Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Good to see that the "cancelled Christmas" stuff isn't just in Scotland, I doubt the Daily Mail or Express will be mentioning this though, nor Ruth or Douglas for that matter.

One of the government's scientific advisers said the idea that "we can carry on as we are" and have a normal Christmas "is wishful thinking in the extreme".

Prof John Edmunds, a member of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage), said "radical action" would be needed - particularly in problem regions - for this to happen.

The fact that level zero still includes restrictions is depressing.
It's a framework for living with Covid so not really. The framework will be in place until we have a vaccine and the pandemic is declared over. Then the framework will no longer apply.

This assumption that level 0 is no Covid is odd. It was clearly described as being similar to the position we reached around July / August. A vaccine will see less than these level 0 restrictions.

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:

It's a framework for living with Covid so not really. The framework will be in place until we have a vaccine and the pandemic is declared over. Then the framework will no longer apply.

This assumption that level 0 is no Covid is odd. It was clearly described as being similar to the position we reached around July / August. A vaccine will see less than these level 0 restrictions.

It is nonsense though. A vaccine may never come, so the idea that without one we will never be allowed to have indoor gatherings with more than a certain number of households again and other restrictions is ludicrous.

I really can't see how neighbouring LAs can be in different tiers, it simply wont work. Take Ayrshire for example. We could have North Ayrshire in a higher tier to South or vice versa. It's 4 mins in the train from Irvine to Troon. Pubs open in 1 but not the other it's pretty obvious what's going to happen.

It is nonsense though. A vaccine may never come, so the idea that without one we will never be allowed to have indoor gatherings with more than a certain number of households again and other restrictions is ludicrous.
Yes it's a depressing thought but Isn't that pretty much what the vast majority of so called epidemic experts are saying worldwide though, we are hardly out on a limb here.

You either have measures or let it rip and there seems very little worldwide appetite for the latter and even less so in the UK.

4 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

This assumption that level 0 is no Covid is odd.

It's almost as if it could have been avoided by calling it, I don't know, level 1?

Level 0 restrictions should always mean "none" as there is nowhere lower to go.

Either adopt the English model entirely, if you want to be close to it to avoid confusion (add higher, tighter levels if you must), or make up your own and name it differently for the same reason.

5 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I really can't see how neighbouring LAs can be in different tiers, it simply wont work. Take Ayrshire for example. We could have North Ayrshire in a higher tier to South or vice versa. It's 4 mins in the train from Irvine to Troon. Pubs open in 1 but not the other it's pretty obvious what's going to happen.

The line has to be drawn somewhere though, and you could make that same argument about two towns 5 mins apart separated by the Health Board line.

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Yes it's a depressing thought but Isn't that pretty much what the vast majority of so called epidemic experts are saying worldwide though, we are hardly out on a limb here.

You either have measures or let it rip and there seems very little worldwide appetite for the latter and even less so in the UK.

Maybe not now, but if you genuinely believe there is an appetite from almost anyone to live the rest of our lives with restrictions then you’ve lost it. A vaccine may never happen, so at some point we will have to “let it rip”.

It's almost as if it could have been avoided by calling it, I don't know, level 1?
Either adopt the English model entirely, if you want to be close to it to avoid confusion (add higher, tighter levels if you must), or make up your own and name it differently for the same reason.
That's just semantics, the name is irrelevant as the measures are clearly described. There will NEVER be zero restrictions without a vaccine or a wonder mitigating drug so no point in constantly mewling over petty names of the tiers.

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Seems sensible to me to keep 1,2 and 3 much the same as England, and to have looser or tighter restrictions where possible/necessary with 0 and 4. People talk about Leitch being patronising, he needs to be if people can't get their heads around this. 

Just now, Billy Jean King said:
9 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

That's just semantics, the name is irrelevant as the measures are clearly described. There will NEVER be zero restrictions without a vaccine or a wonder mitigating drug so no point in constantly mewling over petty names of the tiers.

@Honest_Man#1 i think has called it here - you've suffered a cranial detachment.

Maybe not now, but if you genuinely believe there is an appetite from almost anyone to live the rest of our lives with restrictions then you’ve lost it. A vaccine may never happen, so at some point we will have to “let it rip”.
Appetite for it, I clearly said its depressing but I really don't see any government getting close to chucking restrictions anytime soon, at least for another year or so. If a vaccine hasn't materialised by then I suspect there will be a shift in government attitudes.

Maybe not never but at least while a vaccine is still a possibility.