Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Don't forget the importance of the denizens of Pie and Bovril in your personal development.

There's plenty of crossover.

That said I joined P&B at 16 so there's a really distburbing amount of truth there.

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

Exactly it's about priorities. Imagine that wee Krankie prioritising education over boozing eh ? The virus is everywhere, we all know that and the SG have acknowledged that despite the mewling from the same half dozen or so on here that the SG thinks C19 stops at the school gates. They know it doesn't as much as we do but a full cross party consensus within the SG is education is a priority. But the perception amongst the hard core is that it should be blended thus magically allowing their beloved boozers to reopen. I like a pint as much as the next person but if it comes to a priority of pint or kids in school then it's surely a no brainer for the vast majority of rational thinkers.

The argument of schools and pubs is probably a more valid one given we were told if they adapted they way they operate they are safe but not the argument schools or pubs.

Absolutely no one is saying pubs should be prioritised over schools or that getting a pint is more important than getting an education.

They're saying that maintaining schools are safe - which is exactly what the government are doing in not enforcing distancing as required in every other sector of society, not making masks compulsory as required in every other sector of society and saying they'll remain fully open without these restrictions even in level 4 - doesn't make sense. You'd have a point if the government said they were aware this was a risk but felt it was worth taking to avoid disrupting education; they have never done this. If that's their approach then they could say so, but their consistent message is that schools are safe.

In general, away from the schools issue, people are saying that they want to know what the long term strategy is as even in the event that everything was closed (schools included), a zero-Covid outcome is clearly not possible, so what is the government hoping to achieve through the tier system? Is it simply to stop the NHS being overrun when things get close to that point, as forecasts show is an imminent risk in Lanarkshire, reduce cases until the NHS isn't in danger, open things up at that point then start locking down again further a few months down when cases inevitably increase again? Is it to just to tide us over with as low a case rate as possible until a vaccine emerges, and if no viable vaccine emerges for months/years will we do this indefinitely?

No one's saying those are questions with easy answers and I doubt anyone envies governments having to make those decisions. At the same time though they're all entirely valid questions which impact every area of society and people have valid reasons for asking them. It's not just that they want to go out and get hammered, it's people wanting to keep their jobs, see family and friends, catch up on routine medical treatment, be able to do anything outside their house during winter when spending months in the same building could have a serious impact on mental health.

Reducing this issue to simply schools v pubs is obviously a ridiculous comparison, and it would only have one winner. The only person doing that is you.

14 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

What would / will the benefit be from that model of education, what would be the reward for having the 8% of kids living with an abusive or addicted parent moving into a blended learning model not to mention the parents who simply don't give a f**k.
Yes schools undoubtedly contribute to infections the same as any other sector but the small reduction blended learning would contribute would not give a reward great enough to merit it. Anyone who thinks sectors currently closed or restricted would be able to reopen if we moved to a blended learning model has their head firmly in the sand. The rewards for the disruption it would cause are simply not great enough.

I don't know why it needs to be said so often, but schools never closed to every pupil and they never will. 

The cesspit 4 are still producing 82% of daily positive tests. Sure SG would have hoped their overwhelming share of the virus would be decreasing as an overall percentage by now. That percentage has been between 80-83% for 2 weeks solid.

Absolutely no one is saying pubs should be prioritised over schools or that getting a pint is more important than getting an education.
They're saying that maintaining schools are safe - which is exactly what the government are doing in not enforcing distancing as required in every other sector of society, not making masks compulsory as required in every other sector of society and saying they'll remain fully open without these restrictions even in level 4 - doesn't make sense. You'd have a point if the government said they were aware this was a risk but felt it was worth taking to avoid disrupting education; they have never done this. If that's their approach then they could say so, but their consistent message is that schools are safe.
In general, away from the schools issue, people are saying that they want to know what the long term strategy is as even in the event that everything was closed (schools included), a zero-Covid outcome is clearly not possible, so what is the government hoping to achieve through the tier system? Is it simply to stop the NHS being overrun when things get close to that point, as forecasts show is an imminent risk in Lanarkshire, reduce cases until the NHS isn't in danger, open things up at that point then start locking down again further a few months down when cases inevitably increase again? Is it to just to tide us over with as low a case rate as possible until a vaccine emerges, and if no viable vaccine emerges for months/years will we do this indefinitely?
No one's saying those are questions with easy answers and I doubt anyone envies governments having to make those decisions. At the same time though they're all entirely valid questions which impact every area of society and people have valid reasons for asking them. It's not just that they want to go out and get hammered, it's people wanting to keep their jobs, see family and friends, catch up on routine medical treatment, be able to do anything outside their house during winter when spending months in the same building could have a serious impact on mental health.
Reducing this issue to simply schools v pubs is obviously a ridiculous comparison, and it would only have one winner. The only person doing that is you.
It just seems that way on here sometimes unfortunately. That said I think we all realise nowhere is "safe" from C19, schools included, I'm not sure if the SG are saying that or not. It's 100% a calculated risk .
I am yet to see what the reward would be if schools moved to a blended model and there would need to be one. What do those constantly whining about schools being operating as normal expect the rewards to be of them moving to blended learning ? I mean genuine gains not the usual shite about not appeasing working / daytime telly watching parents etc.

