Coronavirus (COVID-19)

9 minutes ago, madwullie said:

For a start, were the nhs every winter to be approaching breaking point, I'm sure measures would be implemented

But it does, and we don't.

Admissions & Bed occupancy is pretty much in line with a normal year.

Maybe if we didn't treat people with broken legs etc as lepers needing to be isolated in a special part of the hospital on the basis of nothing more than a positive PCR test we'd be in a better place to cope.

Edited by Todd_is_God

4 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Interesting to hear the wording of any lockdown today in England. Some of the press online sites suggesting it could be in the form of a new additional 4th tier to their existing system thus making it pretty close to what we have coming into force on Monday. The Sturgeon hating Gammons ain't going to like that !

The classic "can't criticise Sturgeon's shambolic response because it's not unique" nonsense.

11 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

But it does, and we don't.

Admissions & Bed occupancy is pretty much in line with a normal year.

Maybe if we didn't treat people with broken legs etc as lepers needing to be isolated in a special part of the hospital on the basis of nothing more than a positive PCR test we'd be in a better place to cope.

So still no solution other than lockdown in the event the nhs is projected not to cope. 

I get that you seem to think the covid wards are bursting with false positives who only require a plaster for a cut knee. I don't know if that's the case.

What do you suggest is done differently then? It sounds like you think these patients should just be admitted to a normal ward, or kept in the ambulance for a few days till enough tests can be run that increases the likelihood that they are proper positive. 

This isn't a normal year. Coronavirus means these patients, and staff, have to be kept apart from non covid patients. So if bed occupancy is about normal, that means the resources are stretched far more thinly than usual

Edited by madwullie

6 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The classic "can't criticise Sturgeon's shambolic response because it's not unique" nonsense.

Some people don't have the ability to think objectively or critically.

If you don't support every single thing Nicola and the muppets advising her have done during the pandemic then you don't want independence and are a Covid denier! Alba gu brath.

So still no solution other than lockdown in the event the nhs is projected not to cope. 
I get that you seem to think the covid wards are bursting with false positives who only require a plaster for a cut knee. I don't know if that's the case.
What do you suggest is done differently then? It sounds like you think these patients should just be admitted to a normal ward, or kept in the ambulance for a few days till enough tests can be run that increases the likelihood that they are proper positive. 
Why not shielding? I havent seen a single mention of this in recent days despite talk of returning to spring style lockdown.

The damage from that hasnt even fully shown itself yet, and here we are about to do more, and given its winter and theres no sign of furlough, let's assume this one will be even worse.

Shielding is of course shite for those affected. Lockdown is shite for absolutely everyone.

Just now, madwullie said:

I could be wrong but I don't think anyone is claiming covid wards are bursting with false positive cases. People are in hospital because they are assessed by health care professionals as requiring in patient care, not because they happen to have a positive test. That's not to say there aren't loads of false positive results overall. 

8 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Some people don't have the ability to think objectively or critically.

If you don't support every single thing Nicola and the muppets advising her have done during the pandemic then you don't want independence and are a Covid denier! Alba gu brath.

Equally there’s people who have no relevant training or expertise but spend all day on chat sites and who think that they are better equipped to deal with the pandemic. 

47 minutes ago, madwullie said:

More than a few kids in the street been told to isolate by T&T. 

You must be mistaken, it’s been proven that children do not spread the virus, so no need for them to isolate or even wear a mask whilst having their daily mass gatherings until now.

17 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I could be wrong but I don't think anyone is claiming covid wards are bursting with false positive cases. People are in hospital because they are assessed by health care professionals as requiring in patient care, not because they happen to have a positive test. That's not to say there aren't loads of false positive results overall. 

I get that, and I would imagine that hospitals are doing their damndest not to admit people unless it's absolutely necessary. I know at the start of the first wave I was coughing up a bit of blood etc, sent up to A&E where doctor decided I def had a lung infection, and I've been admitted three or four times for the exact same thing - this time they couldn't get me out of there fast enough and gave me tablet anti-biotics rather than the IV I would normally have had, and sent me home (but phoned the next day to make sure I was OK) 

Edited by madwullie

3 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

You must be mistaken, it’s been proven that children do not spread the virus, so no need for them to isolate or even wear a mask whilst having their daily mass gatherings until now.

