Coronavirus (COVID-19)

25 minutes ago, Aufc said:

I don’t really understand why some people are getting so wound up about the school thing. Clearly it is causing an increase in cases (probably more so than other things) but it is clear they won’t be shutting unless absolutely necessary. What difference does it make if the government say they think schools are low risk. It is what it is. Unless i am missing something.

They should really let us know the real figures from the schools. Example - Granny and Granda are shielding, the weans have knocked of school, maw n paw are working they can get Granny and Granda to babysit the weans. The whole family should be aware of the risks status of the kids being covid asymptomatic.

They should really let us know the real figures from the schools. Example - Granny and Granda are shielding, the weans have knocked of school, maw n paw are working they can get Granny and Granda to babysit the weans. The whole family should be aware of the risks status of the kids being covid asymptomatic.
Some individual authorities are giving numbers - just not consistently across the board.

39 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Except they are. The very post I quoted referred to parents thinking that looking after their own kids is an inconvenience. 

This thread is littered with comments about parents thinking that teachers are babysitters and schools are day care centres. 

These points aren't mutually exclusive - in fact they're logically consistent if someone believes blended learning is the right way to go. They could make the following consistent argument containing all those viewpoints:

'I appreciate that it's a massive inconvenience for parents which will cause huge upheaval to their lives and it's understandable they want to avoid that. However blended learning is necessary to get the virus under control and we need fewer pupils mixing in schools. Someone needs to take care of those children so parents just have to deal with the inconvenience that causes them - numbers need to reduce for schools to remain open so teachers can't be used as babysitters.'

It'd be a belligerent and pretty dickish way to make the point, but this is P&B.

17 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

She's too sensitive to hold the public "position" she does. She frantically searches out tweets about herself and attacks people she should just leave be. One day she's going to f**k up massively and that'll be the end of her, so I'm wary of people going down this "doing more good than harm" route. I cringe every time I hear her name, I can't be the only one.

It's never too late for a divorce.

She's a wid tho

Was reading an article on the tes website about a teacher who developed sepsis after complications from covid. She ended up getting both arms and half her tongue amputated. 

I know that's very unusual and in no way what happens to even a handful of people, but for f**k sake 😫

She's a wid tho

Was reading an article on the tes website about a teacher who developed sepsis after complications from covid. She ended up getting both arms and half her tongue amputated. 
I know that's very unusual and in no way what happens to even a handful of people, but for f**k sake [emoji31]

Just as well you posted these two items in the order you did tbh [emoji50]

It's about honesty, and transparency.
I have no problem with schools remaining open. I understand their importance and, from a selfish point of view, going to work gives me something to do and stops me having a nervous breakdown, as I was very close to doing so in June.
I just want someone to acknowledge that they aren't safe, but they are necessary to allow pupils to be educated and to allow parents back to work.

Fair enough. Why are they not being transparent about schools? Is it to ensure they stayed open? Surely they could admit it but still keep them open.

2 hours ago, Falkirk09Bairn said:

Or calling a man who was racially abused a dirty coward for lightly tapping the perpetrator on the back of the head. 

I have only become a semi-regular contributor to the General Nonsense section of this forum in recent months but that particular incident seems to have caused the poster in question to descend into ever increasing cycles of abusive and nasty comments.

I find that those who resort to such language with regularity and lack empathy are projecting and are more to be pitied.

Don't let things like that put you off contributing more to the forum yourself.

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo

1 minute ago, Aufc said:

Fair enough. Why are they not being transparent about schools? Is it to ensure they stayed open? Surely they could admit it but still keep them open.

IMO, they're not being transparent about schools because doing so would mean admitting they made a massive f**k-up two weeks before the schools went back by ditching the blended learning (that we'd spent months preparing for) for full-time, unrestricted schooling, thanks largely to pressure groups like that absolutely bonkers UsForThem.

32 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

The teachers in my family have all registered in the last few days.

Hopefully there has been a high take-up amongst all staff across the country.

I've signed up for it, as have most of my colleagues.  I suspect there probably has been quite a high percentage of staff registering for it, though not everyone will get given one. 

