Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Any opinions on RIP gyms? I kind of feel like there's no point trying to build up a head of steam now if they're just shutting them again.

They'll get binned soon I'm sure. They seem to fall on the pubs/football side of the pseudo puritanical list the Government are working from.

6 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Any opinions on RIP gyms? I kind of feel like there's no point trying to build up a head of steam now if they're just shutting them again.

Will be ridiculous if they close the place I go to when they're all over cleanliness and do a lot for the local community like free classes and affordable counselling for those that need it and can't afford it. 

On 23/01/2020 at 15:02, The Moonster said:

To be honest, dying from an exotic virus sounds more appealing than living under Tory rule in an independent UK. I'm far more worried about the latter than I am the former, and the news do a terrible job of covering the latter.

Lol

33 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

As of Friday 

All hospitality closed with exception of takeaway 

No households meeting indoors or outdoors

Travel restrictions of 5 miles

Non professional contact sport binned (eg fives)

Schools to remain open because our little cherubs couldn't possibly spread the virus

On 01/10/2020 at 13:43, G_Man1985 said:

Dingies.

The schools can stay open , eh can enjoy meh week off and then you can stand outside in the rain and wait until its time for you to be allowed to come in and get yer shopping.

Keep meh fives open also. 

Cinema in all.

Cheers 

Not looking good for G_man then.

Cineworld closed.

Fives to follow?

1 hour ago, dirty dingus said:

Looks lik a Tesco lotus.

Sure is, and they are all closing down soon, as nobody shops in them.

My local Mini Tesco, doesn't have that top notch scanner stuff, they have a assistant who takes your temperature and gives you a nod for the mask wearing technique of under the chin or nose, but not fully on. 

This has now all gone, we are back to "normal" and can walk in and out without masks or temperature checks.  I still wear my mask, as I'm a good boy.

1 hour ago, MP_MFC said:

So what do we reckon they are going to recommend restriction wise?

I'll plump for a 'central belt' travel limit of up to 5 miles for GG&C, Lanarkshire and Lothian boards with hospitality to be takeaway only in these areas and no meeting of other households indoors or outdoors apart from childcare or usual exemptions.

For the rest of the country, travel into these areas for essential purposes only and takeaway hospitality only.

Having had an increased interest in Roman Scotland of late (random, I know), I feel that a rebuild of the Antonine Wall should at least be considered (seeing as somewhat ambitious bridge projects between NI and Scotland are back on table). 

A guarded gateway would be established along the M80, with the 'Castlecary Port' being the main point of entry between the North and South.  A second port would be grudgingly placed in Bearsden town centre to prevent it resembling a divided Cold War Berlin, but with stringent checks and a strict ban on travel outwith northern Bearsden / Milngavie.   Temporary legionary forts would be placed at Balloch and Kilsyth to enforce this with truncheons spears to the face being sanctioned for non-compliance.

Many of the c.2000 yr old  foundations are already in place and it would provide hundreds of construction jobs without having to build green-belt-infringing new towns comprising 4 bedroom middle class homes.  It would also make an interesting post-Covid attraction, giving the local  tourism and hospitality sectors a much needed shot in the arm.  The spiked ramparts would be constructed using recycled plastics, much of which would be reclaimed from the sea, thus cleaning our world class beaches.

As I say, something worth consideration.

Eta: reinstatement of the toll booths at the Forth bridges to act as checkpoints between the Lothians and the North.  The old ones might still be kicking around a store room somewhere.

Edited by Hedgecutter

3 hours ago, Paco said:

It clearly isn’t because the vaccine could cause harm that they wouldn’t vaccinate the whole population. This is how misinformation spreads.

It’s a) because not everyone is equally affected by Covid and b)because vaccinating every single person in the country with two jabs a week apart will take forever. You don’t need to vaccinate everyone for population immunity - kids in Scotland since about 2005 haven’t received a TB jab, but TB is eradicated in Scotland.

Vaccinate the vulnerable and clinically important, and once that’s done normality virtually arrives. If there’s more doses then sure fire it into the population that doesn’t really need it, but chances are the virus will die out on its own in any case.

It isn’t because it ‘isn’t safe’. We’re all sacrificing an entire year of our lives and crashing our economies for the elderly and vulnerable populations. We aren’t suddenly going to fire chemicals into their veins to bump them off.

It clearly is (partly) because it could cause harm:

"Ms Bingham said vaccination policy would be aimed at those “most at risk” and noted that vaccinating healthy people, who are much less likely to have severe outcomes from Covid-19, “could cause them some freak harm”, potentially tipping the scales in terms of the risk-benefit analysis."

It doesn't look like she's talking about established widespread side effects, and is being cautious. She obviously isn't confident that it's 100% safe but it is safe enough to use. 

The problem was reportedly caused by an Excel spreadsheet reaching its maximum file size, which stopped new names being added in an automated process. The files have now been split into smaller multiple files to prevent the issue happening again.

"So we pushed renewal of some proper software license to the side, Gareth just punched some numbers into Excel and we fucked them over by charging 45 million quid"

tenor.gif?itemid=13774183&key=bd190a0fe3

6 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

"So we pushed renewal of some proper software license to the side, Gareth just punched some numbers into Excel and we fucked them over by charging 45 million quid"

tenor.gif?itemid=13774183&key=bd190a0fe3

Some brass neck to keep using Excel

Having had an increased interest in Roman Scotland of late (random, I know), I feel that a rebuild of the Antonine Wall should at least be considered (seeing as somewhat ambitious bridge projects between NI and Scotland are back on table). 
A guarded gateway would be established along the M80, with the 'Castlecary Port' being the main point of entry between the North and South.  A second port would be grudgingly placed in Bearsden town centre to prevent it resembling a divided Cold War Berlin, but with stringent checks and a strict ban on travel outwith northern Bearsden / Milngavie.   Temporary legionary forts would be placed at Balloch and Kilsyth to enforce this with truncheons spears to the face being sanctioned for non-compliance.
Many of the c.2000 yr old  foundations are already in place and it would provide hundreds of construction jobs without having to build green-belt-infringing new towns comprising 4 bedroom middle class homes.  It would also make an interesting post-Covid attraction, giving the local  tourism and hospitality sectors a much needed shot in the arm.  The spiked ramparts would be constructed using recycled plastics, much of which would be reclaimed from the sea, thus cleaning our world class beaches.
As I say, something worth consideration.

Eta: reinstatement of the toll booths at the Forth bridges to act as checkpoints between the Lothians and the North.  The old ones might still be kicking around a store room somewhere.

For some reason memes about Picts are doing the rounds online so here’s one you might appreciate its me and the boys when you put your guardway in place

FB_IMG_1601811378365.jpg