Coronavirus (COVID-19)

47 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Sweden just cannot be used as a comparison to ourselves

They can. The main reason for trying to discredit them at every opportunity is because their results are inconvenient to those pushing for lockdowns + a vaccine being the only exit strategy.

36 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Outwith me sneezing or coughing on folk, do you really believe covid could be passed to someone within 1 second of brushing past them? 

Why outwith? That's exactly the reason. And if your works canteen is like mine there is an element of queueing and engaging with the staff which is more than 1 second. 

In the grand scheme of things wearing a mask is not really a hardship 

We've not had many graphs recently so here are a couple from the Public Health England weekly surveillance reports, showing the settings where Covid outbreaks occurred last week:

Screenshot_20201025-193739_Dropbox.thumb.jpg.7fdbdcef5c7576992e59db7329c90a09.jpg

Screenshot_20201025-193635_Dropbox.thumb.jpg.6f50b2e760b323e21e8a903a5bff9f8c.jpg

The number of outbreaks in care homes are increasing sadly but it is good to see universities are heading in the right direction. They must be doing something right with remote learning across the board.

Nothing else really stands out...

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo

20 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Sweden also sacrificed thousands of pensioners, refusing to let them go to hospital and basically euthanising them in care homes with morphine where there was no oxygen available. That's how their health service didn't become overwhelmed. 

Some bunch of lads 🙇 

It's cute that you think our very own NHS had no protocols in place to deny treatment to our elderly, frail and otherwise unlikely to survive people.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Why would they when what they are doing is issuing strong advise rather than doing things the nanny state way with legally enforced regulations that treat grown adults like schoolchildren? You seem to equate agreeing with that absence of rigid compulsion and illogical regulations from populist limelight loving politicians with wanting a complete free for all when it's really about how best to get people to take responsibility and keep society functioning as normally as possible under the circumstances.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

3 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

^^^ just wants a pint

Been in pubs once since March and doubt I'll bother until they are open as they were before the pandemic. It's just not the same.

I feel sorry for those working in hospitality though with the uncertainty and financial hardship they are facing. 

It is not just all about me!

14 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

We've not had many graphs recently so here are a couple from the Public Health England weekly surveillance reports, showing the settings where Covid outbreaks occurred last week:

Screenshot_20201025-193739_Dropbox.thumb.jpg.7fdbdcef5c7576992e59db7329c90a09.jpg

Screenshot_20201025-193635_Dropbox.thumb.jpg.6f50b2e760b323e21e8a903a5bff9f8c.jpg

The number of outbreaks in care homes are increasing sadly but it is good to see universities are heading in the right direction. They must be doing something right with remote learning across the board.

Nothing else really stands out...

Schools are safe though so this must be wrong...

Also quite clear that hospitality isn't the problem, hence why it was utterly predictable that the SG's "circuit breaker" didn't work.

23 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

It's cute that you think our very own NHS had no protocols in place to deny treatment to our elderly, frail and otherwise unlikely to survive people.

You'll have to point out people holding up the way we dealt with the first wave as the ideal, because I've not personally seen many doing that. I've certainly not been doing that. 

Point is, Sweden with their lauded model kept their hospitals running by euthanising the infected elderly and refusing to let anyone enter a hospital above an arbitrary bmi. Had they not done so, their "no lockdown" model wouldn't have worked. It (also) relied on refusing hospital treatment to those who needed it. 

Edited by madwullie

13 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Was up in Dundee picking up my new motor today and drove past a couple of establishments where patrons looked to be enjoying a lovely pint outside.  Maybe a wee weekend getting booked soon.

I wouldn't hang about. We will be fucked when tiers kick in.

Things like this are just silly. Whether you agree with them or not, the restrictions that are in place at the time should apply.

Anything else would just make the restrictions look even more arbitrary as, if they could be relaxed for one particular day, there would be no logical argument against relaxing them for any other.

Edited by Todd_is_God

48 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

The fact that testing hasn't been significantly ramped up and made semi-routine for medical, nursing and care home staff in particular is baffling to me and can surely only be explained as a result of a specific choice at this stage 7 months in to the pandemic. Don't get it at all.

That's exactly what it is. It's a choice not to bother testing frontline staff so they don't end up understaffed in the event thry have to isolate, and tough shit for any of those staff who catch it from untested colleagues as a result, or indeed for patients who are in hospital for non-Covid reasons and end up catching it from staff.

1 hour ago, Tynierose said:

Was up in Dundee picking up my new motor today and drove past a couple of establishments where patrons looked to be enjoying a lovely pint outside.  Maybe a wee weekend getting booked soon.

You drove past Ferraris? Should have given me a wave!