Coronavirus (COVID-19)

It would be typical of the WM government that, should a vaccine be available next month, they would roll it out in the area perhaps least needing of it, rather than their Tier 3 areas. Unless, of course, they want to 'prove' how effective it is by using it first in areas where deaths and serious cases are already relatively low.

To be honest, rolling it out first of all in central London is what gives me some hope the story might be at least partially true rather than completely made up. The UK Gov response is focussed almost entirely on London so I’ve no doubt vaccinations will begin there.

I know his predictions are generally terrible but it was interesting seeing Leitch say yesterday he thinks we could have the vaccine before Christmas. He’s generally a prophet of doom on that front - it won’t be Monday but the mood music across all fronts suggests the vaccine trials are going well, at the very least.

30 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Far from only testing symptomatic people, around ⅔ of people recently tested had no symptoms.

Why are we testing so many asymptomatic people with a test that is most useful 2 days following the onset of symptoms?

It seems that this data comes from a survey of households that volunteer (I think) to take part

Not entirely sure what the point of that is? 

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2256942-exclusive-concerns-raised-about-vital-uk-covid-19-infection-survey/

5 minutes ago, madwullie said:

It seems that this data comes from a survey of households that volunteer (I think) to take part

Not entirely sure what the point of that is? 

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2256942-exclusive-concerns-raised-about-vital-uk-covid-19-infection-survey/

Finally we agree on something

3 minutes ago, Forest_Fifer said:
10 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:
You really do just ignore anything you see with your that doesn't suit your POV.
It's impressive. I'll give you that.

You're a fine one to talk.

There is a difference between disputing something you don't agree with and just ignoring it entirely.

34 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:
Far from only testing symptomatic people, around ⅔ of people recently tested had no symptoms.

Why are we testing so many asymptomatic people with a test that is most useful 2 days following the onset of symptoms?

I think this is the ONS survey where they test a general cross section of the population rather than the tests you book if you have symptoms.

It’s estimated that 10,000 children a day are dying of hunger as a result of the woke middle class leftie lockdown in the west.
It’s no longer some abstract cause. Their political agenda is killing thousands of children around the world.
And they don’t care 
Citation. Fucking. Needed.

I dont have a vaccine guy. You are now my vaccine guy. 

Here’s what I’ve heard, Oxford is imminent for fast-track authorisation as the high infection levels in the U.K. have sped up the trials. Pfizer and Moderna have data reads 21/11 and “1-2 weeks later” respectively. Johnson & Johnson is a few months behind but is likely to be the best vaccine yet. It could be that the early vaccines are used to buy us time before more effective ones are available.

The first three will not give full sterilising immunity but likely to cause reductions in illness severity for 60%-80% of their users for a period of 1-3 years. J&J, if and when available, gives better protection in the upper respiratory tract meaning it will stop you both catching and spreading covid. Even still, the first three should be sufficient for society to return to significant normality by mid-2021 and it may be that we need to just repeat manufacture those vaccines annually. Covid will still exist in the population and there will still be deaths every year as with the flu, but there will be little to no prospect of health systems rapidly becoming overwhelmed.

8 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I think this is the ONS survey where they test a general cross section of the population rather than the tests you book if you have symptoms.

No, it is.

But why are we doing this still, when we can't efficiently process the tests that people book?

I don't see the value at all.

If a vaccine is ready for christmas they should put the shot in a cracker with a wee joke and a mini moustache to brighten up the sombre mood in Blighty.

* The public will also know that anyone wearing a small plastic moustache is safe to interact with without fear of infection.
The party hat would maybe be easier to pick out in a crowd though.

1 minute ago, Forest_Fifer said:
11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:
I suspect these "leaks" are just made up. This one's from the Sun.
dk-graphic-scotland-councils-2.jpg&key=86d42f3f460cd5dcc6694515e07eef3c02cf1894aee43ef22fa41acc2a3e4318

Scottish boarders? So the hotel's will still be open then?

Shetlands Islands as well. Top quality stuff from The Sun as usual.

4 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Do you see us wearing masks etc forever more? Surely if covid follows the trend of h1 viruses it will become less harmful over time due to the virus mutating? 

The Chinese students at Edinburgh Uni were noticeable before Covid for walking about town with masks on even on hot days. It must be now the done thing to wear masks given the outbreaks of H1N1 and bird flu they've had in that part of the world in the last 20 years.

I admit I used to think "what a daft lot". And now I'm wearing a mask.