Coronavirus (COVID-19)

@invergowrie arab Apologies, please ignore my point above about them not categorically stating that schools are safe. Sturgeon has actually done exactly that earlier.

"We want to avoid changing school holidays, but there is also an opportunity over this next couple of weeks, two to three weeks, where there'll be periods where most schools are off, and that perhaps gives an opportunity to try to reduce some of the transmission risks that we face, not in schools because we believe schools are safe to be back. But the goal is roundabout schools."

1 minute ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

@invergowrie arab Apologies, please ignore my point above about them not categorically stating that schools are safe. Sturgeon has actually done exactly that earlier.

"We want to avoid changing school holidays, but there is also an opportunity over this next couple of weeks, two to three weeks, where there'll be periods where most schools are off, and that perhaps gives an opportunity to try to reduce some of the transmission risks that we face, not in schools because we believe schools are safe to be back. But the goal is roundabout schools."

Well fair enough then as that's clearly shite.

It's going to monumentally f**k a lot of businesses and workers if they announce a hospitality shut down at such short notice, if you know you're doing it just say it. I know its hearsay just now but if a circuit breaker is announced on Thursday to start on Friday that's shite form.

19 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Yes, a football analogy is pretty apt.

Does the government’s inability to operate a straightforward test, track & trace system and do basic math not remind you a wee bit of the Juniors being unable to even produce a full season fixture list?

:barf

10 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

That's a shocking and dangerous statement from Sturgeon. 

I will still vote SNP come what may to achieve the goal of independence but she loses all credibility with those quotes, the "act without delay" open letter and allowing herself to be advised by muppets like Jason Leitch.

What a shambles this winter is going to be.

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo

17 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Why would the Tories want to close the BBC.

Laura Kuenssberg has been sucking off most of the cabinet since the pandemic started

She might have preferred to have got Covid.

8 hours ago, bernardblack said:

How bad is the covid test?

Asking for a friend...

Who has the same name as me...

Looks like me....

Okay it’s for me

It's not very pleasant but it's not insufferable.

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

Unless kids start getting seriously ill then schools are safe. 

The risk is higher for teachers but no higher than NHS workers, care workers or retail workers who will work through each wave.

What if current set up in schools (ie no distancing or masks) is increasing community transmission?

4 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Any opinions on RIP gyms? I kind of feel like there's no point trying to build up a head of steam now if they're just shutting them again.

We call them funeral homes.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

She's spent all summer telling folk to book staycations and is now about to ban them just as the October holidays start. Talk about shafting tourism here.

"Please think of the October break as an opportunity to further limit social interaction."

A lot of what you say makes sense but above is a quote from her on the 22nd September. I don't think that's a call to folk to flock to the But and Ben.

5 minutes ago, 101 said:

"Please think of the October break as an opportunity to further limit social interaction."

A lot of what you say makes sense but above is a quote from her on the 22nd September. I don't think that's a call to folk to flock to the But and Ben.

But in the months leading up to that statement (from less than 2 weeks ago, when clearly they already were planning for this October holidays circuit breaker) they have actively encouraged people to book staycations. Naturally for a large section of the public the only time they can do so is during this specific period, so to then cancel it with “a couple of days notice” is frankly fucking ridiculous for both people and businesses when it’s been fairly clear to everyone that it’s been planned in for a while.

39 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Unless kids start getting seriously ill then schools are safe...

They said that on the telly so it must be true. Sprog one comes from a home with an active COVID-19 case and goes to school and an indoors environment with no masks, social distancing or effective testing. Several other sprogs in the same class pick up the virus from sprog one, who only had very mild symptoms. What happens when the little darlings get home to their parents? Lots of social distancing or high risk interactions? Can we trust the parents not to go to work or the pub with mild symptoms when studies suggest that only 18% are actually self-isolating once symptomatic? If the politicians keep the schools and pubs open they aren't really serious about stopping the second wave and have basically decided to belatedly do what Sweden did without actually admitting it.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

5 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

But in the months leading up to that statement (from less than 2 weeks ago, when clearly they already were planning for this October holidays circuit breaker) they have actively encouraged people to book staycations. Naturally for a large section of the public the only time they can do so is during this specific period, so to then cancel it with “a couple of days notice” is frankly fucking ridiculous for both people and businesses when it’s been fairly clear to everyone that it’s been planned in for a while.

Completely agree if there is a travel limit announced during the October break then it should have been announced before the start of the holidays.

However if folk have booked travel and haven't booked it on a credit card or taken out insurance then to me that's a bit daft. 

The last few pages seem strange as I seem to recall the First Minister promising way back in the spring an 'adult discussion' with the Scottish public on restrictions and why they would have to be imposed - rather than floating shite policy on Twitter and stating blatant lies about the safety of their utterly failed full-school policy.