Coronavirus (COVID-19)

30 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Correct. A relatively small number of people more than normal would die, and everyone else would get on with their lives.

The hardship will come from rebuilding businesses and jobs that have been needlessly lost.

I watched an interview on Irish TV from the other day where it was suggested that the billions of pounds being spent on things like track and trace and insane levels of testing would have been better spent temporarily increasing critical care facilities.

Quite hard to argue against that, as at least you would get a return for your money.

I suggest you go and find our resident economist @BawWatchin over in the Politics Forum who has assured us it's actually going to be really easy to bounce back from this because of supply and demand.

Spain seems to a more extreme version of what's happening in most places, a big surge in cases with a much lower increase in deaths. I haven't read a definitive explanation for why that is, more testing, masks etc reducing the viral load of those infected, mutation in the virus..? 
sat1.thumb.JPG.4afbb0bf086d98b76f16737f70d0683f.JPG
 sat2.thumb.JPG.b4c84afa322435082120a63c3ec7bc85.JPG
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/spain/

They are massive under reporting death numbers

I was shopping yesterday when an almighty row broke out between an older guy who was masked and a young coiuole (early 20s) who were not wearing any. 
It all started with a growling "Get yer fucking mask on" from the old boy.

I can't blame him - it's frustrating watching people blatantly not using masks.

Personally - if you are not able to wear a mask then you are not able to go to the shops.

Pish.

25 minutes ago, Lex said:

A vaccine won’t really solve it either.
As we know this country is full of crackpot anti vaxxers who won’t take it. They will then continue to spread the infection among vulnerable groups who can’t take the vaccine. Ergo restrictions will continue.
Was speaking to a boss of a big logistics company the other day. He said they’re basically expecting 2021 to be the same as 2020 with varying levels of lockdown throughout the year and travel restrictions coming and going.
Think the reality is that any kind of return to normal is years away, not months away.

I remember reading that vaccines usually take about 3 years to be developed and that's where my head is at. I expect a vaccine on the shelves 3 years from now. Any earlier is a bonus.

5 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I suggest you go and find our resident economist @BawWatchin over in the Politics Forum who has assured us it's actually going to be really easy to bounce back from this because of supply and demand.

Should be combined with the assurances from @Detournement that we can just print shed loads of money and hand it out to everyone. There really is nothing to worry about.

30 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Whit ! I did clarify within a minute or two that never wasn't possible I said I think govts will give it at least a year. This is my opinion of what I think will happen not necessarily what should.

You dont think the UK government's will give a vaccine at least a year before chucking restrictions ?

ETA I see today Macron has pretty much said what I was suggesting would happen ie they are willing to persist with measures until well into 2021 awaiting a vaccine.

That’s a bit of a white lie isn’t it? 

You firstly said we would (in block capitals to emphasise it) “never” be without restrictions without a vaccine. When that nonsensical point was picked up you suddenly changed from “never” to “another year” which was quite an extreme backtracking. Fair enough though you did correct yourself as you realised it was ludicrous. 

Alli (or whatever you're calling yourself), moutinho and VT, you are complete and utter morons who offer nothing other than childish pish which just spoils the board for the adults.

The rest of us may not agree with each others posts all of the time, however we're capable of offering up our reasons for a contrarian view as opposed to just following people around the forum and red dotting them. 

don't get me wrong, the "red dotting" in itself doesn't bother me in the slightest (why would it), however it's the fact that you are unable to offer any sort of arguments or reasoning (if you even have any) and just try and and annoy people.

As I say, it's just moronic behaviour which has no place here.

4 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Alli (or whatever you're calling yourself), moutinho and VT, you are complete and utter morons who offer nothing other than childish pish which just spoils the board for the adults.

The rest of us may not agree with each others posts all of the time, however we're capable of offering up our reasons for a contrarian view as opposed to just following people around the forum and red dotting them. 

don't get me wrong, the "red dotting" in itself doesn't bother me in the slightest (why would it), however it's the fact that you are unable to offer any sort of arguments or reasoning (if you even have any) and just try and and annoy people.

^^^ verge of tiers

I was shopping yesterday when an almighty row broke out between an older guy who was masked and a young coiuole (early 20s) who were not wearing any. 

Personally - if you are not able to wear a mask then you are not able to go to the shops.

I am very pro mask but being aggressive towards people who aren’t wearing masks is inexcusable. One in five people in the U.K. have some form of respiratory illness, these can often make wearing masks difficult. I’ve seen some people unmasked who clearly had mental health problems as well.

19 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:
56 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Pish.

He forgot to add that everyone dropped their shopping and gave the old boy a guard of honour as he left the store.

8 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Definitely not bothered by the dots IMO.

27 minutes ago, Donathan said:

They are massive under reporting death numbers

An often overlooked point when comparing covid deaths in other countries is indeed that pretty much everyone counts differently.

Are they under reporting? Or are we over reporting? Are both true?

For example, in the UK the criteria is that if you die of any cause within 28 days of a positive test, you are included, which is not the case everywhere else.

With that in mind, there is little value in comparing numbers which aren't constant. 

Edited by Todd_is_God

13 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

You should report them for bullying. No place for bullying in the workplace. Should be the same for P&B. Actually, I would go one step further and take legal action against Div for being an enabler.

There should be nothing more important to P&B than the health and wellbeing of it’s users.

11 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I am very pro mask but being aggressive towards people who aren’t wearing masks is inexcusable. One in five people in the U.K. have some form of respiratory illness, these can often make wearing masks difficult. I’ve seen some people unmasked who clearly had mental health problems as well.

In my work I see a few people who are now regularly wearing a lanyard with a badge explaining that they can't wear a mask which is pretty sad. 

It's the human equivalent of a disabled parking badge for a car.

20 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Yes and Catalonia heading for "full" lockdown now along with various other parts of Spain.

Forget all that though as some seem more concerned about their Christmas shwalley session being spoiled........

Folk are losing their jobs based on selective "science" from governments working to appease their largest voting blocs, you insensitive tit