Coronavirus (COVID-19)

31 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:

You realise he is arguing for more money for the ones on minimum wage that are most likely to be affected by the new lockdown?

He has huge support for this in GM and what he is saying is that there should be more help for these workers and that any other city/region going into the third tier will only be able to expect that same level of help which is not enough.

How come people are expected to survive through this lockdown without any furlough scheme that there was earlier in the year, what is different for them this time round.

The fact that you think this is wrong and Andy Burnham is wrong says more about you.

Burnham was previously quite happy for the Tier 3 measures to apply provided they also applied across the whole of England. This would, of course, have affected the very same people that will be impacted in Greater Manchester across the whole of the country. Granted these people are not his voters, he was seemingly happy enough for them to have the base level of government support.

There is a replacement furlough scheme - it's worse than the one that is about expire. It's the starting point and he's of course within his rights to ask for more money, which is fine. I don't recall saying he shouldn't try and ask for more money despite whatever your insinuations here are. Indeed, he was offered a package which has seemingly now disappeared because the government's emptied it's pram again. 

Burnham has overplayed a pretty bad hand here and failed to realise what he's dealing with. The Johnson government is awful and employs childish tactics - did he really think they'd cave to him when they are happy to f**k the EU around by messing around with negotiations and table bills threating to breach international law? For all I've never rated him, he's an experienced politician and really ought to have realised how this would play out. They have no respect decency or any form of norms, and playing hardball is met with harmful reactions carried out in haste. Additionally, they've been a weak shambles for months and they have gleefully made an example of him to assert some kind of strong image. 

He has little to no power here too - this isn't Scotland where health is devolved. If the government orders the tier 3 restrictions, that's it. Again I'll say it - his region is amongst the worst affected in England, further weakening his bargaining power. He has overplayed his hand against a government that, as I've said, is prone to reacting childishly and also in a harmful way. Which is exactly what has happened. 

Burnham has fought for his region and fair play to him, but the end result here is a bad one. I don't doubt his intentions, but he's played it badly and the government has lashed out. Who knows, maybe he'll achieve a classic Boris u-turn in which case I will withdraw my criticism of him. However this government does tend to pick quite peculiar things to dig its heels in on. 

19 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

In addition to the member of my group who has tested positive, the latest news is that one of the other members of my group has just found out that her mother (who she lives with) has also just tested positive. I am fucked, lads.

The lengths that some folk will go to to get out of a bet.

19 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

In addition to the member of my group who has tested positive, the latest news is that one of the other members of my group has just found out that her mother (who she lives with) has also just tested positive. I am fucked, lads.

You should listen to Chairman Mao more. You'll be right as rain.

This is becoming one hell of a shambles in England, Burnham wants to pick and choose his rules for Manchester and now Khan is demanding to cherry pick the rules for London and has decided what ones he'll adhere to and what ones he'll ignore. Meanwhile Liverpool believe they've been sold down the river and are rightly furious.

There's no doubt that the UK Gov have lost control and any authority they had has been completely undermined / destroyed, expect anarchy as the next step as I can't see how they can retrieve the situation.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/10/20/scots-face-five-levels-lockdown-sturgeons-severe-alert-system/

Scotland to have a five tier system, same as England but a top tier level of full lockdown (excluding schools) and a bottom tier of normality.

According to the above report pubs closure will by extended by a week and then the tiers will kick in.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/10/20/scots-face-five-levels-lockdown-sturgeons-severe-alert-system/

Scotland to have a five tier system, same as England but a top tier level of full lockdown (excluding schools) and a bottom tier of normality.

According to the above report pubs closure will by extended by a week and then the tiers will kick in.

Full lockdown for the central belt then I predict.

2 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Full lockdown for the central belt then I predict.

Only reason system being formulated, to immediately implement it copying Wales and Ireland

Fucking long winter ahead

Like whatsername said at the end of terminator 1

38 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

I prefer to cite the ONS & NRS statistics which show that the epidemic finished at the end of May.

I’ll leave those who deny legitimate facts to continue watching loose women whilst wearing their tin foil hats 

Could you do me a favour, please? And I promise you I'm being 100% sincere.

What is the exact lie?

and

Why are they doing it? 

If you could be direct and concise, that would be great.

Cheers.

Edited by paranoid android