Coronavirus (COVID-19)

On 11/10/2020 at 18:30, pandarilla said:

So are the cases going down - or is it the old statistical anomaly based on which day it is?

Do we need to return to the weekly graphs, where we compare Sundays with previous Sundays, as opposed to comparing them with the previous few days?

Worth following this guy's updates. He reassigns cases to the date the sample was taken rather than the date its result was announced, so you get a better picture of the real trend albeit with a bit of a time lag:

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
12 minutes ago, Tynierose said:
That's really interesting point, you woukd think it would be a national decison.  I'm a different health board from my wife so that's two not doing it.

Are you Forth Valley? Cant speak for all FV staff but some are being tested on a weekly basis.

My best mate’s wife works in theatre at FV and says they aren’t being tested.

4 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Every person in the country working in the NHS should be tested at least weekly, its ridiculous. Wide scale testing is a great step to beating this. 

Ultimately, you would think/hope that alongside a vaccine in the coming months, a cheap and effective home test would become available so that folk can test themselves regularly and isolate straight away. Must be high up the priority list for resources to be working on you would think. 

19 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Ultimately, you would think/hope that alongside a vaccine in the coming months, a cheap and effective home test would become available so that folk can test themselves regularly and isolate straight away. Must be high up the priority list for resources to be working on you would think. 

Cant be any tory donors able to supply them yet so that they can get the contracts. 

4 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

The most utterly bizarre bit is that the government aren’t using the money they’re doling out to build temporary or make-shift testing facilities and testing en-mass. Doing so might even generate a lot of new jobs at a time many are looking for work, decrease job-seekers claims and possibly even furlough payments. I want to say that’s what [insert country] did but I’ve forgot which. 

Problem is the lab processing I think. Sooner we adopt the slightly less accurate but much quicker Italian and Chinese method the better. Not sure if I believe the Chinese claim of doing 9 million tests over 5 days in Qingdao though.

57 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

wrestling fail GIF

You've spectacularly missed my point.  I've worked in public sector healthcare for 20 years and fear the worst for the NHS now.  We will never recover the backlog.  I care passionately about it hence my worry going forward, its one of the few things in this country to be proud of.

And as for calling me a Tory, f**k you.

You missed the point. I took your  statement, from a person working in the NHS and how sad it is for you

and I was not mocking you, but putting your statement as a tory c**t would do......not YOU as the tory c**t.

I would never call you a tory, my full apologies, I am really sorry.

Now dry yer fucking eyes & get back to work. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54518002

Some interesting stuff in there. Certainly enough to finally put to bed decisions being made based on "The Science". 

Highlights include:

Test and trace having next to no impact; 

SAGE realising that universities need to be addressed (although stopped short of saying everyone should be sent home); 

Banning the mixing of people indoors (now in place across all of northern England anyway) ; and

The usual stuff on shutting hospitality and gyms etc. 

The circuit breakers which WM decided not to implement expected to only buy 28 days. I can see one of these events mid/late November in an attempt to paint Johnson as the man who saved Christmas. 

13 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The real moan should not be about Dundee but why Inverclyde has been lumped with the rest of Greater Glasgow.

Well actually no it shouldn't unless we're also deciding to magically discount university students from the totals of other hotspots like Glasgow, Edinburgh, Liverpool, Nottingham etc. as well. Dundee's case total is quite clearly sufficient to justify additional measures by the SG's own justifications yet for some strange, school holiday-based reason it wasn't added to the list.  This sort of chicanery is what costs credibility for public health restrictions.

12 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

A reasonably alarming graphic until you realise each of the red areas has between 5-8 apart from Perth Road (student flats) which has 30.

With each datazone being around 5000 people you only need 5 to go from white to red

I'm not sure why having it firing around the Perth Road is a relief tbh unless you mean that there's a hall of residence that directly accounts for the vast majority of those cases.

Students having or carrying the Covid while also living in off-campus private flats in the community is probably the worst possible scenario.

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

Powers the government gave itself to rule by decree, following Parliament giving them approval to do so.

Im sure there will be many examples of people being fined less, but interesting that the maximum has been fined on several occasions for what appears to be a first offence. 

Totally - was it not the case that aot of the fines they issued (down south) early on in lockdown ended up being quashed because they'd made an arse of the law in some way - I only skimmed over at the time so the specifics are beyond me

It's wild to me that the prevailing wisdom of the AV GOAT TWO WEANS gang seems to be that pupils are innocent cherubs in 6th year before transforming en masse into scumbags living in scenes akin to the final days of Sodom and Gomorrah the second they start university. 

58 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

My wife’s GGC and has never had a test. 

Like I said, my wife isn't front line as it were, but deals with the samples on a daily basis and at times has to go into wards and icu especially to draw blood. Never tested, and it was only when she started wearing a mask at work that others (found the courage?) started to too.

Noone in her dept is tested (nhs Lanarkshire) 

6 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

It's wild to me that the prevailing wisdom of the AV GOAT TWO WEANS gang seems to be that pupils are innocent cherubs in 6th year before transforming en masse into scumbags living in scenes akin to the final days of Sodom and Gomorrah the second they start university. 

But is anyone really saying that? Is it not more that the age spread of cases shows that they balloon around S4(?) age but are far fewer at younger ages. 

(usual caveats about symptomatic / asymptomatic cases etc) 

Off topic, my flat is first year at uni would have been a massive improvement had it only been akin to the final days of soddom and gomorrah (😂). Even without the anal. 

“Too many people just aren’t following the rules thats why we’ve got these nee rules”. Is it f**k ! Theres no way a minority of people not wearing masks in the shop caused usto go from 2 a day to 1200 a day

“Too many people just aren’t following the rules thats why we’ve got these nee rules”. Is it f**k ! Theres no way a minority of people not wearing masks in the shop caused usto go from 2 a day to 1200 a day
Whilst I agree with this particular example, I wonder if anyone has attempted to put a number on the impact of failure to isolate when told to. Track and trace appears to be completely broken, rather than "World beating".

Powers the government gave itself to rule by decree, following Parliament giving them approval to do so.
Im sure there will be many examples of people being fined less, but interesting that the maximum has been fined on several occasions for what appears to be a first offence. 
There is no appeal.

The real test is if those fined refuse to pay then it becomes a criminal matter (in England).

My friend works in A&E never been tested, as I said I'm gp practice which includes home visits to nursing homes, never tested, my wife is HDU never tested, her friends, ITU, oncology  and wards never tested.  It's completely disjointed and hit and miss.   Utterly bizarre.  
Am I correct in assuming they are only testing those with direct contact with Covid-19 patients?

I'm not sure why having it firing around the Perth Road is a relief tbh unless you mean that there's a hall of residence that directly accounts for the vast majority of those cases. Students having or carrying the Covid while also living in off-campus private flats in the community is probably the worst possible scenario.

Most of the halls of residences and houses of multiple occupancy are in that area - in the south west of Dundee.  

That second group would concern me.

BTW - I'd have no problem if Dundee was added to the list - I actually agree that the broad broom of health board areas is not helpful - and certainly isn't fair.