Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, Paco said:

Unfortunately he appears to be hinting in there that we won’t return everything back to the way it is now, and it’ll be another slow reopen.

I suppose if the UK Gov can happily throw nightclubs and conference centres to the wolves by providing no financial support but preventing them from opening, maybe the Scottish Government will give it a whirl with gyms or hairdressers. Don’t want to be left behind.

The reason the first lockdown worked in March was because almost everything closed, apart from hospitals and essential shops.

If the Scottish and Westminster governments are going to cherry pick sectors to keep open and close others, whilst offering little financial support, this lockdown-lite weeks after the horse has bolted will do far more harm than good. There will be nowhere near as much of a buy-in from the public.

Their pandemic response now being scheduled around school holidays also shows they have learned absolutely nothing from the "20,000 more lives were lost than necessary" by delaying lockdown in March.

You surely either have a full lockdown or do nothing. There's no point in half measures when these measures have got the country into a mess again in the last 6 weeks.

24 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Yet no one is asking either government why they didn't have this "circuit breaker" at the beginning of September when infections began to increase and the R number was lower or why they are seemingly delaying again (we all know why that is). Once the R number is above 1 it is only going to go in one direction if you do nothing.

Another proper lockdown is pointless if we just return everything back to the way it is now afterwards.

This pandemic has revealed how terrible journalism is in this country. 

Also, given the tone of the public now when cases/hospitalisations are inarguably rising, when things were a lot less dodgy looking at the start of sep it would have been virtually impossible to sell any type of lockdown to the public. There was a large-ish swell of opinion to ditch most measures completely at that point. 

But yeah, by the time it's obvious you need to take action, it's usually too late 

All this really proves is that there is no appetite at all to consider other measures to try and live with the virus. Lockdown and repeat every 3-4 months is all they've got, isn't it? 

In the meantime, just continue ruining the economic futures of those who will get the joys of paying for all of this in years to come. 

And since the amount of cases is a problem severe enough that this "circuit breaker" is actually deemed to be something we'll need, why are we just ignoring the university infection rate? Send everyone away from campus unless they absolutely have to be on university premises or in halls (practical classes that can't be done remotely or foreign students that have nowhere else to go). 

Edited by Michael W

16 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

How bad is the covid test?

Asking for a friend...

Who has the same name as me...

Looks like me....

Okay it’s for me

It’s fine if you’re used to deep throating........!

Heard the Peterhead chairman on GMS talking about the government possibly supporting football due to restrictions.

Fairly sure he's wired to the moon as he was coming across straight from the BuT wHaT aBoUt SwEdEn playbook.

Vaccine for all?

Many people have been hoping that when a vaccine becomes available, that will be the wonder development that allows life to return to normal.

But the FT has been speaking to Kate Bingham, head of the government’s UK vaccine taskforce, and she said that if or when a vaccine does become available, less than half the population is likely to get it. In their story (paywall) Anna Gross and Jasmine Cameron-Chileshe report:

Kate Bingham told the Financial Times that vaccinating everyone in the country was “not going to happen”, adding: “We just need to vaccinate everyone at risk” ...

Ms Bingham said the government was aiming to vaccinate about 30m people, compared with a UK population of about 67m, if a successful vaccine against Covid-19 was found.

“People keep talking about ‘time to vaccinate the whole population’, but that is misguided,” she said.

“There’s going to be no vaccination of people under 18. It’s an adult-only vaccine, for people over 50, focusing on health workers and carehome workers and the vulnerable” ...

Ms Bingham said vaccination policy would be aimed at those “most at risk” and noted that vaccinating healthy people, who are much less likely to have severe outcomes from Covid-19, “could cause them some freak harm”, potentially tipping the scales in terms of the risk-benefit analysis.

To me this seems to be endorsing anti-vaxxers to an extent, if your saying over half the population might be better off without getting the vaccine then how many eligible old gammon types will say it's not for me?

Edited by btb

22 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

The reason the first lockdown worked in March was because almost everything closed, apart from hospitals and essential shops.

