Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

... Except that the SG already stretched out restrictions longer than required this summer because it listened to Devi Sridhar's nonsense pipe dream about acheiving zero Covid, thereby wasting weeks of everybody's time.

Yet around us the pandemic rages, most counties have measures of varying force (and did so over the summer) and nothing you said there has any relevance to the enforced lifetime of masking that some are predicting. 

Globally, if everyone else is back to normal and were still not at the football (etc) the govt will be gone, previous goodwill or not. This is a pointless discussion. 

Edited by madwullie

6 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Yet around us the pandemic rages, most counties have measures of varying force (and did so over the summer) and nothing you said there has any relevance to the enforced lifetime of masking that some are predicting. 

It has direct relevance to your mewling shite about how the government will only take measures that are absolutely necessary and time limited: what with the government in Edinburgh having already kept in place unnecessary restrictions before for total nonsense reasons.

Globally, if everyone else is back to normal and were still not at the football (etc) the govt will be gone, previous goodwill or not. This is a pointless discussion. 

It's a pointless discussion while you keep building ridiculous straw man arguments about restrictions here v a Covid-free rest of the world, that's for sure.

Edited by vikingTON

44 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

They aren't nearly normal, though, are they?

It's all down to justification, at the moment we've got a highly contagious virus which is a global pandemic and there's no vaccine, so this and every other Government can easily justify their actions to any sane individual, however if a working vaccine becomes available then there's no way that "restrictions" could be expected to continue without justification and really why would they want to do this in any case ??

As such, I can't see what you're getting so annoyed about.

7 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Nail on head.

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

It has direct relevance to your mewling shite about how the government will only take measures that are absolutely necessary and time limited: what with the government in Edinburgh having already kept in place unnecessary restrictions before for total nonsense reasons.

It's a pointless discussion while you keep building ridiculous straw man arguments about restrictions here v a Covid-free rest of the world, that's for sure.

tenor (4).gif

Here is a Government letter to COSLA today concerning tiers for a few areas. Confirmation that Tier 4 is being considered for Lanarkshire.

Edinburgh and especially East Lothian in Tier 3 seems pretty wild, I have to say. I understand maybe a couple more weeks could help suppress levels that bit further but East Lothian would be Tier 1 in England.

They also make note that several rural areas are looking at moving to Tier 1, but with the added restriction of no in-home meetings. If they want that to be a part of Tier 1 why is it not included? We haven’t even started this system and we’re looking like following the English lunacy of creating tiers within tiers.

Just now, WATTOO said:

It's all down to justification, at the moment we've got a highly contagious virus which is a global pandemic and there's no vaccine, so this and every other Government can easily justify their actions to any sane individual, however if a working vaccine becomes available then there's no way that "restrictions" could be expected to continue without justification and really why would they want to do this in any case ??

As such, I can't see what you're getting so annoyed about.

I'm not getting annoyed. I'm more surprised by people who, even when shown the parts of the SG's plans that are quite clear that even with a vaccine "as close to normal as possible" is the furthest they are going to relax things, are insistent that they really mean it'll all be normal after a wee bit.

The straw man arguments about restrictions elsewhere are pointless too, when there are places with hardly any restrictions (or even none at all in the likes of Florida) in place currently.

18 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

What are you talking about?

You posted false quotes to indicate that the SG would enforce permanent restrictions, whatever the Covid risk, and after a vaccine. What would any government have to gain by that? 

19 minutes ago, madwullie said:

If you're well aware of what they do in the lead up to flu season, and that's not really normal, then what exactly is it you're predicting here, and based on what. 

There are more measures than just masks and avoiding crowds, as you're obviously well aware of as you seemingly know all these measures from bad flu seasons. 

Call me a name again and I'll be reporting you to the moderators. This is meant to be a safe space. 

The original response I was replying to was the tweet that said even with a covid vaccine, we’d have to wear masks and avoid crowds. You can surely see that isn’t “normal” compared to posters in a doctors surgery and the receptionist phoning people to get a flu vaccine 

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

You posted false quotes to indicate that the SG would enforce permanent restrictions, whatever the Covid risk, and after a vaccine. What would any government have to gain by that? 

Why don't you ask the SG - They produced the plan.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

We already have many restrictions that don't exist in other countries in term of licensing laws, drugs, planning permissions, free speech. 

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

I'm not getting annoyed. I'm more surprised by people who, even when shown the parts of the SG's plans that are quite clear that even with a vaccine "as close to normal as possible" is the furthest they are going to relax things, are insistent that they really mean it'll all be normal after a wee bit.

The straw man arguments about restrictions elsewhere are pointless too, when there are places with hardly any restrictions (or even none at all in the likes of Florida) in place currently.

They really aren't though, we sit night after night discussing this and you wheel out Sweden against the rest of the world, so basically Sweden are right (and Florida) but everyone else has screwed up big style.

Covid's not a threat, it's just a Government conspiracy to keep folk out the pub and their neighbours house and they'll destroy the world economy just to make sure we cannae go tae the fitba on a Saturday and have a pint afterwards.

Ok, we get it............

10 minutes ago, Paco said:

Here is a Government letter to COSLA today concerning tiers for a few areas. Confirmation that Tier 4 is being considered for Lanarkshire.

Edinburgh and especially East Lothian in Tier 3 seems pretty wild, I have to say. I understand maybe a couple more weeks could help suppress levels that bit further but East Lothian would be Tier 1 in England.

They also make note that several rural areas are looking at moving to Tier 1, but with the added restriction of no in-home meetings. If they want that to be a part of Tier 1 why is it not included? We haven’t even started this system and we’re looking like following the English lunacy of creating tiers within tiers.

Aye, I wrote a while back that for this to be in any way a useful exercise and to have the compliance of the nation then the tiers must be adhered to, none of this partial shit.

Edinburgh in the same tier as Glasgow is not supported by either the caseloads or the direction of travel in the trends.

26 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

😂 liar

Todd, we all have different priorities in life so chill out with your emotive language.

If my family make it through this then that's the best possible outcome.

4 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Despite record numbers of tests apparently being done, testing centres are empty.

Something doesn’t add up....

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-09-19/coronavirus-test-centres-across-uk-hotspot-appear-virtually-empty

The one near me is far from empty. Prestwick is seeing about 400 cars a day