Coronavirus (COVID-19)

25 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

They are doing this, though. Community surveys and people admitted to hospital. I'm not sure where the idea that 100% of those being tested are symptomatic comes from.

What do we do after winter if hospital levels and deaths remain absolutely normal for that time of year here and all over Europe? Pretend that it was the restrictions that ensured this, despite them being different across Europe? Or open our minds to the reality that it really isn't the super deadly virus it was thought to be?

You can only get a test in the UK if you (say you) are symptomatic. Are they still testing every patient on admittance? That will probably drive up numbers a little (but not from 5k (across Europe) a month ago to 200k this month with similar amounts of people getting tested. Presumably if these people are symptomatic they are kept in till negative? Or if they have a very mild dose can they get sent home while positive? I know my MiL had to have two negatives before she was let out. These are still beds getting taken up in corona wards, and ultimately staff looking after them that can't be rubbing cancer clinics, or warferin clinics, or all the other routine shit that keeps the nhs rumbling on. 

OK, after writing this, only hospital admittance (which says MAY need a test) and symptomatic can get you a test. The community pilot stuff is all antibody testing AFAIK like the stuff for teachers here. Basically, there's no way this small number of tests is driving a casedemic or whatever the in word is now with you Sikora-philes. Besides, hospitalisations are rising, and there's no reason to think (that I know of) that deaths, as they always always have, will soon start to track hospitalisations. It'll be interesting to see what the swedes do when this kicks off over there. 

Screenshot_20201025-180002_Chrome.jpg

Edited by madwullie

21 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

They are doing this, though. Community surveys and people admitted to hospital. I'm not sure where the idea that 100% of those being tested are symptomatic comes from.

What do we do after winter if hospital levels and deaths remain absolutely normal for that time of year here and all over Europe? Pretend that it was the restrictions that ensured this, despite them being different across Europe? Or open our minds to the reality that it really isn't the super deadly virus it was thought to be?

Sorry missed your last bit. Well I imagine the govt will take credit. Most data I've seen has shown that deaths in general were down over lockdown due to people not being out and about mixing, drinking, driving, hill climbing etc etc so the excess death here is a little bit of a red herring. Lower than normal deaths but increased to normal level with covid. 

The restrictions really aren't all that different across Europe I don't think. Broad brush strokes using a very finite number of measures, with only really footering with the detail as differences. 

Edited by madwullie

9 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Thanks guys.

Yeah, my mum, my dad and I are to stay at home for two weeks. I currently live with my parents, so need to isolate as well.

She has a cough and feels a bit chesty, but apart from that she says she's not feeling too bad.

She got track and traced via the app earlier in the week and had to isolate for two weeks anyway, but she was confident that she didn't have Coronavirus until a couple of days ago when she started having a cough.

I would be more concerned if my dad caught it, because he has a heart condition and is a bit older than my mum.

Having to stay at home is a ball ache because I was meant to be returning to work within the next week or so. However, it needs to be done.

Hopefully we'll all be well and come through this with no lasting effects.

The cast vast majority of people do mate. Just take care of her and force yer da to sleep on the couch. 

As an aside, that's interesting to see the app has worked in this case. I was pretty sceptical that people would input if they'd had a positive test, so that's quite heartening. 

One thing I don't understand is people pointing to the vastly decreased numbers of deaths from Covid over the lockdown period as evidence that somehow lockdown wasn't needed. It doesn't make any sense to me.

2 minutes ago, Gaz said:

One thing I don't understand is people pointing to the vastly decreased numbers of deaths from Covid over the lockdown period as evidence that somehow lockdown wasn't needed. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Looks good on a graph though 

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

If you allow yourself to look at it as a virus which will prove to be both endemic and seasonal it really isn't.

Respiratory virus deaths follow a broadly similar cycle every year. 2020 was just unusual in that there was a new one where more people than normal were susceptible to it came along, and it quickly killed many of those. Now that it's bedded in, there's nothing to suggest it won't just act alongside the other circulating respiratory viruses, which include coronaviruses.

14 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Sorry missed your last bit. Well I imagine the govt will take credit. Most data I've seen has shown that deaths in general were down over lockdown due to people not being out and about mixing, drinking, driving, hill climbing etc etc so the excess death here is a little bit of a red herring. Lower than normal deaths but increased to normal level with covid. 

The restrictions really aren't all that different across Europe I don't think. Broad brush strokes using a very finite number of measures, with only really footering with the detail as differences. 

There are some areas where they differ wildly, though, which are perfect for comparisons.

Sweden is an obvious one for not having many restrictions, and even in the likes of Germany they are still much looser than here.

At the other end of the spectrum you have Ireland and Wales.

The point being that where the approach is different, if the restrictions are the driver, you should be able to see a difference in all cause mortality over the winter.

