Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I couldn’t agree more with this bit

Equally if the person has such deep seated breathing issues, they probably shouldn’t be put themselves at risk in public spaces as they are the most likely to be seriously affected.

Which is the point I made.

If you can't breath you shouldn't even be out near people.

Also fed up of the "it's my right not to wear a mask" brigade.

Well - it's my right not to be coughed on by clatty b*****ds who don't cover their mouths.

I quite enjoy interactions wearing a mask, it's weird how you can tell if each of you are smiling at something said.
My biggest issue with masks is that I am partially deaf. I rely a lot on reading lips - I do have to ask people to slow down or speak up - which can be frustrating - for both of us.

32 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

And you would have accused Sturgeon of reckless political opportunism even if she had the powers to impose his dubious strategy. I just find it weird that you never criticize Westminster while complaining about decision coming out of Holyrood.

Well no I wouldn't, given I've been banging that drum for months. Quite the opposite.

There is little point in me criticising decisions made by Westminster, as they don't, in the main, directly affect me. I could sit and criticise Leo Varadkar, Boris Johnson, Mark Drakeford etc but why? NS is the one deciding what happens here, therefore it should not be in any way surprising or weird that it is her that is the subject of my criticism.

9 hours ago, Steven W said:

Spent a bit of time reading the new SG document for these tiered restrictions.

Unless I'm wrong, these are basically in place until a vaccine is well on the go? Yet it offers no estimation of when this might be? I struggle to understand why this is. Surely some approximation can be offered as to when these new restrictions will end. Surely those in the 'vaccine game' must know when these Phase 3 efficacy trials are due to be completed.

It offers no estimation as no one knows when that will be

The only other available strategy is herd immunity

18 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

A dubious strategy that resulted in far fewer deaths than Scotland ?

A dubious strategy that has resulted in mortality in Sweden being normal this year? 

A dubious strategy is where you throw 25,000 people out of hospital, leave thousands of hospital beds empty for months, destroy millions of livelihoods and end up with many more deaths than a country that didn’t lockdown. 

Not only would I call that dubious, I’d call it sick and evil. 

Shame on you 

You can't even give a proper name and address when asked to, so bit of a reach suggesting you're up for purely voluntary restrictions. No doubt so you don't need to follow them but moan the arse off everyone about it

Edited by madwullie

34 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

40 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

In a similar story to @DeeTillEhDehs I witnessed this really greasy looking fucker shout at an old man, 'Can you not see that I'm trying to avoid you?!?' as the old man was walking into a shop (Morrisons in Arbroath). The old man just laughed it off. (Practically in his face) I assumed he was laughing at said greasy fucker as no-one would have wanted to go near him at any point. Funnily enough, the only one not wearing a mask was the one complaining.

Never go to a Morrisons in Arbroath

Edited by Binos

10 minutes ago, Binos said:

It offers no estimation as no one knows when that will be

The only other available strategy is herd immunity

The point I was trying to make was that perhaps they should know. Although a few posters subsequently pointed out some of the complications. 

On another note, the thread has improved remarkably the last day or two

34 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

A dubious strategy that resulted in far fewer deaths than Scotland ?

Shame on you 

Compare like with likes, more than all their Scandinavian neighbours put together.

Shame on you, and Sweden.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Compare like with likes, more than all their Scandinavian neighbours put together.

Shame on you, and Sweden.

Do this. Compare all cause mortality year on year in Sweden. That is "like with like"

Amazingly, it's absolutely normal.

28 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Do this. Compare all cause mortality year on year in Sweden. That is "like with like"

Amazingly, it's absolutely normal.

Norway is the same, (without the nasty spike in march and April) which is a better like for like given they're similar countries and next door geographically. 

Edit: and Norway still only at about 170ish cases a day while Sweden are well over 1k. No reason to suggest that these won't turn into deaths in the coming weeks although they are bringing in new measures, like advising against public transport, gyms, pubs, non-essential shops etc. 

I wonder if the govt subsidise gyms, cafes etc given its not the law they close but they're asking people really really nicely not to go

Edited by madwullie

Just reading an article about Sweden. Pretty amusing actually - in some ways it's like the polar opposite of here. There's a group of scientists who have criticised the approach and have received online abuse and even death threats. People have been reprimanded and sacked for wearing masks. It's like a photographic negative of here. Just shows no matter what the govts do there's going to be a core of people who think it's a disgrace.  

The elderly situation sounds fucking grim over there as well (from here https://www.wired.co.uk/article/Sweden-coronavirus-response-experiment) Yes I know its not really the pinnacle of great journalism

"Even more worrying, evidence has emerged that many sick elderly patients were effectively automatically denied access to treatment, to avoid hospitals being overwhelmed. One March 17 FHM directive to Stockholm hospitals stated any patients over 80 or with a body mass index above 40 should not be admitted to intensive care, because they were less likely to recover. Other reports describe sick care home residents being administered a palliative cocktail of morphine and midazolam, because the homes were not equipped to administer oxygen, something some doctors have described as active euthanasia"

People were triaged out of healthcare and given ‘No Hospital’ notes on their journals, before they got sick. And this was not only for patients who were suspected of having Covid-19. A person who got a urinary tract infection and required hospitalisation, for example for IV antibiotics or fluids, would not get that care either. They received palliative medicine instead.”

Edited by madwullie

8 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Just reading an article about Sweden. Pretty amusing actually - in some ways it's like the polar opposite of here. There's a group of scientists who have criticised the approach and have received online abuse and even death threats. People have been reprimanded and sacked for wearing masks. It's like a photographic negative of here. Just shows no matter what the govts do there's going to be a core of people who think it's a disgrace.  

The elderly situation sounds fucking grim over there as well (from here https://www.wired.co.uk/article/Sweden-coronavirus-response-experiment) Yes I know its not really the pinnacle of great journalism

"Even more worrying, evidence has emerged that many sick elderly patients were effectively automatically denied access to treatment, to avoid hospitals being overwhelmed. One March 17 FHM directive to Stockholm hospitals stated any patients over 80 or with a body mass index above 40 should not be admitted to intensive care, because they were less likely to recover. Other reports describe sick care home residents being administered a palliative cocktail of morphine and midazolam, because the homes were not equipped to administer oxygen, something some doctors have described as active euthanasia"

People were triaged out of healthcare and given ‘No Hospital’ notes on their journals, before they got sick. And this was not only for patients who were suspected of having Covid-19. A person who got a urinary tract infection and required hospitalisation, for example for IV antibiotics or fluids, would not get that care either. They received palliative medicine instead.”

You could also describe the above as pragmatic

2 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Has Nicola always been this much of a minter or is it because she has been spending too much time with muppets like Leitch and Sridhar?

Either way, an intervention is required.

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo