Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I’m in the midst of selling my house and everyone involved in the property market in Edinburgh says it’s the busiest it’s been in years, or has ever been. Removals guys, estate agents solicitors, mortgage advisors are all saying it.

18 minutes ago, super_carson said:

Can really only echo the sentiments here about the Christmas market.  It's all ran by the same company, over the top prices and it got far, far too big a few years ago.  Similar to the fringe, maybe a year off from it would be a good thing in terms of "resetting".   I don't know many locals who are ecstatic about the market when it opens, usually makes getting around the town a bloody nightmare.  

As for the Christmas restrictions, I'm personally not too effected by it.  My other half's family are in Dublin and wouldn't be over anyway, my brother will work Christmas Day and it's just my Dad now so it's always a small affair for us.    That all said, I do have a lot of sympathy for those families where Christmas is the only time where they can get together. I can see quite a few saying to hell with it, and it's not like the police have the resources to be asked to enforce it.  

They only think they'll be dictating terms at Christmas, I'll be deciding what I do then regardless of which shitty tier I'm living under. 

49 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Haha lol at those roasters getting wound up at Scotland having its Covid policy set by a guy that's probably been featured on the Jeans and Sheaux account and a woman who has Live Laugh Love wall art.

Mental that people care about the words of someone who is defining what we can and can't do with literally every aspect of our lives while a potentially deadly virus circulates

11 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I like the trams too, it's just they gambled on the property market by developing those Newhaven flats for £40 million thinking they would grow so much in value they could sell them to pay for it except the roadworks took so long and nobody wanted a 1 bed flat at the other end of them from town that they ended up selling the lot of them for about 3 million quid. Hence they're desperate for any and all sources of cash leading to the farcical situation of entertaining the idea of having their own holiday lets instead of properly regulating the sector in the interests of residents. We truly elect our best and brightest to local government.

Western Harbour? Those flats sound like a nightmare. 

12 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I read earlier that the income savings rate has jumped from 6% to 30%. A lot of that will be going into property as will a lot of the business grants and loans.

Even the combination of Brexit and Covid can't overwhelm the long term scarcity in the UK property market. 

It's ridiculous what we could rent our flat for, at least £1100 pcm. Feel sorry for the young ones trying to get onto property. 

10 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I’m in the midst of selling my house and everyone involved in the property market in Edinburgh says it’s the busiest it’s been in years, or has ever been. Removals guys, estate agents solicitors, mortgage advisors are all saying it.

Lack of supply. It's hard to believe with the amount of new developments getting built in the city and the Lothians just now. People want to live here which is good, but the city will ended up like a mini London imo. 

9 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

It's ridiculous what we could rent our flat for, at least £1100 pcm. Feel sorry for the young ones trying to get onto property. 

I live on the Walk just now and my flatmate and I are near enough a grand for a two bedroom shoebox. It's nice enough but absolutely tiny. Moving in with my partner and a decent one bed will be at least 850 anywhere that's not a. A shitehole or b. A long bus ride into the town. We're committing to save as much as we can to buy in a year/18 months because looking at mortgage calculators we'd be so much better off.

I haven't been keeping track, but does this mean I won't be going to see my wife's extended family on Boxing Day? Result!

(I jest, in truth. My wife's extended family are a great bunch)

They've just said there will likely be some restrictions, depending on the infection rate. Some folk have jumped to the conclusion that "Christmas is cancelled!!!!!!!!!". 

Most likely it will be something along the lines of a certain number of households being able to gather in the one place. 

Meh. 

7 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I live on the Walk just now and my flatmate and I are near enough a grand for a two bedroom shoebox. It's nice enough but absolutely tiny. Moving in with my partner and a decent one bed will be at least 850 anywhere that's not a. A shitehole or b. A long bus ride into the town. We're committing to save as much as we can to buy in a year/18 months because looking at mortgage calculators we'd be so much better off.

Could probably rent ours for £1300/£1400 pcm if we pushed it, which I wouldn't do,  2 bed flat with private outdoor areas, it's ridiculous.  Leith prices are daft just now, I'd recommend buying in Restalrig/Lochend.

4 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Rents must nearly be double what they were a decade ago on average. Nutty.

It's a big issue, I wouldn't like to be in my early twenties trying out for the first time. As a home owner, I should be happy about it but I'm not. 

8 hours ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

Details are a bit sketchy but 28 year old Brazilian doctor vaccinated and part of the Oxford / Astra trial dies.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20201022_12/amp.html?cid=wohk-tw-org_wn&__twitter_impression=true

It wasn't the Covid. The Met Police shot him. 

2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

What size of gathering does he think will be acceptable? I usually have my parents, the wife’s parents, the wife’s sister and family and her brother and her grandad. Now to be fair, that is too many at the best of times, but I wonder what he sees as an acceptable number. 

^^^

Purgatory.jpg

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

So she did say it was her "firm intention" they would be lifted.

Instead we got an extention, and the introduction of a tier system, which isn't time-limited.

Not very firm then 🤣

You can have firm intentions for things and still have to change those plans.