Coronavirus (COVID-19)

15 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I'm happy to accept that the SNP haven't covered themselves in glory, but I'd stand firm that Sturgeon is still the one I'd want handling the crisis.

It could have been Willie Rennie FFS

What would you have had the SG do differently?

6 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I've said this before and, while I don't disagree with the sentiment, I think in order for "a means to an end" to be a strong argument, the "End" has to be both realistic and visible. It hasn't been now for over 6 years.

They've been the largest party in HR now for 13 years. How long do we give them to achieve this end, whilst at the same time turning a blind eye to any failings and mistakes and still voting for them?

As long as it takes.

Who else is there?

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Saying that they haven't covered themselves in glory is not the same as saying I'd have done anything differently.

Although I'd have made masks in schools mandatory from the moment schools opened.

6 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Stick to the plans for blended learning (that we'd spent months preparing for) instead of caving at the first sign of pressure from UsForThem?

Just now, Mark Connolly said:

Saying that they haven't covered themselves in glory is not the same as saying I'd have done anything differently.

Although I'd have made masks in schools mandatory from the moment schools opened.

If you don’t think they could have done anything differently I cannot understand your comment.  

1 minute ago, ICTJohnboy said:

As long as it takes.

Who else is there?

Well no, that's not a good argument.

We can't be sitting in 2037, for example, voting a party into government on ideology alone, whilst ignoring any shortcomings or failings.

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

Well no, that's not a good argument.

We can't be sitting in 2037, for example, voting a party into government on ideology alone, whilst ignoring any shortcomings or failings.

So for anyone who wants independence what would you suggest?

4 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Stick to the plans for blended learning (that we'd spent months preparing for) instead of caving at the first sign of pressure from UsForThem?

Yeah the SG should not allow themselves to be pressurised by folk who are opposed to restrictions.

4 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

So for anyone who wants independence what would you suggest?

That they consider what is most important to them before blindly casting their vote.

If they are happy to accept any and all SNP failings in the hope that independence may come at some point in the distant future, then by all means vote for them.

But don't get all precious and go into full blown defence mode when people point them out.

Edited by Todd_is_God

48 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

...People who need a vaccine will get one, it won't make them immune but it will reduce risk of infection and death rates. The rest of us not deemed high risk will go about life and every winter, some will catch it but most won't. Those who do will mostly get it pretty mildly and recover, some will get a right bad dose of it and think 'that's something thats not to be fucked about with'. So what from that paragraph is any different from endemic flu? 

Some people go bonkers when you point it out to them because they seem to believe erroneously that influenza is always something relatively trivial, but the COVID-19 pandemic is broadly comparable on IFR to unusually bad flu seasons we get about once a generation or two when a new strain emerges, but not as bad as the most severe flu pandemics that arrive on a once a century or two sort of timeline when a new strain emerges like in 1918 that severely affects physically fit people in the prime of their life as well as the elderly, etc. The problem appears to be that the IFR for COVID-19 was originally assumed to be about an order of magnitude worse than it ultimately turned out to be, but many/most people have not adjusted their fear level to reflect that yet.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

6 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I would have locked down earlier, set up track and trace from the start, moved elderly suspected covid cases into the nightingale hospitals rather than care homes, moved to catch up on the non covid waiting list as soon as it was clear the hospitals wouldn't be swamped in the spring and summer,  kept schools and colleges as remote learning for over 15s, and allowed Highland League football to start in September with strict crowd limits. Some of this is probably with the benefit of hindsight.

7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

That they consider what is most important to them before blindly casting their vote.

If they are happy to accept any and all SNP failings in the hope that independence may come at some point in the distant future, then by all means vote for them.

But don't get all precious and go into full blown defence mode when people point them out.

Who will you be voting for next year?

Looks like another lockdown about to be imposed on England - an announcement to be made at 5pm.

Of course they won't call it a lockdown - it will be have to be called something else because Boris has already said there isn't going to be another one.

3 minutes ago, Steven W said:

These measurements seem broadly in line with our tier 4.

Interesting to see if NS follows suit. Recent history would suggest she will (may wait a week or something)

Presently, cases over Scotland are levelling off.

There's absolutely no need to introduce a nationwide lockdown. Stick to the measures introduced only a week ago.

Any further changing of goalposts at this point, particularly when there is no obvious reasons for doing so is just muddying waters further.