Coronavirus (COVID-19)

The criteria to determine which tier an LA will fall into is due to be published this week. If as stated a few posts back that criteria will NOT be based on the prevelance within a specific LA area but it's proximity to areas of concern then it's going to be a mighty hard sell especially to the hospitality sector.

ETA question just asked re this, travel bans would appear to be the response but god knows how you police that. Also NS has basically rubbished the system already as she has just confirmed that tier X restrictions don't necessarily mean the published restrictions, they can amend those for an area on an adhoc basis. So an area could be moved down a tier but some of the restrictions from the tier above may still apply. It's really no different to what we have now, basically a confusing shambles by the sounds of it !

8 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Is there any reason to believe the SFA won’t allow socially distanced crowds if the government does?

I suppose it depends on what level of crowds are allowed back. The costs or reopening the stadium needs to be considered against how much walk up income the clubs can expect.

18 minutes ago, Steven W said:

I think the SFA will put some hurdles in place to stop that happening anyway. Until such a time Rangers and Celtic fans can get in, doubt anyones getting in.

I'm all for letting those manky fuckers mix as much as they want, as long as they stay away from the rest of us.

8 minutes ago, super_carson said:
14 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Is there any reason to believe the SFA won’t allow socially distanced crowds if the government does?

They may argue that unless all teams can have supporters, then none will. Realistically, it will be until the old firm are allowed fans.

Correct

9 minutes ago, renton said:

I suppose it depends on what level of crowds are allowed back. The costs or reopening the stadium needs to be considered against how much walk up income the clubs can expect.

This isn't really anything to do with the SFA or the Scottish government - it's up to each individual club to make that decision once they are allowed to have fans. I don't see any reason why the SFA would be blocking clubs from having fans at games once the government allows it - all of the SFA's advice to clubs to date has been based directly on Scottish Government advice. Until now, the restrictions have been at a national level so it has made sense to have a single set of rules for clubs.

The idea that they are going to intentionally deny dozens of clubs across the country the chance to generate income purely to satisfy some need for consistency across the country doesn't seem hugely likely to me, particularly when it's based on government guidelines.

If, by December, there are some areas of Scotland with big stadiums in Level 1, but Glasgow isn't, I can even see them considering moving the Scottish Cup final to one of those areas if the logistics allow it.

Edited by craigkillie

Even if Dundee was in Tier 1 I would have no issue with us not getting back as 

1. Will cost the club money as only ST holders would get back in

2. We are a global brand and people will travel from all over Tayside and Fife to see us. Increased demand on public transport / pubs etc.

Makes sense to me to allow crowds in on a league by league basis as you start to give an advantage to some clubs who can get punters in and those that can't.

In the absence of that I still don't see much of a problem with allowing crowds in below the SPFL. I would have said L1 and below but Falkirk/ Patrick makes that problematic.

When you consider Tier 0 still has restrictions, I don't understand why places like Orkney and Shetland, with 15 & 10 cases respectively over the last 60 days, can't be in Tier 0
Why have it if you aren't willing to use it.

And do you think that your behaviour has been good enough to earn you a tier zero ? Hmm well do you?

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

Have it on good authority that the initial tiers are as follows

Tier 4: None
Tier 3: North Lanarkshire, South Lanarkshire, Glasgow City, Renfrewshire, East Dunbartonshire, East Ayrshire, West Lothian, South Ayrshire*, North Ayrshire*, East Renfrewshire*, West Dunbartonshire*
Tier 2: Dundee, Clackmannanshire, Edinburgh, Falkirk*, Stirling*, Midlothian, East Lothian*, Inverclyde*
Tier 1: Dumfries & Galloway, Aberdeen City, Aberdeenshire, Fife, Angus, Perth & Kinross, Moray, Highlands, Scottish Borders, Shetland, Orkney, Western Isles
Tier 0: None

* - these areas should technically be one tier lower based purely on case numbers, but are being elevated due to their close proximity to higher risk areas

That would involve quite a lot changes from current restrictions. NS just said there just now that (no surprises) there would be very few changes from current restrictions

4 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

2. We are a global brand and people will travel from all over Tayside and Fife to see us. Increased demand on public transport / pubs etc.

Makes sense to me to allow crowds in on a league by league basis as you start to give an advantage to some clubs who can get punters in and those that can't.

In the absence of that I still don't see much of a problem with allowing crowds in below the SPFL. I would have said L1 and below but Falkirk/ Patrick makes that problematic.

This isn't really true, is it? United's season ticket was sold on the basis of giving fans a credit for every game that they've not been able to get in for after the first three. Therefore letting these ticket holders in for a game reduces the club's liability come next summer. Perhaps in reality most fans won't claim this refund anyway, but the club can't be absolutely certain of that.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

This isn't really true, is it? United's season ticket was sold on the basis of giving fans a credit for every game that they've not been able to get in for after the first three. Therefore letting these ticket holders in for a game reduces the club's liability come next summer. Perhaps in reality most fans won't claim this refund anyway, but the club can't be absolutely certain of that.

It depends on what level of fixed costs are incurred opening a stadium, and I have no idea about that, but I'm guessing it's not a case of 100 fans cost £X and 1000 fans costs £10X.

It might be cheaper to refund 750 fans for the game than put on a game for 750 fans.

Anyways as I said its guesswork.

The main thing that would have to happen if restricted crowds are allowed is maintaining streams as an option.

No point in Ross County for example opening up to 650 or so (based on a guess of a 10% capacity limit) which would likely all be season ticket holders, and removing the opportunity to sell streams to PATG/away punters.

If that hurdle can’t be cleared, I’m not sure we’ll have fans in the stadiums until this is all over. Hopefully it can. Capacity limits may also dictate, 15% would probably get in every season ticket holder in the alleged Tier 1 mentioned above - QoS, Peterhead, Cove, Raith, Dunfermline, East Fife, Cowdenbeath, Arbroath, Forfar, Montrose, Brechin, St Johnstone, Ross County and ICT. Aberdeen will need to come up with some sort of ballot or rotation you’d presume.

34 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This isn't really anything to do with the SFA or the Scottish government - it's up to each individual club to make that decision once they are allowed to have fans. I don't see any reason why the SFA would be blocking clubs from having fans at games once the government allows it - ...

Jason Leitch said as recently as a couple of days ago that smaller local games will have fans back first. It's easy for the HL, LL, EoS, WoS, SoS, SJFA and NCL to have fans back on something like a 300 limit.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

Dundee is more likely to go the other way to tier 3 than 1.

When it was pointed out to Leitch that crowds were a part of tiers 1 and 0 he was quick to point out this was a 1st draft. I'm going out on a limb to suggest it will be removed from tier 1.

15 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Taking opinion on the current restrictions / need for them out of the equation, what are people's thoughts on tweets like this?

The hand hygiene should have been a given for folk all their life, but aside from that the “avoid crowds” would mean no sports events, gigs etc. Can’t see anyone being ok with that