Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Anyone who seriously believes there will be compulsory mask wearing, sectors like hospitality still under restrictions and limited social mixing in your house after the roll out of a working effective vaccine is either deranged or has some twisted reason for not wanting to believe that. Any government imposing restrictions like that would simply be out on its arse as it would be the easiest election to win ever for any opposition party. Regardless of narratives now which, understandably in the midst of the pandemic will be cautious as best, this simply won't happen.
As for actively peddling the narrative that this will never end it's fear mongering of the worst type.

6 minutes ago, renton said:

Aye, I wrote a while back that for this to be in any way a useful exercise and to have the compliance of the nation then the tiers must be adhered to, none of this partial shit.

Edinburgh in the same tier as Glasgow is not supported by either the caseloads or the direction of travel in the trends.

If you can have a meal and a drink in Edinburgh people will just head east from the areas with stricter restrictions. 

With stuff like closing barbers and hair dressers in Lanarkshire this week people will just go to Glasgow. It's fifteen minutes away!

Just now, Detournement said:

If you can have a meal and a drink in Edinburgh people will just head east from the areas with stricter restrictions. 

With stuff like closing barbers and hair dressers in Lanarkshire this week people will just go to Glasgow. It's fifteen minutes away!

So it comes down to the fact that a tiered system without enforcing travel restrictions won't work, and you are back to a blunt instrument of more or less locking the whole thing down regardless of local caseloads.

9 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Could do a month or so of Tier 3 until December quite easily, Tier 4 is brutal though.

I know you're in Leith but I cannot see Glasgow getting anything better than tier 3 for months. 

Case numbers will remain pretty steady or will even rise in tier 4 given The Elephant. Meanwhile "av goat two weans" will blame it on "scum" "breaking the rules".

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Could they stop running trains or block motorways etc? Only way I can see it being enforced, especially for things like barbers as you say.

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

I know you're in Leith but I cannot see Glasgow getting anything better than tier 3 for months. 

Case numbers will remain pretty steady or will even rise in tier 4 given The Elephant. Meanwhile "av goat two weans" will blame it on "scum" "breaking the rules".

Tier 3 over the festive season would be a sore one.  Been going without catching up with mates a few times quite easily in the hope it they'll get rearranged fairly shortly.

1 minute ago, renton said:

So it comes down to the fact that a tiered system without enforcing travel restrictions won't work, and you are back to a blunt instrument of more or less locking the whole thing down regardless of local caseloads.

That is the reality with good transport links. 

Just surprising to me that anyone can be bothered wasting their time writing the same boring, mad old pish day after day. Not even like it successful trolling as no one pays it any attention.
He is on ignore so I don't read his pish - not unless someone quotes him.

(That's a wee plea to those pointlessly arguing with him)

This is why East Lothian are getting it a bit tight being bracketed with Edinburgh.  The 2 areas are too closely connected, Musselburgh would be chaos with everyone travelling through Porty and half of Niddrie/Craigmillar descending upon it and the toffs east of the Pans certainly wouldn't be happy.with those travelling further afield.

Edited by Boostin' Kev

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Anyone who seriously believes there will be compulsory mask wearing, sectors like hospitality still under restrictions and limited social mixing in your house after the roll out of a working effective vaccine is either deranged or has some twisted reason for not wanting to believe that.

Given the utter madness that has overcome the governments in the UK I don't think anything would surprise me anymore tbh.

Election wise, with the next ScotGov elections (after May) not until 2025, and the next UK election not till 2024 that's not quite the deterrent it could be either.

4 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Tier 3 over the festive season would be a sore one.  Been going without catching up with mates a few times quite easily in the hope it they'll get rearranged fairly shortly.

The thing is, that letter is basically saying that even if you get to tier 1, you won't necessarily get the benefits of it.

2 minutes ago, renton said:

Pretty much.

I think the only reason they are swithering about Dundee is the level of interaction with the surrounding LAs.

Obviously Glasgow,Edinburgh and Aberdeen pull more people in but I would guess that the towns around these places are much more self sufficient than the ones surrounding Dundee. There must be close to 30,000 people in Perthshire, Angus and Fife who would need to be doing 30/40 mile round trips to supermarkets if they had to sit in their own LA.

Obviously shopping, outdoor exercise, medical appointments  key workers are are all exempt. 

But by the time you have that level of cross border traffic you can't regulate the rest of it. So it's either fingers crossed for compliance or regional/national lockdowns.

There’s no way to stop this unfortunately. Such is life under localised restrictions.

You just need to hope the vast majority follow, or we go back into national measures.

What is open in tier 3 that isn't in tier 4? Cafes, "non essential" shops, gyms and barbers/hairdressers? How will closing any of these things drive down infection rates? 

Tier 0 limits you to a max of 8 people from 3 households btw. Murder, and we won't get near that without a vaccine in anything approaching built up areas of Scotland.

Anyone who genuinely thinks Level 0 is nearly normal is at it.

Living in the Covid incubator that is Lanarkshire, I'd kill to be anywhere near Level 0.

Level 4 here we fucking come.

Why has Glasgow and Lanarkshire been so badly effected by this? Have folk just not been following the guidelines or is it because its a densely populated area?