Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, dirty dingus said:

Is Trump not planning to unleash some sort of vaccine in a couple of weeks to try buy the election? If it fails he'll just blame those who didn't pray hard enough.

Wouldnt be even a small surprise if he did. Unlike most places who will prioritise health workers, the elderly and those with health issues, Trump prioritising racist arseholes will see him get a second term

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Wouldnt be even a small surprise if he did. Unlike most places who will prioritise health workers, the elderly and those with health issues, Trump prioritising racist arseholes will see him get a second term

c***s at it.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/13/trump-political-play-vaccine-covid-election

Russia and China have been vaccinating people though. Russia I believe the public and China are giving it to their military. The oxford/AZ one is already being manufactured on the assumption it passes trials. 
Genuinely not sure where you are getting this stuff from unless you dont believe the info that is being put out there. 9 months is not realistic to get to the levels of global vaccination that we eventually need to get to, it certainly doesnt seem unrealistic to have done enough in the UK itself in order to start shedding some restrictions though. 
Well hopefully, im not quoting any conspiracy stuff or even looking at any of it.
Just a healthy amount of cynicism based on the history of vaccines and medical testing. I've got it into my head that pretty much everything is on hold for at least a year. That way if the vaccine doesn't come out soon then im ready for it.
Testing tracing and treatments could and should be looked upon as important as a vaccine though.
Would like to hear a proper grown up discussion from worldwide governments though and a united front rather than everyone just scrambling around trying to make short term saves to economies that have cost more jobs, money and sadly peoples lifes.
If china really has 20 new cases then let's do whatever they're doing please.

Is Trump not planning to unleash some sort of vaccine in a couple of weeks to try buy the election? If it fails he'll just blame those who didn't pray hard enough.
A super dooper vaccine. The greatest in the history of the world. Nobody has seen anything like it before.

33 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Wouldn’t it be better if Sturgeon followed the Swedes rather than always trying to be more English than the English with draconian restrictions? 

AB12737D-B318-407E-956A-ADE4B9391C52.jpeg

Please tell me you're joking.

Right-wing nutjobs are all over social media talking about Sweden like they haven't failed spectacularly and needlessly killed thousands of their citizens in the process. Let's compare them to some comparable countries, eh?

Screenshot 2020-09-29 at 20.51.53.png

2 hours ago, virginton said:

That's not quite true as @welshbairn and a handful of other weirdos have signed a badly spelled petition insisting that teuchter-level football must get an exemption from the nationwide 'meet no more than two households, inside or out' rules for reasons. Can't wait to see the SG reversing policy under such crushing pressure!

In reality all football beneath the top flight of the SPFL should be binned for the season because it's impractical in the short run, ruinous in the long run and utterly fucking shite for both. They can and should be postponed/put in cold storage until we actually reach stage 4 and all of the restrictions on everyday life are being lifted. This attempt to produce a sham version of the real product even at Championship level is doomed to failure.

^^^apoplectic at the idea that Morton are caught between the big boys who can afford BCD football and clubs with 2 men and a dog to a couple of hundred spread over a park that could easily do it safely. The more than 2 households wasn't meant to be a per acre calculation. There's probably no chance of it happening anyway which will no doubt give you hours of chortling over your Ainsley Harriot collection.

1 minute ago, Chairman Mao said:

All cause mortality and excess deaths trump deaths “with” covid on the death certificate 

If you had either the tiniest understanding of the issues, or a reasonable amount of common sense, you'd know that's rubbish and why.

Sweden has a much better healthcare system and a much, much healthier population than Scotland. Even in normal times our mortality rate is over 1,100 per 100,000; Sweden's us about 900. The additional mortality caused by things like disruption to care are more likely to have happened here than in Sweden. This is all obvious stuff.

Also, 6 months is too broad. Scotland has a pretty awful mortality rate in January every year, with the second week being pretty wild compared to the rest of the year. Does Sweden?

There are so many variables in excess mortality that comparing two countries on it obviously captures a lot more than just the coronavirus deaths.

2 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

After a light flu year in 2019, mortality in Sweden in 2020 is no different from recent years 

BAFE9D3C-1A34-42AF-ACE1-3CA17CCAD927.jpeg

So mortality has shot up compared with last year?

Doesn't that tell you something about the hazards of using this data?

I need to ask, do you have any qualification or background in epidemiology or statistics?

1 minute ago, Chairman Mao said:

@GordonS

Again, it’s clear that Sweden haven’t suffered thousands of unnecessary deaths in 2020

7340666F-3572-419D-861F-B7BE5B610E3F.jpeg

Sweden has had 5,880 deaths ATTRIBUTED TO (not "with") coronavirus. 

The other three Nordic countries combined had less than 1,258.

It very much feels that you like something about what Sweden has done and you're just going to spin the numbers as best you can for support. There's no reasonable, objective way of looking at the data and drawing your inference, but I suspect that's not your intention.

I'll leave you to it, but hopefully others can see what you're trying to do.

Screenshot 2020-09-29 at 21.08.15.png

8 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I need to ask, do you have any qualification or background in epidemiology or statistics?

The reply:

3 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Light flu year across Europe last year.

Sweden’s mortality this year is comparable with the 5 year average.

That's what I thought.

Well hopefully, im not quoting any conspiracy stuff or even looking at any of it.
Just a healthy amount of cynicism based on the history of vaccines and medical testing. I've got it into my head that pretty much everything is on hold for at least a year. That way if the vaccine doesn't come out soon then im ready for it.
Testing tracing and treatments could and should be looked upon as important as a vaccine though.
Would like to hear a proper grown up discussion from worldwide governments though and a united front rather than everyone just scrambling around trying to make short term saves to economies that have cost more jobs, money and sadly peoples lifes.
If china really has 20 new cases then let's do whatever they're doing please.

Not heard the 9 months chat, but in 6 months time it’ll have been going on for a year.

Pretty sure the governments are just trying to get by until spring where they sound as confident as they really can that a vaccine might be available.

I’d be fairly surprised if at least another treatment or two didn’t become available by then (in addition to the existing steroid treatment) which then makes the virus less deadly.

I’d be surprised if we didn’t get more effective testing soon. If not the pregnancy style tests, then the saliva tests which speed things up. Introducing them widely at airports etc will help the travel industry massively.

If all the vaccine trials fail or are delayed way beyond the start of next year, then I think Governments en masse might start to move softly towards letting folk take their chances with it.

Can’t see the circumstances as they are now being the norm for another full year.

3 hours ago, Tynierose said:

It's OK though Devi says everyone is just to get on with it as we're all in the same boat.  Her comments were ill informed, showed a complete lack of empathy, understanding and compassion.  A government advisor, deary me.

I missed her giving that message, that's not what I've picked up from her so far. What did she say?

2 hours ago, Tynierose said:

It has been a strange time, I found it bewildering that NHS drug addiction services sent letters to some of their clients advising them no more support due to the pandemic and they were discharged. I believe some mental health services did similar for their more stable clients 

Its absolutely batshit crazy to reduce service provision in those fields when their client groups will be at their most vulnerable and require support due the effects of the pandemic.

Our HV's are still seeing people on a reduced capacity.  The area I work in has high deprivation so f**k knows how many potential issues are being missed.

Its a clusterfuck.

Anyone wondering how a country could have a higher coronavirus death rate than us, but a lower excess mortality rate: this is a good example.

When you're already a shitey country it doesn't take much to knock other things over.