Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Local not for profit gym, that uses any profit to support the community with free classes/reduced price memberships for those that can't afford it, and subsidised counselling sessions for members of the community, has just announced it has to close the building it runs from due to covid restrictions imposed on it, fucking tragic.

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

Context is key here, though.

As much as I'm not a fan of either a "circuit breaker" or the tiers system, i'd take the former if it meant the latter was punted.

But I don't get why people would actively want one, everything they promise never happens eg Leitch's "two weeks buys us 28 days" which was clearly bollocks.

I don't particularly understand it either. But it gives an indication of the mood in the country in general

40 minutes ago, FFCinthearea said:

Which currency would we be using, and who would our lender of last resort be?

f**k I've just woken up in 2014. Hopefully there will be an extremely tedious few pages ahead debating this

13 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Local not for profit gym, that uses any profit to support the community with free classes/reduced price memberships for those that can't afford it, and subsidised counselling sessions for members of the community, has just announced it has to close the building it runs from due to covid restrictions imposed on it, fucking tragic.

How big is the venue? The local authority gym I use has got a booking system app: I've seen up to 33 available spaces which would be wild if they were all actually booked. It could probably only get about 20 people maximum without breaching regulations.

There's only about five or six people whenever I'm in it so perhaps people choosing to steer clear of them for now is the bigger issue. If there's demand then you could increase the price on a short term basis to avoid closure.

4 minutes ago, madwullie said:

I don't particularly understand it either. But it gives an indication of the mood in the country in general

People support lockdowns because they still believe that they will 'solve the problem' and reckon it will punish other people's behaviour far more than themselves. When the reality hits that they are in it for the long haul and their own special pleading interests get binned as well they will change their tune.

Even if you were a government minister in favour of a lockdown you'd be unwise to bank on that public support IMO.

47 minutes ago, FFCinthearea said:

Which currency would we be using, and who would our lender of last resort be?

Whatever we choose and our lender of last resort will be the 10% of the Bank of England that we'll ship up to Inverness Castle*, backed by the oil reserves.

*f**k Edinburgh and Glasgow

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

People support lockdowns because they still believe that they will 'solve the problem' and reckon it will punish other people's behaviour far more than themselves. When the reality hits that they are in it for the long haul and their own special pleading interests get binned as well they will change their tune.

Even if you were a government minister in favour of a lockdown you'd be unwise to bank on that public support IMO.

Lockdowns don't work.  I think that's now been proven.

Presumably her liability insurance with not be worth a f**k if she opens against government advice.

A bit of a risky strategy in somewhere like a soft play centre I'd have thought.

13 minutes ago, FFCinthearea said:

Lockdowns don't work.  I think that's now been proven.

Well a March-style 'lockdown' might work in terms of bringing down cases a bit - though given the season there'd be a question mark even about that - but the costs are too disastrous to attempt again.

What's coming down the chute now wouldn't even do that: closing nail bars and letting pubs sell coffee and soft drinks only while you're still cramming weans into schools at full capacity at level four is not a credible public health intervention. It's just a government cherry-picking what it wants to keep going without any credible basis for those restrictions. The case rates will carry on regardless and we will - once again - get the worst of all outcomes.

Edited by vikingTON

24 minutes ago, virginton said:

How big is the venue? The local authority gym I use has got a booking system app: I've seen up to 33 available spaces which would be wild if they were all actually booked. It could probably only get about 20 people maximum without breaching regulations.

There's only about five or six people whenever I'm in it so perhaps people choosing to steer clear of them for now is the bigger issue. If there's demand then you could increase the price on a short term basis to avoid closure.

It's a warehouse which is part of the problem in terms of upkeep and I think they had a large proportion of members that liked the group sessions both fitness and yoga, very community minded place.  The individual training hasn't worked so well for them although what they did with it was excellent imo.