23 minutes ago, SoapMactavish said:

For all these “tEh SeCoNd wAvE iZ fAkE” posters.

We currently have more than 10 patients in our ITU with Covid. Including someone younger than me (I’m 30). 

We do not ever have more than maybe 2/3 patients in ITU with the flu over the course of a typical winter. 

Stop being c***s. 

How many patients do you have in ITU in total currently compared to normal for this time of year? 

Not being a c**t, im genuinely interested.

18 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

How many patients do you have in ITU in total currently compared to normal for this time of year? 

Not being a c**t, im genuinely interested.

We have a total capacity of 18 normally (ITU 1 & 2 with 9 beds each).

We reopened the third ITU (also 9 beds), which was closed, purely for covid which is currently full. 

To answer your question we are busier than normal with ITU 2&3 now “red zones”. The concern is if we continue to be getting 1/2 admissions a day. 

Edited by SoapMactavish

36 minutes ago, SoapMactavish said:

For all these “tEh SeCoNd wAvE iZ fAkE” posters.

We currently have more than 10 patients in our ITU with Covid. Including someone younger than me (I’m 30). 

We do not ever have more than maybe 2/3 patients in ITU with the flu over the course of a typical winter. 

Stop being c***s. 

My sister works in ICU in a hospital in Fife and it is the same story there. It's one thing having enough beds but you also need staff to see to the patients in those beds.

More nurses than ever are off with having to self isolate and increased levels of stress and depression. They are still not being tested regularly!

It is only going to get worse in the coming months.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

There are some areas where they differ wildly, though, which are perfect for comparisons.

Sweden is an obvious one for not having many restrictions, and even in the likes of Germany they are still much looser than here.

At the other end of the spectrum you have Ireland and Wales.

The point being that where the approach is different, if the restrictions are the driver, you should be able to see a difference in all cause mortality over the winter.

Sweden just cannot be used as a comparison to ourselves for an abundance of reasons such as a much higher standard of living, healthier population, more people living alone and far less populated areas, not to mention a far more intelligent population.

If we're looking for comparisons then France, Spain, Italy and even Germany would be better and their restrictions are just as draconian as here.

https://www.politico.eu/article/coronavirus-germany-announces-tougher-restrictions/

https://www.catalannews.com/covid-19/item/spain-declares-six-month-state-of-alarm-amid-coronavirus-surge

All that being said, I have noticed a change in the msm position over the past couple of days, where the focus appears to have moved from hospital admissions and deaths to vaccine hopes, return of concerts, holidays abroad etc which all points to a different political direction being adopted.

Only time will tell I suppose whether this indeed the case, and if so, if it's the correct decision.

The 2nd wave will start in the winter, It is not yet winter.

Covid-19 patients hospitalised with symptoms in Campania is already 40.7% ( by hospital capacity) and 40%capacity  is the warning threshold so they have to be careful.

The Aosta Valley (Italy) is now at 95.5% hospital capacity. This is the highest by capacity of Covid patients. They have to get lucky.

The only region above the warning threshold in Italy for intensive care is Umbria at 41.4%

3 hours ago, 101 said:

Yes because you're sitting with noone within at least a meter of you when your sat down. When you get up and move you'll probably be closer to folk. 

Outwith me sneezing or coughing on folk, do you really believe covid could be passed to someone within 1 second of brushing past them? 

50 minutes ago, Gaz said:

The lockdown was needed.  The lockdown worked.

If people had followed the rules post lockdown there would still have been an uplift in cases but not to the extent there has been.

9 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Outwith me sneezing or coughing on folk, do you really believe covid could be passed to someone within 1 second of brushing past them? 

Multiply that by millions and the number of asymptomatic carriers, or people how just think they have a cold, then yes. You don't always get a warning when you cough.

37 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Sweden just cannot be used as a comparison to ourselves for an abundance of reasons such as a much higher standard of living, healthier population, more people living alone and far less populated areas, not to mention a far more intelligent population.

If we're looking for comparisons then France, Spain, Italy and even Germany would be better and their restrictions are just as draconian as here.

https://www.politico.eu/article/coronavirus-germany-announces-tougher-restrictions/

https://www.catalannews.com/covid-19/item/spain-declares-six-month-state-of-alarm-amid-coronavirus-surge

All that being said, I have noticed a change in the msm position over the past couple of days, where the focus appears to have moved from hospital admissions and deaths to vaccine hopes, return of concerts, holidays abroad etc which all points to a different political direction being adopted.

Only time will tell I suppose whether this indeed the case, and if so, if it's the correct decision.

Sweden also sacrificed thousands of pensioners, refusing to let them go to hospital and basically euthanising them in care homes with morphine where there was no oxygen available. That's how their health service didn't become overwhelmed. 

Some bunch of lads 🙇