Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Every single article I can find about it in more reputable-ish publications has scientists complaining about the methodology as the image, which is from https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/06/18/health/coronavirus-retractions-studies.amp.html

Screenshot_20201021-232314_Chrome.jpg

A lesson for us all @Chairman Mao .

But the language he and his colleagues used was “perhaps too strong,” Dr. Molina said.

“Maybe we have some exaggerated sentences here — we’re sorry. We should have been a bit more careful with the language.”

5 tiers eh?

I can't help thinking that folk will only be let back into the football when the country is on the lowest tier. Which might be an impossible goal in the short to medium term.

Actually my work used to have a 5 mark system when it came to annual reporting:

Box 5: total fuckwit

Box 4: semi fuckwit

Box 3: average. Most people got this

Box 2: high flying. You got a bonus 

Box 1: you were shagging one of the Directors and you got a big bonus.

As Civil Servants advise the Scottish Government I wonder if the 5 tier idea was influenced by the old box marking system for Civil Service annual reports.

And no, I never got Boxes 1, 4 or 5.

1 hour ago, Forest_Fifer said:

I see another 4 Nottingham students have been fined 10 grand each for holding a house party and lying to police about it. emoji2357.png

BBC News - Covid-19: Nottingham party students fined £40,000
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-54631524

Looks like we will be next into tier 3.

Probably justified given sheer numbers involved, but there are some pretty substantial drops being recorded in Nottingham and it's on a clear downward trend in terms of cases per 100k. 

7 hours ago, Forest_Fifer said:

I see another 4 Nottingham students have been fined 10 grand each for holding a house party and lying to police about it. emoji2357.png

BBC News - Covid-19: Nottingham party students fined £40,000
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-54631524

Looks like we will be next into tier 3.

Hopefully they will be kicked out of uni too.

1 hour ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

Details are a bit sketchy but 28 year old Brazilian doctor vaccinated and part of the Oxford / Astra trial dies.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20201022_12/amp.html?cid=wohk-tw-org_wn&__twitter_impression=true

From what I've seen he was on the placebo. 

10 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Some laugh watching #ToryScum trending out of areas like Yorkshire and Lancashire where the electorate ditched their traditional voting patterns en-masse less than a year ago to overwhelmingly vote them in on the basis of 'getting Brexit done'.

Now that they've decided to deny food to impoverished children during a pandemic, the same folk who voted for them are suffering a bit of remorse and are just picking up that they aren't very nice people. I mean, it's not like we had decades of their cuntishness to draw on or anything.

Yes mate. The people tweeting are the same ones who voted Tory. Old boys in Yorkshire love a hashtag. 

Great analysis.

35 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Jason Leitch tells BBC there will be no gatherings allowed over Christmas

Is that what he actually said though?

The Record suggests that the quote was:

“I’m hopeful costs now may get us a more family Christmas. But Christmas is not going to be normal, absolutely no question about that.

We’re not going to be in large family groupings with multiple families coming round that is fiction for this year.

But I’m hopeful that if we can get numbers down to a certain level we may be able to get some form of normality. But people should get their digital Christmas ready.

Our (R) number will be published either today or tomorrow and I'm hopeful that will be down just a little. It still won’t be anywhere near we’re beginning to see the deceleration of that increase.”

Based on the above hopefully it will mean some small numbers can meet but 3 or 4 or more family groups getting together will be out.

Edited by RiG

34 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Jason Leitch tells BBC there will be no gatherings allowed over Christmas

"Digital Christmas" is going to be up there with "new normal" soon for phrases that make me want to claw my eyes out.

Great to see Leitch saying this. He's been wrong on literally everything else this year so I'm looking forward to getting the family round the table with no issues on Christmas day.