Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

You work in a supermarket iirc. Can honestly see a lot of pissed off folk having to stand out in the pishing wet/cold/windy days to be “allowed in”. It’s alright saying get online delivery but a lot of folk don’t want that 

steve coogan shrug GIF

8 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

You work in a supermarket iirc. Can honestly see a lot of pissed off folk having to stand out in the pishing wet/cold/windy days to be “allowed in”. It’s alright saying get online delivery but a lot of folk don’t want that 

If they don't want to stand in the pishing rain they can use home delivery. If they don't want to use home delivery either they can fucking starve. Do you really expect Tesco to go against government restrictions/advice because Thereisonlydarkness fae Ayrshire "doesnae want that".

Honestly, my 3 year old niece has gone through this pandemic with more maturity than you have.

15 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Taking opinion on the current restrictions / need for them out of the equation, what are people's thoughts on tweets like this?

Think she is trying to get the word out that any vaccine that makes it through Phase 3 any time soon will not be expected to provide the sterilising immunity that would be required to prevent transmission and would be implemented mainly to alleviate severe symptoms in high risk patients (only needs to happen for > 50% in trials to be potentially eligible for FDA approval). That's why there is also a lot of talk of any vaccine only being made available to high risk groups, because how would most people under 50 benefit from that?

I worked for Tesco when I was a student and their customers are some of the most entitled and selfish people I have ever met. They would throw a tantrum over any minor inconvenience. 

I can only imagine what retail staff have had to put up with over the last 6 months from customers. Ironically it will be the cretins who were posting "stay safe" all over social media and sticking rainbows in their windows in March and April who will be the most entitled and difficult to deal with.

I really feel sorry for them. They’ve been made a scapegoat in all of this. I said at the time of the “16 days” announcement that it would be extended bit by bit until month(s) had passed. 
For once I think Sturgeon was pretty careless with her words on this.

The way she phrased it when she was announcing it was that this was for a 16 day period, full stop. No mention of an initial 16 days and then we'll see how things are.

I suppose you could say that everything is fluid and an extension or at least the possibility of one was obvious, but it was unusual for her not to state that it was the case.

22 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

I worked for Tesco when I was a student and their customers are some of the most entitled and selfish people I have ever met. They would throw a tantrum over any minor inconvenience. 

I can only imagine what retail staff have had to put up with over the last 6 months from customers. Ironically it will be the cretins who were posting "stay safe" all over social media and sticking rainbows in their windows in March and April who will be the most entitled and difficult to deal with.

Just get on with it.  Whatever tier we are on i will carry on like normal. Would be nice if the panic buying dosnt start again. Would be nice if social distancing started again. Mask wearing seems to be going well with colleagues (  2 staff members have been suspended because of this ) . Customer wise I feel its taken a dip . Still see too many noses.

Other than that mince pies are selling well 

30 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Think she is trying to get the word out that any vaccine that makes it through Phase 3 any time soon will not be expected to provide the sterilising immunity that would be required to prevent transmission and would be implemented mainly to alleviate severe symptoms in high risk patients (only needs to happen for > 50% in trials to be potentially eligible for FDA approval). That's why there is also a lot of talk of any vaccine only being made available to high risk groups, because how would most people under 50 benefit from that?

Isnt that kinda what the current flu vaccine does? If so then get the vulnerable vaccinated and lets get on with it. 

33 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Yes I get that. I was asking for people's thoughts on, once the vaccine is here, still having masks, distancing and no large crowds indefinitely.

2 hours ago, Paco said:

The main thing that would have to happen if restricted crowds are allowed is maintaining streams as an option.

No point in Ross County for example opening up to 650 or so (based on a guess of a 10% capacity limit) which would likely all be season ticket holders, and removing the opportunity to sell streams to PATG/away punters.

2 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

It would be incredibly petty of Sky and the SPFL to ban club streams when only a small number of fans are allowed in. Sky already pay pretty much zero interest to games they aren't showing live.

The SPFL rules say that streaming can continue as long as we are still in the "Restricted Period", and this includes any time where there is reduced capacity.

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 15.43.29.png

44 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/tv/man-who-went-tesco-pants-19165373

Yes I get that. I was asking for people's thoughts on, once the vaccine is here, still having masks, distancing and no large crowds indefinitely.
Once a vaccine is here I will be happy enough to maximise my distance from people in setting likes shops etc, even to wear a mask if said shops mandate it. I wont be happy with any business being told to be closed at that point, I think football crowds should be back if not at full capacity, as near as. An unprecedented amount of work will have been put in to making sure there is something to stand agaisnt this virus (a vaccine) rather than nothing, which was the case initially. At that point, it is disproportionate to keep going the way we are and it's time to say we have given a fighting chance against this one disease at unfathomable cost, now its time to consider it as part of life, continue to improve treatments etc obviously and set about undoing all of the other damage

15 minutes ago, H Wragg said:

For once I think Sturgeon was pretty careless with her words on this.

The way she phrased it when she was announcing it was that this was for a 16 day period, full stop. No mention of an initial 16 days and then we'll see how things are.

I suppose you could say that everything is fluid and an extension or at least the possibility of one was obvious, but it was unusual for her not to state that it was the case.

I'm not sure. It's an identical play to that first lockdown. She knows if she says "i'm shutting hospitality for 4 months" she'd get no buy in, so announcing a short, time-limited period gets enough of the "fgs it's only 16 days!!11!" brigade onside to ensure it can be implemented without much fuss, then once its in place it goes nowhere.

If NS was your reporting manager at work, you wouldn't believe a word she said, so i've no idea why so many hang on her every word.

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
47 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
Which LA, and therefore "tier" is inveraray anticipated to be in?

Definitely Argyll and Bute, was missed out the earlier "prediction" for some reason.

Yeah A&B was my assumption then didnt see it and wondered if I was missing something! 

Edited by Bairnardo

19 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Isnt that kinda what the current flu vaccine does? If so then get the vulnerable vaccinated and lets get on with it. 

More or less on the first bit. Think that's what will happen eventually on the second bit one way or another. If it becomes endemic because immunity after infection only has limited duration, people will hopefully keep going on hand sanitising but other measures will be difficult to sustain long term because it just isn't deadly enough to healthy people under 60 for the fear factor to remain where it is now. The onus will wind up being on the vulnerable to do what they can to look after themselves as it is with stuff like the flu.

37 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Would that not all depend on how good the vaccine is - if it will vaccinate 90% of people that its administered to then we can get back to normal, hopefully maintaining good hand hygiene. If the vaccine is only successful in 50% of cases then a long term relaxation to the level we were at in July is more likely.