Coronavirus (COVID-19)

9 minutes ago, Donathan said:

VACCINE UPDATE:

Had a message overnight from my guy over in Ireland who’s plugged in on all the vaccine stuff. Here’s what he told me:

- Pfizer expect to be able to vaccinate all healthcare workers and vulnerable people in the USA by end of January and the rest of the population by the summer.

- Now looking like the interim analysis on Oxford/AZ does NOT show enough data for emergency approval to be granted imminently. Sorry.

- Moderna and Oxford both likely to be better vaccines than Pfizer as they have potential to reduce transmission but most likely just reduce severe disease. The Pfizer vaccine is ahead in the race but is only likely to prevent serious disease, will NOT stop transmission and if we still continue mass testing will still see thousands upon thousands of cases per day, but should help prevent hospitalisations and deaths.

- Johnson & Johnson, Novavax and GSK/Sanofi are not in human trials yet but on their initial trials in hamsters, they’re showing even stronger immune responses than the three that are close to approval. Could well be that these vaccines end up being the longer term players because they will help reduce transmission, not just disease.

10 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

My uncle works for EA and says that the Scottish Championship will be in FIFA 22.

This is important news, can anyone confirm?

8 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:
12 minutes ago, NotThePars said:
My guy works for Sony and says the PS5 will play Xbox games by 2022

Interesting. Did you know if you spell Atari backwards you can play NHL 94 (Mega Drive edition) and Crash Bandicoot (PS) on it.

NHLPA '93 was / is the pinnacle of ice hockey games.

Interesting. Did you know if you spell Atari backwards you can play NHL 94 (Mega Drive edition) and Crash Bandicoot (PS) on it.

My best mate’s dad created the Atari and I was actually the first person in the UK to learn this

25 minutes ago, Donathan said:

- Now looking like the interim analysis on Oxford/AZ does NOT show enough data for emergency approval to be granted imminently. Sorry.

Quite the reversal in the space of 12 hours!

Is your 'guy' a Reddit 'guy' by any chance?

Edited by Detournement

"Don't know why" every time there is a suggestion that an increase in immunity levels within a community may be responsible for a slowing of spread, the scientists do absolutely everything to avoid even suggesting it.

Assuming it's not just another example of Leitch not being able to hold his water and toe the party line when not at the podium, him at leasr recognising it may be playing a part seems like an important shift.

He can't genuinely believe people are better at social distancing than in March and April, so my instinct is that's there as a sort of get out.

The idea that social distancing has been markedly more stringent in Inverclyde compared to anywhere else in the Central Belt because it was hit badly in March is utterly laughable. That's up there with Leitch's 'only east Asians have the cultural grounds with which to wear masks in a pandemic', which was responsible for turbo-charging the outbreak during the spring.

The man is a clown and shouldn't be left unsupervised with a box of crayons never mind the nation's pandemic response.

VACCINE UPDATE:

Had a message overnight from my guy over in Ireland who’s plugged in on all the vaccine stuff. Here’s what he told me:

- Pfizer expect to be able to vaccinate all healthcare workers and vulnerable people in the USA by end of January and the rest of the population by the summer.

- Moderna and Oxford both likely to be better vaccines than Pfizer as they have potential to reduce transmission but most likely just reduce severe disease. The Pfizer vaccine is ahead in the race but is only likely to prevent serious disease, will NOT stop transmission and if we still continue mass testing will still see thousands upon thousands of cases per day, but should help prevent hospitalisations and deaths.

- Johnson & Johnson, Novavax and GSK/Sanofi are not in human trials yet but on their initial trials in hamsters, they’re showing even stronger immune responses than the three that are close to approval. Could well be that these vaccines end up being the longer term players because they will help reduce transmission, not just disease.
Hamsters, did they kill all their monkeys off first ? Concerning they are in to hamsters !