Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I find it staggering that, in just 7 months, a "three week lockdown to save the NHS being overrun" has turned into a "permanent measures even with a vaccine" and people are actually OK with it.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Edinburgh to be in Tier 3 apparently. 
Wonder if Glasgow and the surrounding areas will be in Tier 4. 
The Scotsman saying that Lanarkshire is under consideration for Level 4. That would be gutting but probably not surprising.

For once I think Sturgeon was pretty careless with her words on this.

The way she phrased it when she was announcing it was that this was for a 16 day period, full stop. No mention of an initial 16 days and then we'll see how things are.

I suppose you could say that everything is fluid and an extension or at least the possibility of one was obvious, but it was unusual for her not to state that it was the case.

As far as I remember listening to the announcement at the time, she said it would be a 16 day period but at the end of that period some areas might not be going back to the previous restrictions depending on case numbers in different areas

57 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Yes I get that. I was asking for people's thoughts on, once the vaccine is here, still having masks, distancing and no large crowds indefinitely.

Does the tweeter not just mean it won't be an overnight thing? We won't announce the vaccine one day and life is normal the next, it'll take a lot of time to roll it out for everyone that needs it and during that time we will likely still be under some sort of restrictions.

I can't see justification for indefinite restrictions for a virus we have a vaccine for.

Anyone been looking at the PHS dashboard?

https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

Fairly interesting stuff. You can get all the neighbourhood incidence rates, and the trends for different LAs and healthboards. These are arranged by specimen date, rather than by the date of test announcement. That means it gives a clearer trend of when infections were relative to the lag in the test system - though it obviously makes the last couple of data points more suspect than the daily announced data, since you'd expect more to be added on to those dates as the week progresses.

Still though, if you look at some of the different LAs:

Glasgow City

image.thumb.png.1865c3ea7a87abf250ccd59541355636.png

North Lanarkshire:

image.thumb.png.d5a421815e4ab7895067b0faf15c379e.png

South Lanarkshire:

image.thumb.png.0447aac92351a5a189f04ea0cb51000a.png

Edinburgh City:

image.thumb.png.114ed944b7489fc7477aae8485d8b2ff.png

Dundee City:

image.thumb.png.fb8f5437b6ddb66630aaf22e62da6353.png

Aberdeen City:

image.thumb.png.fce371b58bb36eec526ff3c23038e8ba.png

Looks like Glasgow City may have flattened out, and Lanarkshire might just be starting to slope off a bit. Edinburgh seems to have peaked around the 6th October, and Aberdeen on the 12th. Dundee might have flattened off but isn't showing a decrease in cases yet, albeit it's period of growth didn't take off until a bit later, around the end of September/start of October.

based on that, you could make the case that Edinbrugh should be a tier lower than Glasgow - lower case loads overall and a seemingly decreasing trend, and Aberdeen a tier below Edinburgh. Guess it depends where they decide to stick the west as to where the rest of us end up, relatively speaking.

Still though, this was the really interesting, and probably not surprising statistic - infections by deprivation index:

image.thumb.png.e0d109bbd27973660f6ac67b25b91442.png

Consistently it's the more deprived quintile's that are getting hit hardest. Not a huge surprise I guess, if they are more likely to be doing face to face jobs, and not white collar home working.

Edited by renton

13 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Does the tweeter not just mean it won't be an overnight thing? We won't announce the vaccine one day and life is normal the next, it'll take a lot of time to roll it out for everyone that needs it and during that time we will likely still be under some sort of restrictions.

I can't see justification for indefinite restrictions for a virus we have a vaccine for.

You can read the tweet the same as I can. She gives no indication they are going away at any point. I've seen a few blue tick doctors saying that masks, distancing etc will be permanent so i'm quite satisfied that she means so too.

Edited by Todd_is_God

12 minutes ago, Mr Tourette said:

As far as I remember listening to the announcement at the time, she said it would be a 16 day period but at the end of that period some areas might not be going back to the previous restrictions depending on case numbers in different areas

The transcript is on here somewhere. When announcing it she gave no such indication.

5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

You can read the tweet the same as I can. She gives no indication they are going away at any point. I've seen a few blue tick doctors saying that masks, distancing etc will be permanent so i'm quite satisfied that she means so too.

I would need to know their justification for keeping those things in place because it wouldn't make sense to me to keep them in place if the vulnerable are protected. We can't live for the rest of mankind with distancing, we require quite intimate interaction to continue the species...

3 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Atm yes. And if there are continued measures globally in your doomsday hypothetical situation will you still be blaming wee nippy? 

Fair enough. After all it is an SNP government that have produced a blueprint for "living with the virus" which includes restrictions being in place even following the deployment of a vaccine "on a large enough scale"

Therefore a vote for the SNP is a vote endorsing this policy.

You talk about measures being in place globally as if the measures that apply currently in central Scotland are the same all over the place. They simply aren't.

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I would need to know their justification for keeping those things in place because it wouldn't make sense to me to keep them in place if the vulnerable are protected. We can't live for the rest of mankind with distancing, we require quite intimate interaction to continue the species...

The justification appears to be that it won't be a sterilising vaccine, rather one which boosts the immune response / lessens the severity of the symptoms in those who develop the disease.

As others have mentioned this is esssntially how the flu vaccine works. I'm with you that it makes no sense.

I'm also aware that this is a doctor speaking and not a leader of a government, but as NS is clearly of the opinion that this is both an acceptable strategy, and one that people will accept, I am concerned.