had been placed in Tier 0 then businesses there could still furlough workers.

Again, I could be very wrong.

I've got no idea either, I just think Todd deserves the chance to say what the SG's decision should be, before it's announced, instead of just automatically criticising whatever it is, after.

Edited by welshbairn