Coronavirus (COVID-19)

The French Government have just declared a State of Emergency due to rapidly increasing rates of infection.
France reopened schools fully with no distancing or mandatory mask wearing at the beginning of September. I am unsure if they opened nail bars, bowling alleys or spin classes.

They also allowed fans into grounds [emoji102]

5 hours ago, Dee Man said:

Guy I know is waiting on results from a Covid test but is almost certain he's got it. He's a fit guy in his late 30s and says it is brutal. Constant pain -sometimes agonising - in his chest and lungs and struggling to breathe. 

It doesn't sound particularly pleasant. 

It started off mild for me then hit me like a brick wall. Was off work for a month, and took almost 3 months to get back to my old self.

I’m guessing I got a fairly high viral load though from a punter at work, seeing as I was literally only at work or at home in the 14 days beforehand.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/14/circuit-break-could-cut-uk-covid-deaths-by-up-to-49-experts-say

I'm not against taking further restrictions if there are compelling reasons to do so. But here's what boils my piss about the SAGE advice and the modelling they use to produce bullshit figures to support a 'circuit breaker':

Authors of unpublished paper say two-week national lockdown would buy time to improve test-and-trace system.

They say a circuit break is not a long-term control measure, but would buy time to get the test-and-trace system in better shape.

Is this March or something? They've had seven fucking months to get a credible track and trace system up and running by now: in what way is another fortnight going to magically resolve that monumental failure? As soon as you reject that premise then the headline figures don't actually stand up.

There has to be a more valid reason put forward than 'oh no give us two weeks we'll get it right this time honest' to justify such measures.

Edited by vikingTON

Basically the uk governments have failed at everything since last November.

Preparation, didn’t bother attending cobr meetings. Dismissed it as an issue.

Understanding the virus, told it was aerosol from China didn’t listen, told crowds were bad idea, didn’t listen and lied about it, track and trace supposedly not important.

Dealing with the virus, moved infected patients into old people’s homes, failed to set up track and trace and proper testing system. Gave contracts to companies with zero health care experience. Tried to govern centrally rather than break it down locally. Set a bad example (shaking hands with patients and letting Cummings do whatever he wanted. Didn’t lock down borders. Came out of lockdown too early after not going into one quick enough. Etc etc.

We have dealt with this worse than some third world countries. It’s astounding.

17 minutes ago, virginton said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/14/circuit-break-could-cut-uk-covid-deaths-by-up-to-49-experts-say

I'm not against taking further restrictions if there are compelling reasons to do so. But here's what boils my piss about the SAGE advice and the modelling they use to produce bullshit figures to support a 'circuit breaker':

Is this March or something? They've had seven fucking months to get a credible track and trace system up and running by now: in what way is another fortnight going to magically resolve that monumental failure? As soon as you reject that premise then the headline figures don't actually stand up.

There has to be a more valid reason put forward than 'oh no give us two weeks we'll get it right this time honest' to justify such measures.

We aren’t even getting testing right inside hospitals in HDUs. This is arguably the biggest f**k up ever by any uk government.

9 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Basically the uk governments have failed at everything since last November.

Preparation, didn’t bother attending cobr meetings. Dismissed it as an issue.

Understanding the virus, told it was aerosol from China didn’t listen, told crowds were bad idea, didn’t listen and lied about it, track and trace supposedly not important.

Dealing with the virus, moved infected patients into old people’s homes, failed to set up track and trace and proper testing system. Gave contracts to companies with zero health care experience. Tried to govern centrally rather than break it down locally. Set a bad example (shaking hands with patients and letting Cummings do whatever he wanted. Didn’t lock down borders. Came out of lockdown too early after not going into one quick enough. Etc etc.

We have dealt with this worse than some third world countries. It’s astounding.

You missed out insisting that face masks were worse than useless at combating the virus in Western countries for bullshit, pop-sociology 'cultural reasons' between March and May, before then demanding that everyone wear them in the summer when there weren't many cases and then wondering why a (foolish) minority reckon that they don't make any difference after sending such a ridiculous mixed message and don't bother listening to you.

With any justice this will be the end of clownshoes Leitch when a public enquiry rolls around.

Edited by vikingTON

Yeah, facemasks was another abomination.

Even 100 years ago they had the sense to wear them. Another thing is the stupid announcement of rules saying you can have one more weekend on the piss or that all public transport has to be reduced cramming people onto trains. Get them all to feck at the next election. Snp included.

7 hours ago, virginton said:

I said it weeks ago. 

Simply playing for time at this point in the pandemic is futile as:

1) It resolves nothing without a long term plan in place to actually combat living around the virus aside from the hope of a vaccine that we don't yet actually know for certain will come 

2) We don't appear to have anyone in charge with the foresight or nous to deliver that long term plan. The promise of this vaccine is masking the massive failings by the government both sides of the border. 

Quite unbelievable really that no-one is any longer actually asking the question 'what do we do to if there is no viable vaccine?', this was asked at the start of the process and the answer was 'a world class track and trace system', but that is long since a busted flush.

I've long since given up holding out hope that a reporter will actually ask that question. 

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

I know there has been a bit of talk about it on here already, but I am just not buying "Long covid" at all. Every story I read about it reeks of propaganda to scare the young into taking it seriously.

It's not bullshit I can assure you. 

18 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

No problem with it outdoors - did it on holiday in Rome and after a while you just don't notice.

The real issue is enforcing it properly.

You were on holiday? You never mentioned it...