Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Asked about the Borders going into Tier 2 rather than 1, NS replied “As we first migrate onto this new system,” she says “we will apply a degree of caution just to make sure we’re not taking risks that are greater than we should be.”
I agree we shouldn't be taking unecessary risks, but if a LA's numbers dicate it should go into a particular tier, then thats where it should go. Dropping down a tier is going to be the same slow, cautious manner that was employed in the summer with the lockdown
Exactly and they should stick to the 5 tiers no tier 3 light or tier 2 plus shite

A bit early to abandon the frail and elderly but I think Wee Willie & Co will need decide for themselves what risks they're willing to take in the not too distant future. 

I didn't see the briefing, but i'm assuming NS covered all of the detail, including the confidence interval and highlighted text?
20201028_132124.jpg.b437ef5bf5720f97d9b393c241cca1b3.jpg
20201028_132225.jpg.740821772aec15576c6ded327913337c.jpg
She admitted she wasn't entering into details at the briefing but it didn't stop a couple of hacks losing the plot at what she described as the overall outcome.

31 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Spot on. I left school in 5th year and now  earn a five figure sum. Complete waste of time.

Personally (and I'm not saying this should apply to all), had I not gone to uni which obviously made the high school prerequisites essential, then I'm struggling to think of much that I learned at high school that I'd use day to day now.  The most basic algebra for working out where to put the brackets in an Excel formula is probably the main one.  That and how first-past-the-post works (I'm convinced a substantial number of folk in eg. NE Fife think that anything not SNP/Lib Dem makes a difference).  As cool as the double slit experiment is, it's nothing that YouTube couldn't have taught me.  That said, at least it lays the foundations for other career options.  "can you tell me the difference between a tenon and a coping saw?". Well yes, yes I can.  Thank you crazy Mr Malcolm. 

The school of P&B on the other hand... 

Edited by Hedgecutter

1 hour ago, Empty It said:

Can anyone explain the "enhanced protective measures" that have been put in place or are going to be put in place?Screenshot_20201028-121555_Chrome.jpeg

AFAIK, staggered pick up and drop off times. Staggered lunch times. At my boys' primary each class has its own "zone" marked out on the playground for playtime and lunch etc. Sanitiser in classrooms, not sitting in groups, each pair of chairs as far from the others as possible. (I think it's bsuppose to be 2m but I'm not sure) no breakfast club, no after school clubs. No homework on jotters, no pencil cases in and out and probably loads more I'm not aware of. 

Edited by madwullie

28 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
45 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:
I didn't see the briefing, but i'm assuming NS covered all of the detail, including the confidence interval and highlighted text?
20201028_132124.jpg.b437ef5bf5720f97d9b393c241cca1b3.jpg
20201028_132225.jpg.740821772aec15576c6ded327913337c.jpg

She admitted she wasn't entering into details at the briefing but it didn't stop a couple of hacks losing the plot at what she described as the overall outcome.

Yes. Because she didn't mention the bits in blue.

NS was very keen to reference upper and lower ends of the estimates when talking about prevelance, R numbers and case numbers in the summer when they were in her favour. It's only fair that, when they are not so in her favour, their omission is met with questioning. It works both ways.

Edited by Todd_is_God

That sounds like the school I work in. We run a week A and week B timetable to minimise movements round the school. Year groups are kept apart at lunch and breaks if they are indoors. Despite being in Lanarkshire, as far as I'm aware, we haven't had any positive tests among staff, we have had pupils identified as close contacts outside of school and self isolating. School is nothing like what it was before.

My wife is a teacher and in her school the measures are that staff and students wear masks in corridors and communal areas.  Classroom layouts have been changed to rows of single desks, which are all measured to be more than 2m away from the teachers desk.  Seating plans are recorded every lesson in case contact tracing is required.  At the end of every lesson pupils are required to clean their desks with sanitising wipes.  Windows and doors are kept open at all times to provide ventilation.  I think the timetable has been changed as well to mean longer classes with fewer changeovers but I can't remember exactly.  Staff training days etc are being done virtually as are parents evenings.
They've had three positive tests since August.  No idea if they were picked up in school or not.  

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, GordonS said:
I don't know why it needs to be said so often, but schools never closed to every pupil and they never will. 

I'm well aware of that and never once mentioned it so not sure why you are bringing that up.

Because you talked about kids who are from vulnerable homes as though they were or would be forced to stay at home, or they somehow weren't being considered, when schools were kept open for precisely that reason.

20 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It's up to those people to take their own precautions. No one is going to break into their house to infect them.

You get to that age, you don't usually need to take precautions.

Oh, I see what you meant...

9 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Just hoping Dalry swimming pool in Edinburgh doesnt get shut.....sounds like a fun place to visit 

We are sorry for suggesting Dalry Swim Centre was a dogging hotspot and would like to apologise. The original research sent to Edinburgh Live provided no evidence to back up their claim about the Swim Centre. We believe that the Swim Centre takes great care to ensure guest safety and that the Swim Centre provides a deeply valuable service to the local community.

14 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Yes. Because she didn't mention the bits in blue.

Yeah, even then though the bit in bold underneath suggests it still isn't statistically significant, and you can see why:

A hospital discharge with a positive test has an associated mean hazard ratio of 1.45 and 3.74 at it's high 95% confidence interval (a wide window due to lack of data) whereas simply being in a care home, where the size was 20-29 residents had a mean adjusted hazard ratio of 3.53, and by the time you get to the bigger homes, that increases to 17.3.

In other words, simply being in a care home  full stop carries a far larger risk by itself than the effect of having a positive test hospital discharge in there, and that the larger the home, the greater the risk.

It's not saying that the positive test wasn't the index case behind any individual outbreak, simply that its impossible to discern against the overall footfall, visits and movement in and out of homes, which is the marker from the care home size.

If nothing else, it makes the case that any future guidance around the care sector should probably point towards sealing off homes as much as possible, with limited to no outside, untested contact for the duration of an outbreak.

8 minutes ago, Stan Hope said:

they did all this at the school my sister teaches at, back at the start of term in August, the same kids were rolling around the play park together, once school was out, all seems pretty pointless.

It saves the school getting sued for not undertaking and implementing a risk assessment.

Personally (and I'm not saying this should apply to all), had I not gone to uni which obviously made the high school prerequisites essential, then I'm struggling to think of much that I learned at high school that I'd use day to day now.  The most basic algebra for working out where to put the brackets in an Excel formula is probably the main one.  That and how first-past-the-post works (I'm convinced a substantial number of folk in eg. NE Fife think that anything not SNP/Lib Dem makes a difference).  As cool as the double slit experiment is, it's nothing that YouTube couldn't have taught me.  That said, at least it lays the foundations for other career options.  "can you tell me the difference between a tenon and a coping saw?". Well yes, yes I can.  Thank you crazy Mr Malcolm. 
The school of P&B on the other hand... 

It’s all about conditioning and preparing you for that 9-5 life baby!

3 hours ago, Stan Hope said:

closing them would prevent that too would it not ?

The schools aren't going to be closed though, are they?

Edited by Jacksgranda
Grandma