Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I don’t think Jason Leitch is running his mouth. The Scottish and U.K. governments have taken a similar approach to managing certain communications during the pandemic, which is to have constant foreshadowing of decisions to be taken to warm up the public for what’s to come. That’s what he is doing.

It’s an extremely annoying way of communicating, it just contributes to this sense of doom that people have and it treats people like children.

4 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

🤣 that’s a classic.

What she didn’t say was that it was “absolutely time limited”.

Just as well I never said that then. Other than confirming what I already know, I'm not sure what point you are making here.

Just now, MixuFruit said:

Delighted the christmas market has been cancelled in Edinburgh. The gardens will actually look quite pretty this winter for a change.

The city doesn't need novelty pish that wrecks probably the most beautiful outdoor area in the world for months after. Underbelly aren't Edinburgh. 

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I see that more money will be forthcoming for places in high tiered restrictions, basically giving Greater Manchester everything they asked for.

All hail Prime Minister Sunak.

It is quite funny that for all Johnson avoiding having to deliver bad news and sending a sap like Hancock out to do it, that anything likely to be seen as popular is delivered by Sunak rather than Johnson. 

2 minutes ago, superbigal said:

The 4 cesspit health authorities still make up over 80% of yesterday's positive tests. This reflects on 54% of the population.

Given that they are 4 of the 5 most populated areas in Scotland im not sure that's a massive surprise.

Christmas is pish, I'm not bothered about restrictions there. The Edinburgh market has definitely been cancelled now as far as I'm aware. That was something that had the potential to be good but ended up shite. 
This is clearly a well thought out "leak" by Leitch today. First question at the briefing shows his big juicy worm had done the trick perfectly thus allowing the FM to peddle the real narrative that is clearly "Comply now and we have a better chance of a less restrictive Christmas ". Job done. Folk like Leitch don't just drop little nuggets like that carelessly this far out. It's was a very obvious strategic move.

21 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It's a clearly strategy of him basically leaking ideas so that when Sturgeon mentions them later there is less of a reaction. 

And the English would NEVER do that, (says the guy reading headlines a week in advance in the daily Newspapers).

It's called politics, you test the water and can then change tack or even deny all knowledge depending on the public reaction.

Can really only echo the sentiments here about the Christmas market.  It's all ran by the same company, over the top prices and it got far, far too big a few years ago.  Similar to the fringe, maybe a year off from it would be a good thing in terms of "resetting".   I don't know many locals who are ecstatic about the market when it opens, usually makes getting around the town a bloody nightmare.  

As for the Christmas restrictions, I'm personally not too effected by it.  My other half's family are in Dublin and wouldn't be over anyway, my brother will work Christmas Day and it's just my Dad now so it's always a small affair for us.    That all said, I do have a lot of sympathy for those families where Christmas is the only time where they can get together. I can see quite a few saying to hell with it, and it's not like the police have the resources to be asked to enforce it.  

1 hour ago, Wee Bully said:

Good to see tears and snotters about Christmas. Anyone who imagined you would be having a normal Christmas with 20 folk in the house and cousins from Liverpool coming up really hasn’t been paying attention.

I’m more annoyed that the Burns season is ruined, but I’ll get over it.

Bonfire night?

And the English would NEVER do that, (says the guy reading headlines a week in advance in the daily Newspapers).
It's called politics, you test the water and can then change tack or even deny all knowledge depending on the public reaction.

Who said the English would never do that?

It is quite funny that for all Johnson avoiding having to deliver bad news and sending a sap like Hancock out to do it, that anything likely to be seen as popular is delivered by Sunak rather than Johnson. 
Johnson seems to have quit making any announcements after his moonshot nonsense.

5 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

It's all about paying off those tram debts. I wonder how their other genius plan to buy their own flats to cash in on Airbnb is going lol.

I'm actually keen for the trams. I'd like to see them going around Leith. Airbnb market around Leith is awful though, there's tenements off the Walk with 5 or 6 keyboxes on them. Said yesterday that the property market here doesn't seem to have slowed down any, it's bad for the locals that are being forced out by the prices. 

1 minute ago, Boostin' Kev said:

I'm actually keen for the trams. I'd like to see them going around Leith. Airbnb market around Leith is awful though, there's tenements off the Walk with 5 or 6 keyboxes on them. Said yesterday that the property market here doesn't seem to have slowed down any, it's bad for the locals that are being forced out by the prices. 

Rapidly going OT here but fair play to the folk behind all the student accommodation blocks getting whacked up around Abbeyhill and Meadbank in recent months. Get students in tiny wee spaces for maximum profit then, when they aren't around, open them up to tourists as massive Air BnB style accommodation blocks during the busiest parts of the year. Winning(!)

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

Who said the English would never do that?

Nobody, I was merely pointing out that it's what every government does in every country, irrespective of left leaning, centrist, right leaning or whatever.

Reading some of the comments from some quarters would have you believe that the SG were doing things that were unheard of in politics when it is in fact just the normal and not even worth commenting upon.

4 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Said yesterday that the property market here doesn't seem to have slowed down any, it's bad for the locals that are being forced out by the prices. 

I read earlier that the income savings rate has jumped from 6% to 30%. A lot of that will be going into property as will a lot of the business grants and loans.

Even the combination of Brexit and Covid can't overwhelm the long term scarcity in the UK property market. 

8 minutes ago, RiG said:

Rapidly going OT here but fair play to the folk behind all the student accommodation blocks getting whacked up around Abbeyhill and Meadbank in recent months. Get students in tiny wee spaces for maximum profit then, when they aren't around, open them up to tourists as massive Air BnB style accommodation blocks during the busiest parts of the year. Winning(!)

There's 10 flats sharing one kitchen in some of them. Save Leith Walk prevented that happening next to where I stay and a venue that does gigs I don't really like has managed to stay open, best bar in the area imo though. 

Edited by Boostin' Kev