Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Basically there is a body of opinion on P&B that school reopenings have driven the increase in infection numbers that we’ve seen in the last few months. This group is frustrated at the refusal of public health figures like Leitch and the Scottish Government to countenance further closures of schools to try and bring the virus under control. Many people in here disagree with this strongly, as any reading of this thread will tell you.

Separate to this I think there’s a general degree of annoyance with the patronising tone of the pronouncements from the Scottish Government and the Jason Leitch. Yellow cards for football, the virus doesn’t care about what shape the ball is, digital Christmas etc. Also, it’s difficult to really marry up the fact that in March when the R number was 5 Leitch and his cohorts in the SG were fine with oblci events and football matches but now want to be seen to be cracking down in them as hard as possible.

I’m sure plenty of people like Jason Leitch though and he’ll probably end up in Holyrood, along with Devi Sridhar. Everyone involved in Scotland’s response has huge approval ratings.

We can talk about cases, transmissibility rate, and deaths but these figures are very prone to different sorts of biases (e.g. how many tests, geographical distribution of tests, demographical rate of positive cases, demographics of households of positive cases etc). The big picture and the focus of the modelling has been to put that info together to project ICU usage and the impact of restrictive measures - this is the primary decision making framework.

There have been differences in how different lockdown measures have impacted and we've been able to test examples in real time after the lockdown. The impact from schools, universities and the hospitality sector has been relatively weak, there's still been issues which have seen revisiting but there is a degree of confidence that many of the things in place can be controlled. These areas have been far more important in terms of economic output and general societal health so been the focus of a lot of work.

With live sport, it's quite possible we could have gotten to that level but the problem is the start date. Late summer was the time that we needed to get the test events going so we can get the working practices in place to have confidence to control the environment and a bit of data to look at the impact on ICU projections. With the issues in the environment of the players we've seen, it was only really realistic to start looking at a start up in September. The second peak was always known to be coming by the end of the year and by this time, it went a bit too close to comfort to go through the process correctly. The SPFL obviously have to lobby for their interests but quite rightly, football is low down on the priorities of what the gov are going to allocate time to and the calendar is what it is, there's only so much resources for observers.

There's that obvious criticism that comes into place when you start talking about health care capacity which is that somehow you don't care that there will be deaths and infections, kind of like Boris' quote re 'people will die' that went down like a lead balloon. The Scottish Gov have tried to create their own story to the public of simple messaging but have obviously had to navigate complex waters in marrying 'virus bad, be very vigilant' to this seemingly contradictory response when some areas of the economy are prioritised over others. Sturgeon has also not tried to focus too much on explaining the projections and modelling because quite frankly, it's difficult to disseminate to the majority of the population.

Leitch has acted in a similar vein as the dull voice to get on our airwaves and try to simplify the message as much as possible. It's a bit cringey when him and his department come out with certain terminology at times but they are all trying their best. He's been called in to discussions on live events a lot and the truth is that he is either at a stage where he can say test events can happen or they can't.

Having an administration which is seen as legitimate is very important in responding to public health emergencies and I think Sturgeon has handled herself very well in this regard in presenting a reasonable front in the face of all of this and not falling for any of the shitbaiting on other issues (e.g. refusing to attack UK Gov or the Manchesters mayor office on their recent disputes).

11 hours ago, Boostin' Kev said:

1. There seems to be a lot of Londoners selling up and moving here unfortunately.

2. I have friends that have lived here for years that are planning to move to Fife. 

1.As long as they will vote Yes

2.As long as their not Tories

54 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

This is poor Chris from a usually decent poster.

The vast majority (if not all) of “this group” have not asked for schools to be closed at any point. They would just like the government to be honest in admitting that they know schools are not “safe” as they have actually been quoted as saying, but they are being kept open despite the clear risk because of the importance of schools to student education and the wider economy.

I don't think this is correct. I think probably only yourself and Gaz fall properly into the bracket you suggest. The loudest noise on the subject has been VT, who has repeatedly called for remote learning, blended learning etc and backed it up with a typically nonsense assessment that parents who struggle with this model can be binned from their jobs and replaced with non parents. You'll probably find that your point/stance has been drowned in sea of his trolling bullshit, which is a shame really but that's what he likes doing so....

