Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Slovakia has announced the closure of schools to all but kindergarten and first grade children (6-7 years) with the other eight school years being punted into full-time distance learning with colleges and universities. Applies nationwide from Monday until November 27.

Which seems strange given that The Science has pointed overwhelmingly to pubs and nail bars being the problem!

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Yes I said that. Not sure what relevance this had to what I said about an hour ago though 

You keep saying Covid deaths are tragic but... and then compare them to having people you don't like on breakfast tv or non infectious diseases you obviously can't control by reducing transmission. They're both odd comparisons. 

Slovakia has announced the closure of schools to all but kindergarten and first grade children (6-7 years) with the other eight school years being punted into full-time distance learning with colleges and universities. Applies nationwide from Monday until November 27.
Which seems strange given that The Science has pointed overwhelmingly to pubs and nail bars being the problem!
Drunk children imo

8 hours ago, Boostin' Kev said:

It's a big issue, I wouldn't like to be in my early twenties trying out for the first time. As a home owner, I should be happy about it but I'm not. 

Me and my pal have just bought our first places - his is over £160k for a 1 bed flat in slate ford luckily he got he £25k SG contribution meanwhile in fife I got a 2 bed mid terrace house for less than £140k the market is slowing since the first lockdown ended but Edinburgh seems to be in a bubble all of its own - I think the AirBnb market will eventually stop prices rising but can't see a dip after this unless Brexit really is a disaster and folk can't get student visas etc.

17 minutes ago, 101 said:

Me and my pal have just bought our first places - his is over £160k for a 1 bed flat in slate ford luckily he got he £25k SG contribution meanwhile in fife I got a 2 bed mid terrace house for less than £140k the market is slowing since the first lockdown ended but Edinburgh seems to be in a bubble all of its own - I think the AirBnb market will eventually stop prices rising but can't see a dip after this unless Brexit really is a disaster and folk can't get student visas etc.

I can't see the property values dropping much, especially around here. I'd quite like them to tbh. Over 160k for a 1 bed flat in Slateford is mental. It's a decent area. Brexit could change things a lot but I can't see the property market slowing down much here. 

7 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Recently? I was told this by a guy who had seen a letter from the hospital sent to an employee last week. Said employee was in the administration side, perhaps it didnt go to patient facing staff.

It doesnt seem to have gone to other NHS facilities in the area, or at least not to the wifes one.

Policy in Grampian is you should isolate if one of your household has symptoms.

2 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

I can't see the property values dropping much, especially around here. I'd quite like them to tbh. Over 160k for a 1 bed flat in Slateford is mental. It's a decent area. Brexit could change things a lot but I can't see the property market slowing down much here. 

It will be interesting with that huge development at Ocean Terminal - i thought it would be snapped up by folk working the in office blocks right next door but if you're working from home and presumably could live anywhere, why choose a flat fairly out the way when you could get a house and a garden elsewhere. I hope icvid gives people the power to live where they like but I think you're right Edinburgh and probably most of Scotland will keep fairly steady markets - My solicitor said England markets are down but Scotland is only going up albeit at a slower rate that it was in July/ August when restrictions were lifted.

8 minutes ago, 101 said:

It will be interesting with that huge development at Ocean Terminal - i thought it would be snapped up by folk working the in office blocks right next door but if you're working from home and presumably could live anywhere, why choose a flat fairly out the way when you could get a house and a garden elsewhere. I hope icvid gives people the power to live where they like but I think you're right Edinburgh and probably most of Scotland will keep fairly steady markets - My solicitor said England markets are down but Scotland is only going up albeit at a slower rate that it was in July/ August when restrictions were lifted.

There seems to be a lot of Londoners selling up and moving here unfortunately. I have friends that have lived here for years that are planning to move to Fife. 

Interesting. Emergency admissions for acute respiratory infections (which Covid comes under) are considerably below the norm for this time of year (in England), and not rising.

Which doesn't support the "tightening of restrictions are required to protect the NHS as covid admissions are rising" line.

Either a large proportion of those in hospital with covid are in hospital for something else, and just happen to be testing positive (ie irrelevant), or they are contracting covid once inside hospital, and going on to require treatment (a genuine concern, which would be a repeat of failings earlier in the year).

Neither of those scenarios would, however, justify, or be in any way helped, by additional restrictions outside of the hospital.

20201022_223637.jpg

Edited by Todd_is_God

8 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Interesting. Emergency admissions for acute respiratory infections (which Covid comes under) are considerably below the norm for this time of year (in England), and not rising.

Which doesn't support the tightening of restrictions are required to protect the NHS as covid admissions are rising line.

Either a large proportion of those in hospital with covid are in hospital for something else, and just happen to be testing positive, or they are contracting covid once inside hospital, and going on to require treatment.

Neither of which would justify, or be helped, by additional restrictions outside of the hospital.

Or the reduction in non Covid respiratory infections are a collateral effect of the measures to reduce transmission of Covid.

Edited by welshbairn

3 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Instead of wearing a mask, consider a shirt that says, "I'm a Pathetic Imbecile" in great big letters on both the front and back. Message is the same. But as far as I know there's no research indicating the shirt will harm your health.

Cough on your neighbours, sheeple!

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Or the reduction in non Covid respiratory infections are a collateral effect of the measures to reduce transmission of Covid.

Possibly some of that (looking at the summer months it was well under), but the point I was making was the existing restrictions were fine. There's no need to tighten them.

If there is a problem with transmission within hospital, closing hospitality etc won't solve that.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Wales seems to be going a bit mental.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-54648194

Supermarkets will be unable to sell items like clothes during the 17-day Covid firebreak lockdown in Wales.

First Minister Mark Drakeford said it would be "made clear" to them they are only able to open parts of their business that sell "essential goods".

Many retailers will be forced to shut but food shops, off-licences and pharmacies can stay open when lockdown begins on Friday at 18:00 BST.

9 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Sweden didn’t go into lockdown.

Yes, they did. Maybe without the same level of legal force, but they did. You're going to have to find another country to promote the "let it go free!" strategy.

12 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Wales seems to be going a bit mental.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-54648194

Would seem a bit unfair if you're closing all non essential shops selling clothes but allowing Tesco and Asda to keep selling them. They manage to shut off alcohol aisles easy enough when it's not permitted.