Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Chairman Mao said:

Instead of wearing a mask, consider a shirt that says, "I'm a Pathetic Imbecile" in great big letters on both the front and back. Message is the same. But as far as I know there's no research indicating the shirt will harm your health.

Do they sell these in Primark?

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Yes, they did. Maybe without the same level of legal force, but they did. You're going to have to find another country to promote the "let it go free!" strategy.

Tbf they closed schools for seniors, encouraged working from home, banned large gatherings (max. 50 ppl, recently increased to 300), and introduced distancing. Everything else was voluntary, and pretty much everywhere remained open for those that wanted to use it.

Largely what we had in July. That's not a lockdown.

I don't know if you've seen anything from Sweden recently, but it looks pretty normal.

In fact, right on cue 

Edited by Todd_is_God

54 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Would seem a bit unfair if you're closing all non essential shops selling clothes but allowing Tesco and Asda to keep selling them. They manage to shut off alcohol aisles easy enough when it's not permitted.

The issue is that defining essential items instead of essential shops is a bit of a slippery slope. You’re into the mindset of that Chief Constable who talked about searching trolleys back in March.

I’d also argue that clothes shops are only “non-essential” precisely because supermarkets sell clothes.

I remember the stories about police checking people’s trollies for Easter eggs during the lockdown. Deeply weird stuff.

That was one police chief Constable somewhere in middle England a couple of weeks into lockdown who made a “no more Mr nice guy” type statement only for the government to quickly clarify that supermarkets were allowed to sell all of their products and things like chocolate were obviously allowed. They pretty much told the guy to shut up.

1 hour ago, Chairman Mao said:

Instead of wearing a mask, consider a shirt that says, "I'm a Pathetic Imbecile" in great big letters on both the front and back. Message is the same. But as far as I know there's no research indicating the shirt will harm your health.

My "I'm a Pathetic Imbecile" t shirt has a lot of people asking questions already answered by my "I'm a Pathetic Imbecile" t shirt

Edited by NotThePars

Tbf they closed schools for seniors, encouraged working from home, banned large gatherings (max. 50 ppl, recently increased to 300), and introduced distancing. Everything else was voluntary, and pretty much everywhere remained open for those that wanted to use it.
Largely what we had in July. That's not a lockdown.
I don't know if you've seen anything from Sweden recently, but it looks pretty normal.
In fact, right on cue 

Come on. White knighting your other account is not cool.

Can someone give me a summary as to why many on P&B are raging about the covid guidelines/lockdowns and why they hate the likes of Leitch? I don’t get it - but that’s because I’ve lost completely lost interest and haven’t really been following what’s been going on.

4 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Can someone give me a summary as to why many on P&B are raging about the covid guidelines/lockdowns and why they hate the likes of Leitch? I don’t get it - but that’s because I’ve lost completely lost interest and haven’t really been following what’s been going on.

Because jaffa VLs.

8 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Not sure. I think it involves graphs.

Because we don’t like to be told what to do by a dentist

Basically there is a body of opinion on P&B that school reopenings have driven the increase in infection numbers that we’ve seen in the last few months. This group is frustrated at the refusal of public health figures like Leitch and the Scottish Government to countenance further closures of schools to try and bring the virus under control. Many people in here disagree with this strongly, as any reading of this thread will tell you.

Separate to this I think there’s a general degree of annoyance with the patronising tone of the pronouncements from the Scottish Government and the Jason Leitch. Yellow cards for football, the virus doesn’t care about what shape the ball is, digital Christmas etc. Also, it’s difficult to really marry up the fact that in March when the R number was 5 Leitch and his cohorts in the SG were fine with oblci events and football matches but now want to be seen to be cracking down in them as hard as possible.

I’m sure plenty of people like Jason Leitch though and he’ll probably end up in Holyrood, along with Devi Sridhar. Everyone involved in Scotland’s response has huge approval ratings.

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Basically there is a body of opinion on P&B that school reopenings have driven the increase in infection numbers that we’ve seen in the last few months. This group is frustrated at the refusal of public health figures like Leitch and the Scottish Government to countenance further closures of schools to try and bring the virus under control. Many people in here disagree with this strongly, as any reading of this thread will tell you.

Separate to this I think there’s a general degree of annoyance with the patronising tone of the pronouncements from the Scottish Government and the Jason Leitch. Yellow cards for football, the virus doesn’t care about what shape the ball is, digital Christmas etc. Also, it’s difficult to really marry up the fact that in March when the R number was 5 Leitch and his cohorts in the SG were fine with oblci events and football matches but now want to be seen to be cracking down in them as hard as possible.

I’m sure plenty of people like Jason Leitch though and he’ll probably end up in Holyrood, along with Devi Sridhar. Everyone involved in Scotland’s response has huge approval ratings.

This is poor Chris from a usually decent poster.

The vast majority (if not all) of “this group” have not asked for schools to be closed at any point. They would just like the government to be honest in admitting that they know schools are not “safe” as they have actually been quoted as saying, but they are being kept open despite the clear risk because of the importance of schools to student education and the wider economy.

18 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I'd have to disagree with this.

I haven't seen anyone on this thread, even those of us who work in the education sector, call for schools to be closed.

What I (and others) have said is that we have no problem with schools remaining open (I fully understand the importance both in terms of education and childcare) but would like the preposterous charade that the virus doesn't know how to get through a school's front doors dropped.

It also doesn't help that your evening viewing is constantly interrupted by "an important health announcement from the Scottish Government" and it is simply a repeat of one you have seen many times before. 

Obviously it has to be done but everyone is reaching for the remote to choose "Skip important health announcement".

Edited by Fullerene

14 hours ago, madwullie said:

Those cancer stats are fiddled btw. The vast majority of these people died with cancer, not from cancer. 

Plus, none of the others are airborne, for example you can't catch a stroke.