Coronavirus (COVID-19)

35 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Has it been decided if Covid is a 'seasonal infection'?

The weather in Scotland was mild at the end of August and in September when cases began and continued to surge.

Didn't Hippocrates say something about medicine and the seasons?

He apparently said "Look to the seasons when choosing your cures" but it's now so firmly entrenched on the internet as a "motivational quote" that I've not been able to find the actual source or context he said it in

Ironically this is one of the few issues arising from Covid that Boris, as a classics graduate, would be well equipped to address.

Why would you need to isolate carers? If you can get unlimited tests for gubbins Scottish footballers on a whim then there should be routine testing for carers as well. That should be near the top of the priority list instead of testing every grotty wean in sight just because their parent is climbing the walls at having to look after them.

Isolate carers was in response to protecting the most vulnerable.

Testing doesn’t stop the spread.

Trump is tested daily and reportedly everyone he meets is temperature checked and tested but still the virus has found its way inside the White House

1 minute ago, get_the_subbies_on said:

Isolate carers was in response to protecting the most vulnerable.

Testing doesn’t stop the spread.

Trump is tested daily and reportedly everyone he meets is temperature checked and tested but still the virus has found its way inside the White House

I agree with the general direction of your post, but trump isn't the best example. Jury is out whether he actually did get tested as regularly as this. Some are suggesting he found the test pretty uncomfortable so just ensured everyone else got tested regularly instead. It's suspiciously not being made public when his last negative test was. If he was negative shortly before he was positive, the WH would be screaming it from the rooftops 

1 minute ago, get_the_subbies_on said:

Am I missing something here?

Assuming your figures are correct.

Who falls into the 0.5% category? You know, just so we can give those potential 30000 Scots a lanyard ahead of time.

@Donathan is missing something. 

Interesting to read the replies to this with lots of people making links to education reopening with next to no restrictions and the surge in cases a couple of weeks later.

This article was linked in one of the replies:

Children may be silent carriers of Covid-19

Researchers explained that “These data suggest that 93 percent of the children with COVID-19 could have been missed were it not for Korea’s intensive contact tracing and aggressive diagnostic testing.”

Another study found children had higher levels of the virus in their airways compared to infected adults hospitalized in intensive care units. The study was published in the Journal of Pediatrics.

Researchers looked at 192 children ages 0 to 22 years of age. Of them, 49 were positive for the virus, and 18 had symptoms of multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C)Trusted Source, a rare complication linked to the virus.

“I was surprised by the high levels of virus we found in children of all ages, especially in the first two days of infection,” Dr. Lael Yonker, a pediatric pulmonologist and lead author of the study, said in a statement.

“I was not expecting the viral load to be so high,” she continued. “You think of a hospital, and of all of the precautions taken to treat severely ill adults, but the viral loads of these hospitalized patients are significantly lower than a ‘healthy child’ who is walking around with a high SARS-CoV-2 viral load.”

The higher the viral load, the greater the transmissibility or risk of infection.

Symptoms of COVID-19 such as fever, runny nose, and cough are similar to those of flu and common cold. That can make it more challenging to get an accurate diagnosis of COVID-19, Yonker said.

“Kids are not immune from this infection, and their symptoms don’t correlate with exposure and infection,” added Dr. Alessio Fasano, a pediatric gastroenterologist and author. “During this COVID-19 pandemic, we have mainly screened symptomatic subjects, so we have reached the erroneous conclusion that the vast majority of people infected are adults. However, our results show that kids are not protected against this virus.”

It’s widely thought that kids are less likely to get the virus or become seriously ill from it because they have fewer immune receptors for SARS-CoV-2. But the data showed kids can carry a higher level of the virus — and be more contagious — regardless of their receptor levels.

Knowing this, the authors say that schools shouldn’t rely on temperatures to screen for the virus but use other measures such as social distancing and wearing masks.

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo

1 minute ago, madwullie said:

Only if you can diagnose quickly, trace properly and take tougher measures than we seem to be

If someone tests positive, they can be isolated and stopped from spreading the virus.  Sure, a percentage will ignore the test result and carry on spreading but a percentage will not.

1 minute ago, hk blues said:

If someone tests positive, they can be isolated and stopped from spreading the virus.  Sure, a percentage will ignore the test result and carry on spreading but a percentage will not.

Dont know if you've seen the data released recently regarding people who isolated when positive / exposed, but it's far less than even 50%.

2 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Dont know if you've seen the data released recently regarding people who isolated when positive / exposed, but it's far less than even 50%.

Better than the 0% that it would have been if there was no testing. 

Edit to Add - I'm not saying it's good enough - not by a long way but...

Edited by hk blues

2 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Better than the 0% that it would have been if there was no testing. 

Edit to Add - I'm not saying it's good enough - not by a long way but...

Totally, and I'm not saying you're wrong, it's more a criticism of the system we have

14 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Interesting to read the replies to this with lots of people making links to education reopening with next to no restrictions and the surge in cases a couple of weeks later.

This article was linked in one of the replies:

Children may be silent carriers of Covid-19

If that were the case, would even the blended education model that had been prepared be sufficient? Or would it require a total remote learning scheme to drive down infections?

Edited by renton

9 minutes ago, madwullie said:

The question was very absolute like "Did you ever leave the house?" A lot might have just gone for a walk around the block.

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

So if you got a warning at two minutes past your starting time then you could be potentially walking around infecting people all day until you switch it back on at finishing time.
Phones should be allowed.

There are more than a few jobs where phones are disallowed - I'm still getting used to being allowed to have mine at my desk, after 23 years of checking to make sure I've left it at home before leaving for work. If I'd taken it into the nick, I could have ended up inside myself!

2 minutes ago, renton said:

If that were the case, would even the blended education model that had been prepared be sufficient? Or would it require a total remote learning to drive down infections?

With infections as high as they are now, you would think blended learning may reduce infections but not get them down to a level that the government is satisfied with. Had it started as intended in August then infections would be lower but who knows if they would be sufficiently lower?

The only way I can see the government getting cases down to June/July levels is with a proper lockdown like the one in March but that is not going to happen and compliance would be far lower anyway this time. Plus it would cause even more pain for the economy and the mental health of the nation, as well as those with other conditions being put on hold until the country opens up again.

Still waiting on the government having this "adult conversation" about living with the virus.

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

Just found out my girlfriends sister is in self isolation.

She was at a house party in Glasgow last weekend with other students and one tested positive.

What did she expect to happen

31 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

A quick flick through that Twitter account shows who ever runs it was a bit of a fanny. Tweeting "f**k Covid" followed by a chain of tweets greeting about the new restrictions really isn't a good look.

Most licenced premise are taking it seriously and certainly wouldn't have filmed their clientele breaking the rules.

24 minutes ago, 101 said:

What did she expect to happen

A quick flick through that Twitter account shows who ever runs it was a bit of a fanny. Tweeting "f**k Covid" followed by a chain of tweets greeting about the new restrictions really isn't a good look.

Most licenced premise are taking it seriously and certainly wouldn't have filmed their clientele breaking the rules.

Aye seems like a total w****r.