Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

I can't imagine that the owners of a pub in Killin will be too chuffed at having to close because of a Tier 3 outbreak in Dundee

Why would restrictions in Dundee impact the Stirling Council area?

Pints by the Falls of Dochart in Killin though. 😍

13 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

lockdowns are destroying global supply chains and will lead to famine and starvation.  

Your virtue is their death.

you'd know all about famines, Mr Chairman:

The Great Chinese Famine (Chinese: 三年大饥荒, "three years of great famine") was a period in the history of the People's Republic of China (PRC) which was characterized by widespread famine between the years 1959 and 1961. Some scholars have also included the years 1958 or 1962. The Great Chinese Famine is widely regarded as the deadliest famine and one of the greatest man-made disasters in human history, with an estimated death toll due to starvation that ranges in the tens of millions.

The major contributing factors in the famine were the policies of the Great Leap Forward (1958 to 1962) and people's communes, in addition to some natural disasters such as droughts which took place during the period.. During the Seven Thousand Cadres Conference in early 1962, Liu Shaoqi, the second Chairman of the PRC, formally attributed the famine 30% to natural disasters and 70% to man-made errors ("三分天灾, 七分人祸"). After the launch of Reforms and Opening Up, the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) officially stated in June 1981 that the famine was mainly due to the mistakes of the Great Leap Forward as well as the Anti-Rightist Campaign, in addition to some natural disasters and the Sino-Soviet split.

Asked about the Borders going into Tier 2 rather than 1, NS replied “As we first migrate onto this new system,” she says “we will apply a degree of caution just to make sure we’re not taking risks that are greater than we should be.”

I agree we shouldn't be taking unecessary risks, but if a LA's numbers dicate it should go into a particular tier, then thats where it should go. Dropping down a tier is going to be the same slow, cautious manner that was employed in the summer with the lockdown

21 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

My aunt is 105, my Mum's 93.

Your aunt must have got the 30 years my cousin never got. Plus 5 of the 13 his sister didn't get. No idea where your mother got her "extra" 23 from.

3 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

I've had both good and bad experiences with unions but the idea not joining one is a net good idea across everyone is nuts.

In the 1960’s I worked as a fireman on steam engines then diesel ones.

There were two unions we could join. ASLEF & NUR but I cannae remember which union I’m referring to. As we worked shiftwork a lot of the young married fireman worked as labourers at the local harbour to make extra money. It got so bad that the union placed a note in their notice-board reminding everyone that you could only have one job while working in the railway.

About the same time there was an article in the newspapers about a railway union leader being offered a part-time job on the Electricity Quango. It was worth £1000 per year. That was almost double what I earned as a fireman. Needless to say the railway union executives approved it.

One rule for them and another rule for us.

And I doubt if anything has changed.

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Closing schools to slightly prolong the lives of people in their 70s and 80s is a terrible exchange.

see below

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

I think you'd find everyone on here would agree with this. 

I dinnae and I'm on here.

1 hour ago, Tynierose said:

Its about time Schools were shut to get the pubs open.   Schools are a waste of time, everyone knows its all about the university of life.

Spot on. I left school in 5th year and now  earn a five figure sum. Complete waste of time.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

As a fully paid up cult member, though, your opinion is inherently biased.

Are you calling me a cult?

As a senior citizen of 77 years of age with underlying health issues, of course I'm biased.

Edited by Wee Willie

25 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Why would restrictions in Dundee impact the Stirling Council area?

Pints by the Falls of Dochart in Killin though. 😍

Knew it was a gamble but couldn't be arsed checking. Dammit.  Should have played it safe with Aberfeldy. 

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I didn't see the briefing, but i'm assuming NS covered all of the detail, including the confidence interval and highlighted text?

20201028_132124.jpg

20201028_132225.jpg

Only looking at the twitter updates but yeah, she did say that: 

And what they mean by 'of any kind' is discharges where a person tested negative before discharge to a care home, or tested positive, or were not tested at all.

It is important though for me to point out that the level of certainty about that conclusion differs in each of these three scenarios, but the overall conclusion is as I have stated