Hopefully this new system allows for a simple website where you can plug in your postcode and it tells you the tier you're in then. Not the 16th Oct or whatever, but the there and now. 

Got to put my hands up here admit that I no longer have a bloody clue what the guidelines are in my area (NE Scotland).  Missed the start of Nicola's briefing just now and so I have no idea if what she's currently saying applies to me or just the Central Belt. Between the news focus on the Central Belt and all things Manchester, everything has just become completely scrambled.  I feel bad about it, but if the truth be told, the result of this is me being on the edge of saying "f*** it" (I won't though), but I can imagine that many, many (who don't read this daily or watch all briefings from start to finish) will. 

To be fair, I don't think people are annoyed so much about schools being kept open at the expense of other areas, but the rather the SG's dogmatic approach and seeming refusal to acknowledge schools are a risk.   To my knowledge they've not come out and said "We know schools are a risk, but they are important and we need to close other sectors to help mitigate that risk".  Whilst that wouldn't be any consolation to those who find their livelihoods threatened, it would be a much more honest conversation and one more closely resembling the "grown up conversation" we were promised.  

2 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Hopefully this new system allows for a simple website where you can plug in your postcode and it tells you the tier you're in then. Not the 16th Oct or whatever, but the there and now. 

Got to put my hands up here admit that I no longer have a bloody clue what the guidelines are in my area (NE Scotland).  Missed the start of Nicola's briefing just now and so I have no idea if what she's currently saying applies to me or just the Central Belt. Between the news focus on the Central Belt and all things Manchester, everything has just become completely scrambled.  I feel bad about it, but if the truth be told, the result of this is me being on the edge of saying "f*** it" (I won't though), but I can imagine that many, many (who don't read this daily or watch all briefings from start to finish) will. 

Should be clearer tomorrow, and they're setting up a postcode checker.

2 hours ago, G51 said:

Think it should be noted that Ireland is already starting to see a pretty significant reduction in cases and COVID-positive hospitalisations following the new lockdown, which came in to force last week.

Monday was a bank holiday so today will be the big test as Tuesday's data starts to come in.

Latest: - https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1028/1174323-coronavirus-ireland/

That's the plan, a postcode checker is planned.

My wife is a teacher and in her school the measures are that staff and students wear masks in corridors and communal areas.  Classroom layouts have been changed to rows of single desks, which are all measured to be more than 2m away from the teachers desk.  Seating plans are recorded every lesson in case contact tracing is required.  At the end of every lesson pupils are required to clean their desks with sanitising wipes.  Windows and doors are kept open at all times to provide ventilation.  I think the timetable has been changed as well to mean longer classes with fewer changeovers but I can't remember exactly.  Staff training days etc are being done virtually as are parents evenings.

They've had three positive tests since August.  No idea if they were picked up in school or not.  

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

The virus isn't out of control and all the evidence is pointing to it now being an endemic seasonal virus. Every country in Europe from Belarus which took no precautions through Sweden, Germany, Belgium,  France, Italy, the UK and Spain is entering a second wave. The clear lesson to take from that is that a second wave (and a third wave next winter) is inevitable without a national quarinitine like NZ.

Shutting schools might flatten the curve slightly but the reward isn't worth it. Closing schools to slightly prolong the lives of people in their 70s and 80s is a terrible exchange.

Maybe not so much if you're in your 70s or 80s.

I can't imagine that the owners of a pub in Killin will be too chuffed at having to close because of a Tier 3 outbreak in Dundee

Probably been the same with Aberfoyle etc because of the blanket NHS Forth Valley banner.