Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Surely Jason Leitch doesn't genuinely believe that the doubling time, calculated over a small period, would continue indefinitely in real world conditions without any interventions?

Saying that they haven't is evidence that the restrictions are working does little for his credibility.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Surely Jason Leitch doesn't genuinely believe that the doubling time, calculated over a small period, would continue indefinitely in real world conditions without any interventions?

I’d be pretty certain he doesn’t believe that but what he is saying fits with the message he wants to put out there. Whether we agree with his view or not doesn’t alter that.

2 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

I see gyms in Liverpool have now been told they can re-open because Lancashire, which was placed into Tier 3 after Liverpool, was told its gyms can remain open. 

Will they be serving a substantial meal? That seems to be the way round it.

Just now, Tynierose said:

He believes whatever he is told to believe.

Well, aye.

I find it slightly odd that, among those advising, there are no epidemiologists or virologists.

I don't expect NS or a Dentist to be subject matter experts, but I would expect, as a minimum, for them to consult those who are.

49 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The point being that the SG have a number of options:

1 - Accept that the virus is endemic (and that you cannot "beat it"), with a very low IFR, and that, despite what 'alarm' they want to portray about current Covid numbers, the hospital occupancy levels are currently in line with, or below, normal for this time of year. Relax restrictions, but encourage distancing and good hygiene.

2 - Maintain that they can suppress a virus, and take steps to mitigate this in the places where transmission is actually happening, whilst allowing places it isn't to open. This would mean closing schools, at least partially (i.e. over 16s), but allowing 'covid secure' hospitality venues to trade.

3 - A heads gone, close everything lockdown.

It's impossible to take the SG seriously until they drop the populist BS about schools being no risk, and keeping them open being the top priority. 

Simply maintaining arbitrary restrictions in place (which, unsurprisingly given there was little evidence to suggest they would, clearly aren't working), crossing their fingers, and waiting until 'cases' reduce naturally is an unacceptable strategy 7 months in.

Again, (how many times do I need to do this), I'll point out that NS and the SG are merely following the science and that science is almost identical across the whole of Europe.

If, for the sake of arguing, Scotland was doing things completely differently from everyone else and if we were intentionally destroying our economy while also pissing off large sections of our population, then again Yes, I'd agree with you, however the argument ending point is that We're NOT !!!

Take a quick look at the current restrictions around Europe with regards to the closure of hospitality, cancelled sporting events, curfews etc, etc,etc.

I think this whole argument has now boiled down to those who see covid as a threat and those who don't and there's no doubt what camp a few of you on this thread are currently in, rightly or wrongly.

Once again though, if you're right then that would mean that the leading scientists and clinicians are all wrong which would seem a rather strange coincidence unless it was in fact a global conspiracy to destroy wealth and the western Economy that all the leaders were in on ???

Well, who knows ??

2 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I’d be pretty certain he doesn’t believe that but what he is saying fits with the message he wants to put out there. Whether we agree with his view or not doesn’t alter that.

But he must surely understand that by making such statements, his overall credibility is shot to pieces.

It weakens the impact of everything he says, as I just assume it's equally bollocks.

Just now, Tynierose said:

Creatine, whey and some steroids.

Salad with that and they can open when they like. All pubs in tier 3 should invest in a pie oven to offer substantial meals. 3 pies is a substantial meal in anybody's language, although I would probably have them on buttered rolls, just to be sure.