They're only telling kids that sit in the same group as them in class to isolate. Personally I don't think that's enough - that doesn't legislate for anything outwith a group situation at school - doesn't seem to matter who they sat with at lunch, playtime, if they were sitting down the front for one of the many movies they've seemed to watch this week etc etc

They're only telling kids that sit in the same group as them in class to isolate. Personally I don't think that's enough - that doesn't legislate for anything outwith a group situation at school - doesn't seem to matter who they sat with at lunch, playtime, if they were sitting down the front for one of the many movies they've seemed to watch this week etc etc
In primary schools, classes are bubbled together so they have all their break times, lunch times etc. just in their class groups. Completely undone once they're out the school gates and playing together in the park mind.

High school is definitely harder to control this,however.

It's perfectly possible to both acknowledge that both Westminster and Holyrood have made a bit of a c**t of handling this and recognise that voting SNP still represents the only real chance of achieving an independent Scotland.

I was reading something on BBC website today:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54661843

and it was thoroughly depressing until I realised something. 

These experts have such a wild and varied litany of opinions, predictions and thoughts from person to person on how this is going to pan out, how the future is going to look and how it's going to affect life, that it's clearly obvious that none of them actually fucking know! They, like everyone else are just looking at figures, figures that they have a far stronger understanding of than us underlings but it's still painfully obvious if you go reading enough epidemiologists opinions that they are just stabbing in the dark. The outlook varies so wildly between each individual expert, they quite simply can't all be correct. 

I've said it before but I do sincerely believe that there will come a point where the government need to concede that an 'acceptable' level of mortality is now always going to follow covid, particularly if it is endemic and it will need to be absorbed into life as just another risk we need to do our best to hope we can avoid. I can't agree at all with the guy in the article from Edinburgh University who seems to be edging towards face covering and social distancing for decades or even forever, that's absolutely preposterous. To change patterns of behaviour so far removed from 'normal' and for so long for the sake of a virus that if you look at the overall picture, isn't very deadly, is completely disproportionate and not sustainable. 

We hear all the time that covid is not a flu. This is correct but the main similarity is that the treatment and combating of Covid in the medium to long term will surely follow the treatment of the flu virus almost exactly.

People who need a vaccine will get one, it won't make them immune but it will reduce risk of infection and death rates. The rest of us not deemed high risk will go about life and every winter, some will catch it but most won't. Those who do will mostly get it pretty mildly and recover, some will get a right bad dose of it and think 'that's something thats not to be fucked about with'. So what from that paragraph is any different from endemic flu? 

Edited by djchapsticks

6 minutes ago, Gaz said:

It's perfectly possible to both acknowledge that both Westminster and Holyrood have made a bit of a c**t of handling this and recognise that voting SNP still represents the only real chance of achieving an independent Scotland.

I'm happy to accept that the SNP haven't covered themselves in glory, but I'd stand firm that Sturgeon is still the one I'd want handling the crisis.

It could have been Willie Rennie FFS

9 minutes ago, Gaz said:

THIS. 

I've been quite vocally stinging with criticism of the SG with my mates on group chats and they seem to think that this is indicative of me not supporting the SNP anymore.

I've been at pains to point out to them that I've never been a massive SNP supporter but I remain strongly pro-independence and the SNP are the primary means to that end. Upon the delivery of Scottish independence, the SNP by it's very definition would dissolve as, well, its sole purpose would be served and job done. 

A vote for a party does not mean blind devotion to it or its policies. Indeed, those who voted for a particular party really should also be its fiercest critics and those who should be most demanding of answers if things are going wrong. I think that is something that's lost on a lot of voters these days on both sides of the pond. 

Edited by djchapsticks

2 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

They could say it's National Mourning for Nobby Stiles and Sean Connery. Wales and Ireland will just need to lump it.

The only thing I remember about that dick is in a televised match him spitting on someone.

As for Sean I stopped sending him christmas cards when he took the Windsor's shilling.

6 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Voting SNP is the ONLY chance of achieving independence.

Folk seem to forget that the SNP is a means to an end.

Vote for independence then vote for whichever Scottish party you prefer.

Easy peasy.

2 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

Folk seem to forget that the SNP is a means to an end.

Vote for independence then vote for whichever Scottish party you prefer.

Easy peasy.

I've said this before and, while I don't disagree with the sentiment, I think in order for "a means to an end" to be a strong argument, the "End" has to be both realistic and visible. It hasn't been now for over 6 years.

They've been the largest party in HR now for 13 years. How long do we give them to achieve this end, whilst at the same time turning a blind eye to any failings and mistakes and still voting for them?