Coronavirus (COVID-19)

AFAIK, staggered pick up and drop off times. Staggered lunch times. At my boys' primary each class has its own "zone" marked out on the playground for playtime and lunch etc. Sanitiser in classrooms, not sitting in groups, each pair of chairs as far from the others as possible. (I think it's bsuppose to be 2m but I'm not sure) no breakfast club, no after school clubs. No homework on jotters, no pencil cases in and out and probably loads more I'm not aware of. 
Good to see them implementing some sort of safety procedures when it comes to kids.

I reckon the Scottish Government has done a pretty decent job dealing with the virus, particularly given the restraints placed upon them.  I’m pleased it’s Sturgeon handling this and not her creepy predecessor.

If Scotland were an independent country we would have the financial autonomy to address the economic impact of the restrictions in a way we do not have at present.

As someone previously mentioned the start of the academic year in universities and colleges has led to a spike, it was inevitable imo.  I reckon the governments north and south of the border were caught between a rock and a hard place on this one, criticised if they did, criticised if they didn’t.

54 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Because the virus would no longer be a serious threat to human life

Thing is though that you probably are not going to get 100% efficacy with a vaccine of this type, which is why a lot of medical professionals are trying to get people to temper their expectations a bit and not view it as a magic bullet. You only need >50% of cases being significantly alleviated to have a shot at approval from what I understand. Let's say deaths are only 25% of what they otherwise would have been after high risk groups have been vaccinated. Is that enough to end the hysteria in the tabloid media and end it from being viewed as a serious threat, if having everything fully normal again creates another surge of new cases like the one we are going through at the moment? Think the powers that be would still be keen on some social distancing to keep the R0 somewhat suppressed so the optics look good from that angle.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

And if your expectations are not being met, theres always take the stewardship yourself and try to make a difference. 
Been there, done that, then discovered that some of your colleagues were spineless c***s who would sell their first born for an extra Sunday shift.

17 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I reckon the Scottish Government has done a pretty decent job dealing with the virus, particularly given the restraints placed upon them.  I’m pleased it’s Sturgeon handling this and not her creepy predecessor.

If Scotland were an independent country we would have the financial autonomy to address the economic impact of the restrictions in a way we do not have at present.

As someone previously mentioned the start of the academic year in universities and colleges has led to a spike, it was inevitable imo.  I reckon the governments north and south of the border were caught between a rock and a hard place on this one, criticised if they did, criticised if they didn’t.

wow

Just now, Snafu said:

Last time I looked back May there were 3 different mutations, I still think it's too early to assume that this virus doesn't mutate much.

Best wait to see how it reacts to a vaccine across a population first.

It does mutate, but very slowly to a significant degree. It's apparently got some self correcting auditing device that sounds like something out of science fiction.

Thing is though that you probably are not going to get 100% efficacy with a virus of this type, which is why a lot of medical professionals are trying to get people to temper their expectations a bit and not view it as a magic bullet. You only need >50% of cases being significantly alleviated to have a shot at approval from what I understand. Let's say deaths are only 25% of what they otherwise would have been after high risk groups have been vaccinated. Is that enough to end the hysteria in the tabloid media and end it from being viewed as a serious threat, if having everything fully normal again creates another surge of new cases like the one we are going through at the moment? Think the powers that would still be keen on some social distancing to keep the R0 somewhat suppressed so the optics look good from that angle.

It’s likely to be a case of a few contributing factors which get us out of this, including a vaccine, some of which we have already.

Even if we have similar case numbers/hospital admissions as we did in spring, death rates will be less now given the existing steroid treatment, and there’s already a couple of new treatments on the horizon. ICU admissions are also likely to drop significantly as nurses etc now know more about treating the virus effectively than they did (although this obviously needs us to avoid the hospitals being overwhelmed, hence the extreme caution from politicians)

Might be a million miles off but 6 months from now it sounds likely we’ll have at least one vaccine, potentially new treatments, potentially rapid testing (pregnancy style) - all of which put together surely makes it a lot easier to lift restrictions to a fairly significant degree?

1 minute ago, anotherchance said:

... - all of which put together surely makes it a lot easier to lift restrictions to a fairly significant degree?

Think there are better days coming as long as nobody expects instant normality and if/when there is a vaccine that hugely alleviates symptoms politicians don't keep imposing lockdowns every time there is a surge in new cases and accept instead that at some point an epidemic ultimately has to be allowed to run its course up to herd immunity thresholds in a Swedish sort of way.

25 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Let's say deaths are only 25% of what they otherwise would have been after high risk groups have been vaccinated. Is that enough to end the hysteria in the tabloid media and end it from being viewed as a serious threat, if having everything fully normal again creates another surge of new cases like the one we are going through at the moment? Think the powers that be would still be keen on some social distancing to keep the R0 somewhat suppressed so the optics look good from that angle.

Yes. 100%

If an extra 1,000 people a year start dying from a virus for which we have a vaccine for then that's unfortunate, but it's not a number worth continuing with wholly disproportionate measures for.

They'll blend in with the other 55,000 that die annualy atm, and society will move on with their lives.

People are quite simply not going to practice social distancing, not being able to have parties, not being able to freely enjoy themselves etc for years on the basis of trying to prevent 2 or 3 deaths a day.

The vaccine (allegedly) being very close is probably the only thing keeping support for restrictions high enough to prevent mass protests. Once it's here it needs to be the end game.

Edited by Todd_is_God

There's no chance that even cutting deaths to 25% of current levels will be enough for the zero Covid crew.

I also noticed a fair amount of blue checkers giving it '300 odd needless deaths is a tragedy' yesterday. You can guarantee not one of them would have given deaths by respiratory illness a second thought nevermind a tweet prior to this year.

As I said earlier I think the experience of this winter will harden a lot of attitudes against lockdowns and the discussion in the spring about how to go forward will be very different to June/July past. 

7 minutes ago, madwullie said:

67% of people in a you gov survey earlier in the week said they'd support a full 2 week "circuit breaker (🤮)" lockdown. 

Context is key here, though.

As much as I'm not a fan of either a "circuit breaker" or the tiers system, i'd take the former if it meant the latter was punted.

But I don't get why people would actively want one, everything they promise never happens eg Leitch's "two weeks buys us 28 days" which was clearly bollocks.

3 hours ago, Wee Willie said:

Are you calling me a cult?

3 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Yes.

That's okay then. I'm as deaf as a Dodo and I thought ye called me a nasty word.

3 hours ago, ayrmad said:

A bit early to abandon the frail and elderly but I think Wee Willie & Co will need decide for themselves what risks they're willing to take in the not too distant future. 

Since March 23d I've been deciding what risks I'll take. It was early August when I came out of self-isolation. Now, whenever I leave my wee flat I always put on my mask, jump on my mobility scooter, mosey up tae Morrisons and do my shopping then back tae my flat. Inside I then take off my mask. I can see me doing that for a long time but I'm no bothered. Incidentally, with me being deaf I'm anti-social anyway so isolation disnae bother me.

49 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Last time I looked back May there were 3 different mutations, I still think it's too early to assume that this virus doesn't mutate much.

Best wait to see how it reacts to a vaccine across a population first.

That's what I'll be doing. Nae guinea pig me.

1 hour ago, Stan Hope said:

wtRCwZu.jpg

the point of a mask isnt to protect the wearer, its to prevent your sneezes coughs and spittle infecting other, if it was about you, we'd all be wearing the above.

image.jpeg.0266c64d0b3fad8b8cfb85f6feae86ac.jpeg

"Mary's telling me there's a deadly virus coming............and she loves dick "

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Which currency would we be using, and who would our lender of last resort be?