Coronavirus (COVID-19)

37 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

At some point, this breaks down, however, if keeping schools open causes entire sectors to be closed down / effectively closed down in an 'effort' to control the spread of a virus, of which a large proportion of starting points can be traced back to schools.

Keeping schools fully open has less to do with keeping the economy open and more to do with avoiding a backlash from those who would be understandably upset that their 'sacrifices' in July and August, they were told, were necessary to allow schools to open, only to later be told that really that was pointless as it was schools, rather than their business / employer etc, that was going to be the problem.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to hold the view that while the SG were following 'the science' available at the time - there wasn't really (m)any papers showing school children being big spreaders of the virus - that data has changed, particularly here in the UK where contact tracing shows somewhere in the region of 40% of acute outbreaks can be traced back to education settings (and that around 75% of those are in schools) versus 3% to hospitality venues, and that that requires a change in tactic.

Prepare for a sea of red dots and “WHERE IS THE EVIDENCE” posts Todd.

I'd have to disagree with this.
I haven't seen anyone on this thread, even those of us who work in the education sector, call for schools to be closed.
What I (and others) have said is that we have no problem with schools remaining open (I fully understand the importance both in terms of education and childcare) but would like the preposterous charade that the virus doesn't know how to get through a school's front doors dropped.

Fair enough, I probably should have made that distinction. I think it goes back to the communication point. If parents had been told “there is a risk but we’ve assessed it and think it’s safe to go back” I think they be happy with that. IIRC there were points made about nothing being risk free but governments obviously think if they say anything other than schools are risk free then children will be kept at home.

I think most parents understand the balance of risks. We put our boy back into nursery understanding that there is a risk at such places but that the upsides balance if off. If my wife or I were shielding or had severe underlying conditions it would be different but we don’t. We understand it’s not 100% safe and so do other parents, from what I can see. The nursery actually had its first positive test result this week though, so we are going to sue them for all they’ve got.

Looks like similar to England the current level of Central Belt restrictions (Tier 3) will permit restaurants to remain open in some way.

Anyone been able to access the document and see where sports crowds fit in ?

Presumably if level 0 allows some fans to return you may have fans at some games yet still not allowed in others. It may be the case that sports crowds returning don't fall into any of these "tiers" and hence simply isn't being considered until this is officially declared over !!!

6 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

A 5 tier system that goes up to 4.

Good start.

It starts at 0. As a computer scientist I fully endorse this numbering system. 

Tiers 1-3 will have broadly similar restrictions to the same tiers in England so I imagine it’s been designed to try and avoid confusion. 

Looks like similar to England the current level of Central Belt restrictions (Tier 3) will permit restaurants to remain open in some way.

Anyone been able to access the document and see where sports crowds fit in ?

My understanding is it probably won’t. The level 0 is virtually equivalent to where we were in mid August, 8 people 3 households indoors, doubt sports crowds will be there.

Just now, JK_Queens said:

My understanding is it probably won’t. The level 0 is virtually equivalent to where we were in mid August, 8 people 3 households indoors, doubt sports crowds will be there.

It might allow for test events, though, like we saw at Aberdeen and Ross County. 

Basically England but level lower for the teuchtars
They are changing to local authorities instead of health boards.
Hopefully the south of Fife will not drag us down and we can be with the highlander teuchters.
Scottish current average 150 cases per 100k in 7 days.
Fife 56.5

21 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Schools to remain open at all tiers of restrictions in Scotland then.

I'm beginning to think that Nicola Sturgeon doesn't read Pie and Bovril.

Hate to think that all the Jaffa's wailings on this thread are going completely unnoticed. But it would seem so.