Coronavirus (COVID-19)

On 04/10/2020 at 14:27, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Italy reporting their highest daily Covid cases in 5 months. They really seemed to have it under control as well.

I'm sure I read there was a reopening of a sector there on 14 September but can't remember what it was. 🤔

Edit- it was the libraries I think. That seems to ring a bell!

Libraries in Italy must be more liberal than the ones in the UK.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Having had an increased interest in Roman Scotland of late (random, I know), I feel that a rebuild of the Antonine Wall should at least be considered (seeing as somewhat ambitious bridge projects between NI and Scotland are back on table). 

A guarded gateway would be established along the M80, with the 'Castlecary Port' being the main point of entry between the North and South.  A second port would be grudgingly placed in Bearsden town centre to prevent it resembling a divided Cold War Berlin, but with stringent checks and a strict ban on travel outwith northern Bearsden / Milngavie.   Temporary legionary forts would be placed at Balloch and Kilsyth to enforce this with truncheons spears to the face being sanctioned for non-compliance.

Many of the c.2000 yr old  foundations are already in place and it would provide hundreds of construction jobs without having to build green-belt-infringing new towns comprising 4 bedroom middle class homes.  It would also make an interesting post-Covid attraction, giving the local  tourism and hospitality sectors a much needed shot in the arm.  The spiked ramparts would be constructed using recycled plastics, much of which would be reclaimed from the sea, thus cleaning our world class beaches.

As I say, something worth consideration.

Eta: reinstatement of the toll booths at the Forth bridges to act as checkpoints between the Lothians and the North.  The old ones might still be kicking around a store room somewhere.

If you can build a wall around Bearsden and Milngavie and keep them all in there, you have my backing for this ambitious plan to keep Scotlands construction industry going.

11 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

They will probably have a multi million pound contract to deliver a world beating database by the end of 2021. 

Deliverables:  Microsoft Access database, supplied on CD-ROM.

29 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Sturgeon's tone has been shocking for weeks.

She's got zero willingness to address the huge elephant in the room, which is schools being open and instead just blames every other aspect of society.

Opening schools was a political decision, they said they would be safe but anyone who has family/friends who work in schools know this is a nonsense.

Wish they would just admit the huge surge in cases is due to the schools/uni's being open and for once be honest.

all this circuit breaker nonsense will do more harm than good, as you'll see it end just as furlough ends and plenty of businesses will not open back up.

She's spent all summer telling folk to book staycations and is now about to ban them just as the October holidays start. Talk about shafting tourism here.

All these hints were given today minutes after she announced ZERO deaths in the last 24hrs.

I'd love to see their plan for the next years for economic recovery as I'd stick money on them not even being able to write it on a fag packet.

And I say all this as an SNP voter for the last decade.

Preach brother.

I always have been an SNP voter and think overall Sturgeon has done an okay job with this (made mistakes but nobody out there hasn’t) but with each day that they refuse to acknowledge the elephant in the room of schools I lose more respect. They are really starting to test me now and think if the circuit breaker gets announced to coincide with school holidays that might just break me.

30 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Sturgeon's tone has been shocking for weeks.

She's got zero willingness to address the huge elephant in the room, which is schools being open and instead just blames every other aspect of society.

Opening schools was a political decision, they said they would be safe but anyone who has family/friends who work in schools know this is a nonsense.

Wish they would just admit the huge surge in cases is due to the schools/uni's being open and for once be honest.

all this circuit breaker nonsense will do more harm than good, as you'll see it end just as furlough ends and plenty of businesses will not open back up.

She's spent all summer telling folk to book staycations and is now about to ban them just as the October holidays start. Talk about shafting tourism here.

All these hints were given today minutes after she announced ZERO deaths in the last 24hrs.

I'd love to see their plan for the next years for economic recovery as I'd stick money on them not even being able to write it on a fag packet.

And I say all this as an SNP voter for the last decade.

What a mewling pile of shite.

Nobody said opening the schools would be safe.  It's managed risk.

It's not about "blaming" other aspects of society. Before schools opened people were warned that some of the loosening that we saw over summer might have to be rolled back again.

Schools going back and infections going up meaning pubs have to shut doesn't mean politicians and advisors are blaming pubs. It means you can't have both and you have to choose which one goes.

I don't remember anyone imploring people to book October staycations. As far as I can tell hotels were doing record business in the summer. Hopefully the unregulated private lets have taken an absolute shoeing and continue to do so.

As for economic recovery plans. I'm fascinated what you think they should come up without borrowing powers or even the courtesy of a budget.

1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

It's not about "blaming" other aspects of society. Before schools opened people were warned that some of the loosening that we saw over summer might have to be rolled back again.

Schools going back and infections going up meaning pubs have to shut doesn't mean politicians and advisors are blaming pubs. It means you can't have both and you have to choose which one goes.

I don't remember anyone imploring people to book October staycations. As far as I can tell hotels were doing record business in the summer. Hopefully the unregulated private lets have taken an absolute shoeing and continue to do so.

As for economic recovery plans. I'm fascinated what you think they should come up without borrowing powers or even the courtesy of a budget.

Well said

We were always guaranteed to have a second wave. The government pandemic planning document that was released in April(ish) said there would definitely be at least three waves. Schools or no schools it will happen.

It's just a case of having an honest and open debate about how far we lockdown on this wave. Neither the Scottish or the UK government seem willing to do that. I have no doubt that Sturgeon is getting credible scientific advice but she seems to believe the public are thick teenagers who need a stern talking to.

3 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Removed the economic recovery but as I agree with that point.

On the rest though, disagree. Obviously they didn’t say they would be 100% safe, but you are being disingenuous suggesting they’ve made it clear that they knew opening schools would be a spreader and have made a political decision to open them. They’ve done the opposite and repeatedly refuse to acknowledge it altogether, whilst instead shifting the intense focus onto hospitality settings that evidence so far suggests are far less likely to spread it. If they were just honest about needing to keep schools open I think it would’ve gone a long way to keeping people on board. I’m desperate to stay on board, but by treating us like children and continuing to ignore the elephant in the room it’s pushing people like me away.

On the last bit, you’re being a bit obtuse. They clearly didn’t specifically say “take a staycation in October” but they did tell people not to go abroad and to take staycations. For a large section of the public the only time they can do this is during a school holiday period, and for the hospitality venues themselves they’ll be desperately clinging onto the hope of getting much needed income during these peak periods. To then cancel this with a circuit breaker that’s weeks too late, just so that it means schools aren’t affected (whilst still pretending schools aren't an issue), would be a huge slap in the face to everyone involved.