Coronavirus (COVID-19)

18-24 months is the usual course of a pandemic.
People need to accept that life won't be the same for that period. Its not the end of the world just live differently and think of others instead of yourself.
The absolute truth is pretty simple:

It's a c**t of a situation.

The powers that be are making a c**t of everything.

But I'm glad I'm not in their tartan baffies.

I have the highest of doubts that they are deliberately trying to screw us all. They are just incompetent.

4 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Please can we remain on topic about Bob Hoskins.

This was a cracking film he was in, builds hope then ends in utter bleak desolation. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120391/

Bit of a spoiler obvs.. It is about 40 years old though so if you don’t want to see Bob and his girlfriend Helen Mirren being snatched by separate IRA murder squads and driven off in opposite directions don’t click on the vid. 

Edited by Shandön Par

10 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

It's probably fine

Testing is at the same level now as it was by the back end of June - so comparisons with the first peak are difficult, but not with the low point.

Consensus seems to be the first peak was about 4 times higher than measured - some say much more - so we're nowhere near that level, but we probably are back in early-mid March or so. It should spread much slower because of distancing, masks, working from home, slightly smaller susceptible population etc but there's no doubt we're at a crossroads.

Just now, madwullie said:

Next time @Todd_is_God goes away, we should get Karl Sikora to guest in the thread for a bit. It's all a bit doom and gloom atm 

There was a lady from Glasgow Caledonian University (IIRC) on Radio Scotland the other day. She said their research said COVID 19 is now just a seasonal bug, we have reached herd immunity and that we should just forget about it and get on with our lives. I'm not a scientist so can offer no opinion either way on this. John Beattie sounded a bit surprised at it though. 

One of my pals got tested at a drive in place along with their partner at the weekend as she had symptoms when they woke in the morning.  He says that he had none (so he shouldn't have booked a test but that's beside the point for now). 

She was negative and he was positive and their results didn't even arrive on the same day, seems a bit odd to a thicko like myself. 

The holiday "quarantine" / "self isolation" thing seems a bit bizarre now considering our 14 day cumulative total is sitting at 102 but the likes of Portugal is sitting at only 92 ??

I've also just read that the ECDC don't see any great threat with either airports or air travel and their extensive risk assessments have concluded that the risk is minimal and no greater than any other busy situation such as a bar / restaurant / workplace or public transport.

Maybe then we should stop telling people not to take holidays abroad and the half witted social media brigade should stop attempting to "shame" people for taking a bloody holiday.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/covid-19/facts/questions-answers-travel

12 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Would be as effective as England's and I'm fairly sure he won't have a second home to break lockdowns like Scotlands previous incumbent.

Incidentally what's Devi rent a quotes advice on getting out and about in today's weather.    Get soaked, embrace upper respiratory tract infections, weaken your immune system, we're all in it together shitheads so if your moods low tough.

The Berlusconi approach to a disaster. "Just think of this earthquake as a good chance to rekindle your love of camping".

27 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

One of my pals got tested at a drive in place along with their partner at the weekend as she had symptoms when they woke in the morning.  He says that he had none (so he shouldn't have booked a test but that's beside the point for now). 

She was negative and he was positive and their results didn't even arrive on the same day, seems a bit odd to a thicko like myself. 

Maybe he had covid and she didn't?

15 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Germany & Italy appear to be the only two large countries in Europe which have held the infection rates at bay, even Poland which had been performing well is now seeing a steady rise in daily infections.

Are they just lucky or is there some rational explanation for this ???

Germany have had a far lower infection and death rate than the other major European countries since the beginning of the pandemic. They manage things better and seem to have a less moronic population than the likes of the UK and France.

As for Italy, as they were leading the way at the beginning of the first wave you would expect their rate of infection/deaths to be higher at the moment.

The only difference I can see is that Italian schools reopened just two weeks ago but, as we know, children and schools are not major transmission hotspots. It's a bit of a mystery then!

25 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Incidentally what's Devi rent a quotes advice on getting out and about in today's weather.    Get soaked, embrace upper respiratory tract infections, weaken your immune system, we're all in it together shitheads so if your moods low tough.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...It's about learning to dance in the rain xox 

8 minutes ago, Shandön Par said:

I thought they delivered food by drone in your neck of the woods? 

Didn't realise VT had a (new) job.

Spoiler

Steven, the Chinese boy who tried to do the drone thing was knocked back by the cooncil apparently.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/dundee/66391/dundee-chinese-takeaway-says-drone-delivery-plan-is-no-flight-of-fancy/