If the Scottish and Westminster governments are going to cherry pick sectors to keep open and close others, whilst offering little financial support, this lockdown-lite weeks after the horse has bolted will do far more harm than good. There will be nowhere near as much of a buy-in from the public.

Their pandemic response now being scheduled around school holidays also shows they have learned absolutely nothing from the "20,000 more lives were lost than necessary" by delaying lockdown in March.

You surely either have a full lockdown or do nothing. There's no point in half measures when these measures have got the country into a mess again in the last 6 weeks.

Short of the Treasury u-turning on it's stated policy around keeping the economy open, it's difficult to see how a 'circuit-breaker' would happen. Having said that, it's possible all those missing tests now lumped into the data will be given UK GOV some palpitations.

A full lockdown would still require more than two weeks to be effective as well, I think. Given the Uni halls driving large case loads I wonder if another lockdown even helps, or if its just a case of letting that run it's course. Its a semi closed environment with easily limited community contact. Closing the halls and sending the kids back to their communities might be counter productive. I also wonder, given some of the snippets leaking out over the last couple of weeks if UK GOV has a good view of the potential vaccine programme and believes it can limp into November at which point a vaccine is rolled out...

2 minutes ago, btb said:

Vaccine for all?

To me this seems to be endorsing anti-vaxxers to an extent, if your saying over half the population might be better off without getting the vaccine then how many old gammon types will say it's not for me?

Isn't that a standard process? You don't need to vaccinate a whole population for Herd Immunity after all, and targeted vaccinations in at risk groups, and around localised outbreaks is likely to do better at stopping the spread in the short term.

I remember seeing something about how the UK only kept a certain number of smallpox does  and the idea was to build up immunity around outbreaks rather than trying to immunise a whole populace.

Everyone ready for the excuse as to why there were 15k positive cases not uploaded to the dashboard over the last couple of days? 

The file was too big. Yep, that's right - the file was too large. This is amateur stuff and, quite frankly, we deserve to be laughed at. 

Large files will now be split in two to stop this happening again. 

16 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Heard the Peterhead chairman on GMS talking about the government possibly supporting football due to restrictions.

Fairly sure he's wired to the moon as he was coming across straight from the BuT wHaT aBoUt SwEdEn playbook.

I think this conversation must have started last week after the non-league teams in England were going to get financial support, which would lead to Barnett consequentials up here. Not sure if the Scottish Government will just use it for non-league stuff right enough! 

3 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Everyone ready for the excuse as to why there were 15k positive cases not uploaded to the dashboard over the last couple of days? 

The file was too big. Yep, that's right - the file was too large. This is amateur stuff and, quite frankly, we deserve to be laughed at. 

Promote dido harding....she is great

World leading science

10 minutes ago, renton said:

Isn't that a standard process? You don't need to vaccinate a whole population for Herd Immunity after all, and targeted vaccinations in at risk groups, and around localised outbreaks is likely to do better at stopping the spread in the short term.

I remember seeing something about how the UK only kept a certain number of smallpox does  and the idea was to build up immunity around outbreaks rather than trying to immunise a whole populace.

Smallpox isn't prevalent all over the country - I may eventually turn out to be in a minority on this issue but if a vaccine is considered to be potentially more harmful than beneficial to give to over 50% of the population then I'd say you'd be better off waiting till a safe(ish) vaccine is available. A vaccine with that level of efficacy will likely be a hard sell to many of those eligible.

1 hour ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Thing is i would say most people would accept that schools have to have some kind of priority in these times BUT if it looks more obvious that literally everything else is being sacrificed in order to keep them open then more and more people will adopt a VT viewpoint rightly or wrongly

I'd have absolutely no problem if someone in power stood up and said "we know having schools open is a massive risk, but ultimately we need pupils to learn and we need parents back at work".

It's the whole 'the virus stops at the school gate' chat that I find absolutely baffling.

I'd have absolutely no problem if someone in power stood up and said "we know having schools open is a massive risk, but ultimately we need pupils to learn and we need parents back at work".
It's the whole 'the virus stops at the school gate' chat that I find absolutely baffling.

Listen, we’re having a grown up conversation in this country. They told us repeatedly back in March-April.