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

I don’t get it - but that’s because I’ve lost completely lost interest and haven’t really been following what’s been going on.

Can I ask why and at what point you completely lost interest? 

20 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I don't think this is correct. I think probably only yourself and Gaz fall properly into the bracket you suggest. The loudest noise on the subject has been VT, who has repeatedly called for remote learning, blended learning etc and backed it up with a typically nonsense assessment that parents who struggle with this model can be binned from their jobs and replaced with non parents. You'll probably find that your point/stance has been drowned in sea of his trolling bullshit, which is a shame really but that's what he likes doing so....

Disagree. VT is probably the one who has leaned most towards closing schools, but as you’ve said he has only gone as far as pushing blended learning, never complete closure like many on here constantly seem to repeat. The most vocal posters around schools like Szamo and Marshmallo have all just suggested the charade around schools being “safe” needs binned and honesty from the government is what they’re looking for, like myself & Gaz.

For some reason whenever anyone posts about the schools there is a certain group of posters straight in to repeat statements like Chris and you have above, stating that the group of posters want schools closed. It’s simply not the case, and it’s frustrating.

25 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

AFAIAA VT hasn't called for remote learning. He's called for blended learning, which is not the same thing.

16 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

A decent amount of fans in the stadium at Standard Liege tonight. Meanwhile we're being told we'll be lucky to see family at Christmas.

Those fans will be lucky to see Christmas, let alone family, should they contract Covid-19...

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

Those fans will be lucky to see Christmas, let alone family, should they contract Covid-19...

France are letting 5,000 into games and have been for some time. Does anyone have figures from how many of these people are replacing ones who have died through COVID due to going to the previous match? 

1 minute ago, Mr. Alli said:

France are letting 5,000 into games and have been for some time. Does anyone have figures from how many of these people are replacing ones who have died through COVID due to going to the previous match? 

I'm sure there will be a graph somewhere...

8 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I woke up this morning with a cough so went on the covid symptom checker thingie and it says either a continuous cough for an hour (nope) or three coughing episodes in 24 hours. Does that mean if I cough 3 times today those are each episodes, or does it mean 3 coughing fits?

I suspect I've just got a common or garden virus off my son but unsure if I should arrange a test.

I had a persistent cough a few weeks ago, so checked the NHS site.

The cough I had wasn't affecting my breathing, and I didn't have any of the other symptoms, so I left it, and the cough is much better - I reckon it was probably an allergy or something.

I'm no expert, obviously - best to keep checking, probably. 

19 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I woke up this morning with a cough so went on the covid symptom checker thingie and it says either a continuous cough for an hour (nope) or three coughing episodes in 24 hours. Does that mean if I cough 3 times today those are each episodes, or does it mean 3 coughing fits?

I suspect I've just got a common or garden virus off my son but unsure if I should arrange a test.

Coughing fits I would think, but u don't really know. 

17 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:
50 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

That's not true though, is it?

Probably not, no.

1 minute ago, Rob1885 said:
51 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Cmon now

Well, it won't be to a football match...

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

This is poor Chris from a usually decent poster.

The vast majority (if not all) of “this group” have not asked for schools to be closed at any point. They would just like the government to be honest in admitting that they know schools are not “safe” as they have actually been quoted as saying, but they are being kept open despite the clear risk because of the importance of schools to student education and the wider economy.

At some point, this breaks down, however, if keeping schools open causes entire sectors to be closed down / effectively closed down in an 'effort' to control the spread of a virus, of which a large proportion of starting points can be traced back to schools.

Keeping schools fully open has less to do with keeping the economy open and more to do with avoiding a backlash from those who would be understandably upset that their 'sacrifices' in July and August, they were told, were necessary to allow schools to open, only to later be told that really that was pointless as it was schools, rather than their business / employer etc, that was going to be the problem.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to hold the view that while the SG were following 'the science' available at the time - there wasn't really (m)any papers showing school children being big spreaders of the virus - that data has changed, particularly here in the UK where contact tracing shows somewhere in the region of 40% of acute outbreaks can be traced back to education settings (and that around 75% of those are in schools) versus 3% to hospitality venues, and that that requires a change in tactic.

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

I'd just book a slot at the crem, leave out the middle man.