IMO, they're not being transparent about schools because doing so would mean admitting they made a massive f**k-up two weeks before the schools went back by ditching the blended learning (that we'd spent months preparing for) for full-time, unrestricted schooling, thanks largely to pressure groups like that absolutely bonkers UsForThem.

Not good.

I realise this is anecdotal but i have seen many large groups of school age kids all hanging about at night with nae social distancing etc. Surely in schools there is some degree of control over social distancing? Seems like it goes out the window once they are out. They probably don’t realise that they will be the dafties paying for it in years to come

Edited to add. It is outside so guess that makes it harder to spread

1 minute ago, Aufc said:

Not good.

I realise this is anecdotal but i have seen many large groups of school age kids all hanging about at night with nae social distancing etc. Surely in schools there is some degree of control over social distancing? Seems like it goes out the window once they are out. They probably don’t realise that they will be the dafties paying for it in years to come

Edited to add. It is outside so guess that makes it harder to spread

There are some measures. We now have staggered lunchtimes and break times so we don't have 1000 pupils in the social areas at once. We have a one-way system around the corridors. Unfortunately a large number of pupils ignore the one-way system, ignore the hand sanitizer, ignore masks.

And why shouldn't they? In a curious twist of fate, around the time the blended learning model was being sacked in favour of a free-for-all, kids were told they could ignore social distancing, they could play with their mates with no restriction on numbers. The governments effectively told then they were immune and now folk are wondering why they're acting like they're immune. Which made Leitch's "thanks, kids!" video quite perplexing.

It was of course an astonishing coincidence that the "get out and play" message happened just shortly after pressure groups started advocating for "get them all back!" schooling.

19 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

I have only become a semi-regular contributor to the General Nonsense section of this forum in recent months but that particular incident seems to have caused the poster in question to descend into ever increasing cycles of abusive and nasty comments.

I find that those who resort to such language with regularity and lack empathy are projecting and are more to be pitied.

Don't let things like that put you off contributing more to the forum yourself.

Which make posts like the one below even more bizarre.

On 02/10/2020 at 21:10, Bairnardo said:

Not saying he was bullied although tbf I dont know enough about it, wasnt involved in his apparent "performance" over the Hearts issue. 

I personally think that, for all it maybe lacks in magnitude, following a particular poster about the place dotting them for example, is a bit snide and unnecessary. Aye it can easily be belittled in isolation, in a conversation  like this, but for the most part we dont know the effects our actions have on others so stuff like that is really best avoided IMO. My own actions over my time on P&B havent always been exemplary. Lockdown made me review that. 

Just dont think it should be dismissed. Who are we to judge what websites or forums folk deem important to them

24 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I think I'd give up sex if it guaranteed never hearing Janey Godley's voice again.

That's one of the bonuses of not having a facebook account, I've heard the name a few times but have no idea who she is, what she sounds like or what she looks like and I'm quite happy for it to stay that way !

Bearing in mind this study was conducted during lockdown, what do you think the likely outcome is of sending children and staff back to education with no restrictions?
Children making up a small percentage of symptomatic caseloads is the problem. If they don't have symptoms they don't get tested.
Are people happy for children to be spreading a virus we still do not know everything about amongst each other and taking it home to their families? I don't think they are but you would think so reading certain posts on here.
My sister works as a nurse in ICU. She knows restrictions being put on education will inconvenience her in terms of childcare but she also knows her work has become busier since the schools went back and they will be close to breaking point in the next few weeks. She certainly didn't notice any difference during the first 2 months after pubs, restaurants, retail, etc reopened...
All people tested for coronavirus at my work have all caught the cough from their kids. None of them drink in pubs and two have underlying conditions so don't mix during the pandemic.
Its not the schools though.

1 minute ago, MixuFruit said:

was she not cancelled for racism or something, tweeting something at 50 cent a while ago? Or was that fake?

I couldn't tell you, I have her blocked. The only time I hear her now is when she's occasionally brought onto STV for some fucking reason.

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I couldn't tell you, I have her blocked. The only time I hear her now is when she's occasionally brought onto STV for some fucking reason.

She’s in hignfy tonight.

Wont bother watching.