Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
13 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:
It's almost as if it could have been avoided by calling it, I don't know, level 1?
Level 0 restrictions should always mean "none" as there is nowhere lower to go.
Either adopt the English model entirely, if you want to be close to it to avoid confusion (add higher, tighter levels if you must), or make up your own and name it differently for the same reason.

That's just semantics, the name is irrelevant as the measures are clearly described. There will NEVER be zero restrictions without a vaccine or a wonder mitigating drug so no point in constantly mewling over petty names of the tiers.

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
11 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:
Maybe not now, but if you genuinely believe there is an appetite from almost anyone to live the rest of our lives with restrictions then you’ve lost it. A vaccine may never happen, so at some point we will have to “let it rip”.

Appetite for it, I clearly said its depressing but I really don't see any government getting close to chucking restrictions anytime soon, at least for another year or so. If a vaccine hasn't materialised by then I suspect there will be a shift in government attitudes.

A climbdown even Boris Johnson would be proud of

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Seems sensible to me to keep 1,2 and 3 much the same as England, and to have looser or tighter restrictions where possible/necessary with 0 and 4. People talk about Leitch being patronising, he needs to be if people can't get their heads around this. 

No amount of tartan tinted specs will make Level 0 restrictions =/= "none" make sense.

Despite constantly preaching they cannot know what will happen in a couple of weeks, in less than 30 hours they have essentially told people to have a "digital christmas" and to forget normality indefinitely.

The SG get unfairly criticised at times, but at others they don't help themselves.

[mention=26955]Honest_Man#1[/mention] i think has called it here - you've suffered a cranial detachment.
Explain how so, I'm not calling for or endorsing restrictions ,no idea how you think I was. I am saying I see no evidence of any govt chucking restrictions while a vaccine remains viable. They will give it at least a year imo. And that us not me saying they should it's what I think will happen.

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
13 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:
Maybe not now, but if you genuinely believe there is an appetite from almost anyone to live the rest of our lives with restrictions then you’ve lost it. A vaccine may never happen, so at some point we will have to “let it rip”.

Appetite for it, I clearly said its depressing but I really don't see any government getting close to chucking restrictions anytime soon, at least for another year or so. If a vaccine hasn't materialised by then I suspect there will be a shift in government attitudes.

Okay so you’ve gone from “NEVER” to “after another year”. Certainly more sensible.

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

I really can't see how neighbouring LAs can be in different tiers, it simply wont work. Take Ayrshire for example. We could have North Ayrshire in a higher tier to South or vice versa. It's 4 mins in the train from Irvine to Troon. Pubs open in 1 but not the other it's pretty obvious what's going to happen.

That's inevitably going to be the case though.

Gretna and Carlisle aren't far apart either.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:
[mention=26955]Honest_Man#1[/mention] i think has called it here - you've suffered a cranial detachment.

Explain how so, I'm not calling for or endorsing restrictions ,no idea how you think I was. I am saying I see no evidence of any govt chucking restrictions while a vaccine remains viable. They will give it at least a year imo. And that us not me saying they should it's what I think will happen.

Yes, they definitely will continue hemorrhaging eye watering amounts of public money for another 12 months, just to go "oh well, as we were" afterwards.

That will go down really well.

It's quite clear that the Government's in the UK have locked in their strategy until March. Their attempts to justify the measures are laughable, but, barring an unexpected Berlin Court-esque overturning of the overly harsh hospitality restrictions, nothing is changing.

All eyes now should be on all cause winter mortality, both here and in Sweden, and have a proper discussion in the New Year.

For anyone wondering about the memory holing of zero Covid Scotland, the line is that it couldn’t be done without border controls. Presumably everyone in the Scottish Government was pushing for complete shutdowns of airports and motorway blockades in March.

1 minute ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Terrific to see this thread is unreadable again.

I know I've said it on this thread before but does anyone else find the discourse around Christmas just so infantile? I saw the Scottish political editor for the Times(!) tweet today about how there absolutely needed to be a UK-wide solution for families meeting up at Christmas as many extended families are spread across different jurisdictions. Surely if you've decided to live in a different country from your family, you're enough of an adult to celebrate Christmas with them via Zoom or something? The idea that our political leaders should make some kind of exception and temporarily lift restrictions for a single day just because it's Christmas is just totally wild to me. Even more so when you consider the Muslim community seemed to deal fine with Eid being cancelled with about 12 hours notice back in July. It's been obvious for months that a normal Christmas wasn't going to be possible, and yet it seems to have come as a surprise to some people. 

I had forgotten about he stramash around Eid until my mate said the other day it will be interesting to compare certain folks opinions then with now.

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

No amount of tartan tinted specs will make Level 0 restrictions =/= "none" make sense.

Despite constantly preaching they cannot know what will happen in a couple of weeks, in less than 30 hours they have essentially told people to have a "digital christmas" and to forget normality indefinitely.

The SG get unfairly criticised at times, but at others they don't help themselves.

Why do you and others keep making out this is political or a "power grab" when it's quite obviously not ?

As I've already posted, the English advisers to BJ are saying the exact same thing as Leitch and only an idiot would honestly believe that in under 8 weeks the virus will be gone and everything will suddenly be ok.

BJ is telling the moronic masses what they want to hear and even he doesn't believe it, on the other hand the SG is telling it how it is, however unpalatable that reality may be, still, it beats being treated as an idiot in my book.

I’m impressed with how the Scottish Government and Nicola Sturgeon have dealt with the pandemic despite the many, many restraints placed on them.

I think they would have done far better if Scotland was an independent sovereign nation with the power and access to resources that independence would entail.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

For anyone wondering about the memory holing of zero Covid Scotland, the line is that it couldn’t be done without border controls. Presumably everyone in the Scottish Government was pushing for complete shutdowns of airports and motorway blockades in March.

Presumably the truth-speaking SG will be along shortly to apologise for needlessly prolonging lockdown in the summer when cases were already low and the R rate easily below 1 - because there was no prospect of the border being shut down in June/July either.

And then punting Sridhar and Leitch to the kiddies' table whenever the adults in the room are talking in future.

Edited by vikingTON