Coronavirus (COVID-19)

10 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

I couldn’t agree more with this bit

Equally if the person has such deep seated breathing issues, they probably shouldn’t be put themselves at risk in public spaces as they are the most likely to be seriously affected.

And if they are, they should be on their knees thanking the rest of us for masking up and protecting their incredibly fragile immune systems from doing so. 

2 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Three years to lift ineffective restrictions that started to late to make any difference and have killed tens of thousands and destroyed millions of livelihoods for a pandemic that ended 5 months ago?

lunacy 

The pandemic is over? You better tell the entire planet that then. And probably the virus itself too

Do agree that three years is a reasonable timescale for all restrictions to be lifted.
Psychological effects will last a long longer though. A lot of people’s attitudes have certainly changed forever. Old friend of mine who’s be going to the football for over 50 years says he will never be back as the thought of large crowds gives him the boak.
Will be interesting to see what attendance numbers are for sporting events and concerts after restrictions are lifted compared to before.

Could he not just go to a Hamilton game in that case?

16 minutes ago, super_carson said:

I see Leitch has already said that central belt will be tier three on 2nd November - essentially a continuation of where we already are. Not that that what he says ever seems to come to pass mind. If he told me grass was green I'd still go outside to check.

I'm definitely feeling hacked off with everything, and (anecdotally) I think theres a general growing frustration with the prospect of lockdown, release and repeat from now on. I wonder how much longer public support for these measures will last, and what will governments do if that tide of opinion changes.

Hopefully be on TV in May looking puzzled as to why their majority government has evaporated.

That way we might end up with our political parties working together to ensure common sense is used, and what is best for the country as a whole is done, rather than the current situation riddled with political opportunism.

Edited by Todd_is_God

18 minutes ago, Lex said:

Will be interesting to see what attendance numbers are for sporting events and concerts after restrictions are lifted compared to before.

I think they will be absolutely fine. Plenty of people will be more than happy to take the place of those who don't want to go.

Ultimately, those people will be left behind.

I am very pro mask but being aggressive towards people who aren’t wearing masks is inexcusable. One in five people in the U.K. have some form of respiratory illness, these can often make wearing masks difficult. I’ve seen some people unmasked who clearly had mental health problems as well.

The vast majority of people with respiratory disease can wear a mask with no issue. Many of those who choose not to comply are morons.

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Again, in the scenario that all trials are not successful, no vaccine is viable and one is not on the horizon for a very, very long time, what other realistic course of action would there be other than to let people live their lives without restriction? People at the moment by and large are begrudgingly still accepting of restrictions for the greater good with the promise of a vaccine.

At the point where that promise is removed though, the 'greater good' argument goes out the window with it. They can't indefinitely restrict people, businesses, entire industries if there is no outcome on the horizon.

Yes, and people at that point need to cease thinking of these as "avoidable deaths." They are avoidable only at enormous cost, not only financially but to the wellbeing of vast swathes of the population. Lots of cancer deaths would be avoidable if limitless resources were thrown at them. Cost/benefit dictates that this doesn't happen. No vaccine = accept the virus into the vast pile of potentially lethal diseases. At that point, local track and trace during any outbreak and hygiene vigilance should be all that's left

34 minutes ago, super_carson said:

I see Leitch has already said that central belt will be tier three on 2nd November - essentially a continuation of where we already are. Not that that what he says ever seems to come to pass mind. If he told me grass was green I'd still go outside to check.

I'm definitely feeling hacked off with everything, and (anecdotally) I think theres a general growing frustration with the prospect of lockdown, release and repeat from now on. I wonder how much longer public support for these measures will last, and what will governments do if that tide of opinion changes.

My opinion is that Christmas will dent it, and any vaccine announcement regardless of timescale to administer will kill compliance stone dead. The only compliance will be at business level ie they legally cant operate, but then more and more unrest will follow.

27 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Yes, and people at that point need to cease thinking of these as "avoidable deaths." They are avoidable only at enormous cost, not only financially but to the wellbeing of vast swathes of the population.

There's also little point in avoiding 1 Covid death in the short-term, if it leads to 1+ death in future from limited / denial of access to healthcare.

You can see the argument for doing so over a relatively short period, but not long term.

4 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

No we aren't. :lol: 

There will be a lot of pain, a lot of heartache and an awful amount of hardship but you seriously think without a vaccine, humanity will be fucked? Come on!

I got my flu jag this morning at Perth Infirmary so I'm all right Jack.

But I'm an auld sod with Diabetes since 2008 and without a vaccine I think I'll be fucked cos I'm part of humanity

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

Hopefully be on TV in May looking puzzled as to why their majority government has evaporated.

That way we might end up with our political parties working together to ensure common sense is used, and what is best for the country as a whole is done, rather than the current situation riddled with political opportunism.

You hopefully hope that the SNP government will lose their majority?

Who do you want to replace them?

Which party will you vote for? 

Labour or Tory or LibDems?

Remember Bojo (or his Ilk) will still be in power down south.

On 22/10/2020 at 12:25, superbigal said:

The 4 cesspit health authorities still make up over 80% of yesterday's positive tests. This reflects on 55% of the population.

Updating this to todays figures and said cesspits are now up to 83% of the cases for 55% of population.

Lanarkshire  12% of the population and 22.5% of cases.

Greater Glasgow 22% of the population and 36.5% of cases

Ayrshire & Annan 6.75% of the population and 12.15 % of cases

All 3 similarly bad

Lothian 14.66% of population and 11.60% of the cases

Rest of Scotland 45% of population 17 % of cases.

32 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

You hopefully hope that the SNP government will lose their majority?

Yes. Quite happy for them to remain the largest party, but either in a minority government, or in a coalition.

They can pop Indy on the back burner until this mess is sorted out; a mess which they have helped create.

Updating this to todays figures and said cesspits are now up to 83% of the cases for 55% of population.
Lanarkshire  12% of the population and 22.5% of cases.
Greater Glasgow 22% of the population and 36.5% of cases
Ayrshire & Annan 6.75% of the population and 12.15 % of cases
All 3 similarly bad
Lothian 14.66% of population and 11.60% of the cases
Rest of Scotland 45% of population 17 % of cases.
Minky weegies