Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

The pandemic is over. Inappropriate PCR testing is generating large numbers of 'cases' which, coupled with the absolutely normal increase in hospitalisations for respiratory illnesses at this time of year, is giving the impression that we are in the midst of a second wave.

If there truly was a problem, hospital admissions, hospital occupancy, and all cause mortality would be exceeding normal levels, as they did in March and April.

Mortality rates in general rise at this time of year. Re-badging as many as possible as 'Covid' doesn't make it anything special.

The government are in so deep with their vaccine at all costs strategy, that severely tightening restrictions is their only play. Not doing so, and seeing deaths remain at normal levels anyway, would destroy any remaining acceptance of measures from the public.

Did you read cyclezine's post? The nhs as we speak is gearing up for a repeat of April and May. Staff are being moved to covid only wards which are filling up as we speak. Hospitalisations are rising right now and don't look like peaking anytime before the start of December. These are resources that can only be used one at a time. Countries across Europe who are more trustworthy to their citizens (including Sweden in Uppsala) are tightening restrictions - are they all in on the ploy of tightening restrictions just to make it look like they're in control? 

Given there were ~5k cases in Europe a month ago and now there are +230k cases I think we can safely say the pandemic isn't over. And given you pronounced it over in June, and also seemed to be suggesting there was a cure for this incurable virus not two days ago, I think it's safe to take your opinions and sprinkle liberally with salt. 

Re the false positive tests if you take 100 random people and test them, how many will have covid and how many will be false positive. 

Now, if you take 100 people who have symptoms of covid and test them, what will be the results? 

The false positive argument only really works if you're testing a random sample of people. When you're testing only the symptomatic, then you will have far far more proper positive results. 

15 minutes ago, LinkinFighter said:

Todd and Mao are two of the most boring c***s I've had the displeasure of reading on here. We get it lads, you think almost every government on earth has the wrong approach and should be listening to you. 

And the perfect way for them to get their message across is posting on a Scottish football forum.

Couple of absolute weirdos.

Edited by Ludo*1

8 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

They'd be much better served by telling our political leaders directly, yes.

Considering the amount of time they spend on here spouting their nonsense, I have no doubts that they'll be posting numerous Tweets to them.

On 22/01/2020 at 05:52, ICTChris said:

Authorities in China have warned that a new coronoavirus that has killed nine people could mutate further and cause more deaths.  The virus, known also as 2019-nCoV, is understood to be a new strain of coronavirus that has not previously been identified in humans.  Signs of infection include respiratory symptoms, fever, cough, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties.

Cases have been reported in South Korea, the US and Thailand. 

Is it time to stock up on those little surgical masks? Yes

Are we all completely fucked? Probably not

Should I take the Tamiflu I stockpiled for bird flu? Maybe

Have any P&Bers ever been part of a worldwide pandemic? Yes

Hth

1 hour ago, LinkinFighter said:

Todd and Mao are two of the most boring c***s I've had the displeasure of reading on here. We get it lads, you think almost every government on earth has the wrong approach and should be listening to you. 

It's probably a total coincidence that the former thinks that humans aren't responsible for climate change, and the latter keeps posting stuff from antivaxxer sites. 

1 hour ago, madwullie said:

Did you read cyclezine's post? The nhs as we speak is gearing up for a repeat of April and May. Staff are being moved to covid only wards which are filling up as we speak. Hospitalisations are rising right now and don't look like peaking anytime before the start of December. These are resources that can only be used one at a time. Countries across Europe who are more trustworthy to their citizens (including Sweden in Uppsala) are tightening restrictions - are they all in on the ploy of tightening restrictions just to make it look like they're in control? 

Given there were ~5k cases in Europe a month ago and now there are +230k cases I think we can safely say the pandemic isn't over. And given you pronounced it over in June, and also seemed to be suggesting there was a cure for this incurable virus not two days ago, I think it's safe to take your opinions and sprinkle liberally with salt. 

Re the false positive tests if you take 100 random people and test them, how many will have covid and how many will be false positive. 

Now, if you take 100 people who have symptoms of covid and test them, what will be the results? 

The false positive argument only really works if you're testing a random sample of people. When you're testing only the symptomatic, then you will have far far more proper positive results. 

They are doing this, though. Community surveys and people admitted to hospital. I'm not sure where the idea that 100% of those being tested are symptomatic comes from.

What do we do after winter if hospital levels and deaths remain absolutely normal for that time of year here and all over Europe? Pretend that it was the restrictions that ensured this, despite them being different across Europe? Or open our minds to the reality that it really isn't the super deadly virus it was thought to be?

Edited by Todd_is_God

6 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I watched The Mole on BBC player about a Dane who infiltrated North Korean illegal activity. It was good, but the main lesson is, they are blind drunk all the time.

How long do you rate the lifespans of anyone involved in that programme? I reckon the Ugandans will just edge it. Absolute nutters unless it was a spoof, I was a bit suspicious how he got away with filming everything.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

How long do you rate the lifespans of anyone involved in that programme? I reckon the Ugandans will just edge it. Absolute nutters unless it was a spoof, I was a bit suspicious how he got away with filming everything.

Aye, I think the Koreans let the mad amateurs like KFA provide a smokescreen while the real business is done elsewhere.

8 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Nah she is to go to the shops and mix with as many people as possible...

I know what you meant to be fair, anyway good luck to Richeys maw.

Heh, I was really meaning that I hope she's not been admitted. 

On this subject, some absolute mouth breather on Hamilton news stand was incandescent yesterday because the new testing centre in Hamilton has caused the infection rate to rise. When it was pointed out that the test centre is there BECAUSE infections had risen, he then started saying that all these infected people coming into Hamilton would be spreading the virus and causing a spike. Further, that the test results aren't displayed for where you got tested but for where you live seemed to cause him great confusion. Even once the actual process of the drive through testing was explained, he still seemed to think that people are getting tested then firing up marks and Spencer for a browse and a cough and to touch things 

Humans don't deserve to survive this. 

25 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Wouldn’t mind living in North Korea if they still have no confirmed cases tbh...

Do they have cases?   Almost certainly yes. 

Do they have "confirmed" cases?  Almost certainly no.

Would not like to be the person who has to confirm anything.

1 hour ago, paranoid android said:

Fingers crossed for your mum, mate. 

17 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Sorry to hear this brother. Hope everything goes well and she makes a full recovery.

3 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Best wishes to your mum mate. Is she to stay at home for now? 

Thanks guys.

Yeah, my mum, my dad and I are to stay at home for two weeks. I currently live with my parents, so need to isolate as well.

She has a cough and feels a bit chesty, but apart from that she says she's not feeling too bad.

She got track and traced via the app earlier in the week and had to isolate for two weeks anyway, but she was confident that she didn't have Coronavirus until a couple of days ago when she started having a cough.

I would be more concerned if my dad caught it, because he has a heart condition and is a bit older than my mum.

Having to stay at home is a ball ache because I was meant to be returning to work within the next week or so. However, it needs to be done.

Hopefully we'll all be well and come through this with no lasting effects.