Coronavirus (COVID-19)

14 minutes ago, Paco said:

IMG_9934.jpg

I have literally no idea what the strategy is here. Edinburgh indicators sit at 2-3-0-0-0, and have been placed in Tier 3 based seemingly on a moderately high (6%) test positivity rate. There is, according to the Scottish Government, zero chance of hospitals/ICU coming under threat in the next six weeks, with projected cases also believed to be zero threat.

Over the bridge in Fife, their indicators are 2-3-2-0-0. Similarly zero immediate threat to the NHS, but their case rates are deemed a Level 2 threat over the next six weeks, and they have a similar ‘3’ rating for test positivity rate.

Decision? Tier 2. What’s different between Fife and Edinburgh in this situation? There are, of course, similar contradictions all over the place. The Lanarkshires score a perfect 20 on the Scottish Government Scale of Panic, and yet remain at the same Tier as Edinburgh’s 5.

So we’re not being cautious, otherwise Lanarkshire and probably Glasgow would be in Tier 4, but equally we’re not laissez-faire as Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire and the Borders especially are a level above where they should be.

What is this actually trying to achieve?

It's poor form releasing the indicators alongside no clarification document re the decision making today. I suspect that this is probably deliberate though in an attempt to not bind themselves too rigidly to any position.

One thing that the tier indicators don't take into account is the interaction between the bordering areas - obviously this is quite temperamental in the populated areas and where excess capacity will go if one system is breached. I would speculate that this is where Edinburgh finds itself in, it's a large population centre with good connectivity to the central belts with the indicators of the immediate neighbour to the west being very high. The level or restriction imposed will likely be less effective if there's significant variance between bordering areas.

I think there is value in some sort of variance in restrictions but realistically, the solution across the whole piece is going to be converged to similar sort of actions as the ties between regions are generally very tight.

If the likes of Moray or Shetland are not in Tier 0 just now then we won't have any area of Scotland in Tier 0 without a vaccine.

Scottish Borders at Tier 2 is ridiculous.

The differences in Glasgow and Edinburgh scores are wide and they're in the same Tier. I don't want to go into Tier 4 in Glasgow but if the whole point is to be more localised in terms of restrictions based on those indicators then the right thing should really be Glasgow at least 1 Tier worse off than the cowards in the capital.

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Didn't she say she accepted there were anomalies and they were likely to be addressed at the first review a week on Tuesday or possibly even sooner if numbers permit ?

Thats not going to happen. Our leader seems to have a very negative mindset