Coronavirus (COVID-19)

12 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

This entire thing is just fucking farcical now

I give it a couple of months before the general public just start seeing this as a losing cyclic battle with no end in sight and think “f*** it, YOLO”.

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

I've never heard them called that.

I suppose it depends on what part of the country you are brought up.

Tattie picking holidays....Each farmer would send his tractor into town with a flatbed attached and pick up all the bairns aged over 14 that wanted to work( usually told to by your parents)  to go and pick tatties from there fields.

And whats probably caused half the ageing population to have fucked backs 

Edited by doulikefish

Some months ago, Sarah Smith of the BBC rightfully got a lot of flak for saying Nicola Sturgeon was "enjoying" the pandemic.

However, hurriedly retweeting Sam Coates' tweet yesterday, followed quickly by another about the Irish version of SAGE's recommendation of a national 4 week lockdown, does give impression of someone who just can't wait to get another lockdown on the go.

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

I've never heard them called that.

I suppose it depends on what part of the country you are brought up.

Well it may be a generational thing as it is certainly a well recognised term around these parts

9 hours ago, 101 said:

How could we afford it? Or we just going to tell all the businesses to pay their staff for 2 weeks whilst they have no income either that or the circuit breaker is going to be so weak it won't have any effect. 

The Furlough scheme technically runs to October 23rd. I don't know though, if you can re- furlough staff after they have gone back to work.

23 minutes ago, renton said:

The Furlough scheme technically runs to October 23rd. I don't know though, if you can re- furlough staff after they have gone back to work.

You can refurlough some people who have been furloughed for 3 weeks or more and some other conditions.

Meanwhile, the head of the government's vaccine taskforce, Kate Bingham, has told the Financial Times that less than half of the UK population could be vaccinated against coronavirus.

"There is going to be no vaccination of people under 18," she said. "It's an adult-only vaccine for people over 50, focusing on health workers, care home workers and the vulnerable."

Edited by superbigal

8 hours ago, Rob1885 said:

You had Leitch on the radio the other day casting doubts over the effectiveness of a supposed "circuit breaker"(don't get me started on how fucking patronising that term is) due to the "R" rate already being too high. Compliance is going to be that much of an issue, I see it being very ineffective and will do more harm than good.

Nothing surprises me with that balloon any more. Look what he's hitting out with now.

8 hours ago, Rob1885 said:

You had Leitch on the radio the other day casting doubts over the effectiveness of a supposed "circuit breaker"(don't get me started on how fucking patronising that term is) due to the "R" rate already being too high. Compliance is going to be that much of an issue, I see it being very ineffective and will do more harm than good.

Yet no one is asking either government why they didn't have this "circuit breaker" at the beginning of September when infections began to increase and the R number was lower or why they are seemingly delaying again (we all know why that is). Once the R number is above 1 it is only going to go in one direction if you do nothing.

Another proper lockdown is pointless if we just return everything back to the way it is now afterwards.

This pandemic has revealed how terrible journalism is in this country. 

8 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Nothing surprises me with that balloon any more. Look what he's hitting out with now.

"Not full lockdown like the 23rd March, so you might make some choices in there about schools or further education..."

Closing the pubs and nail bars for 2 weeks is going to bring infections down significantly.

No Way Do Not Want GIF

Thing is i would say most people would accept that schools have to have some kind of priority in these times BUT if it looks more obvious that literally everything else is being sacrificed in order to keep them open then more and more people will adopt a VT viewpoint rightly or wrongly

"Not full lockdown like the 23rd March, so you might make some choices in there about schools or further education..."
Closing the pubs and nail bars for 2 weeks is going to bring infections down significantly.
200.gif&key=5ba832220451589c539454ee34a2056cdfdb7f8132b45926c77f0a9fa948b5ec

Not the fucking bucket story again! Buying time is what the first lockdown was supposed to do! We had weeks and weeks with a tiny handful of cases. This now is the equivalent of being 4-0 up at half time then blowing it to then park the bus at 4 each to see out the game for a point. Ridiculous

2 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Thing is i would say most people would accept that schools have to have some kind of priority in these times BUT if it looks more obvious that literally everything else is being sacrificed in order to keep them open then more and more people will adopt a VT viewpoint rightly or wrongly

Schools being a priority is a completely understandable position for a variety of reasons and I think most people would agree it is largely positive for the kids and allows parents to work and/or be more productive if they're working from home.

What I take issue with is the messaging. Do we want to drive case numbers back down or not? If we do then how can schools stay open on a full time basis with no distancing and no masks? Just be honest with the public.

Another proper lockdown is pointless if we just return everything back to the way it is now afterwards.

Unfortunately he appears to be hinting in there that we won’t return everything back to the way it is now, and it’ll be another slow reopen.

I suppose if the UK Gov can happily throw nightclubs and conference centres to the wolves by providing no financial support but preventing them from opening, maybe the Scottish Government will give it a whirl with gyms or hairdressers. Don’t want to be left behind.

22 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Yet no one is asking either government why they didn't have this "circuit breaker" at the beginning of September when infections began to increase and the R number was lower or why they are seemingly delaying again (we all know why that is). Once the R number is above 1 it is only going to go in one direction if you do nothing.

This pandemic has revealed how terrible journalism is in this country. 

It doesn't help that journalists have about as much pre-existing knowledge as you and I about the subject. It means they don't get whether something is run of the mill, or so out of the ordinary it demands further investigation - but by the time they learn something needs deeper investigation, the moment has passed and there's some other shit show to report