Coronavirus (COVID-19)

My daily update on Turkey.

A slight rise today from yesterday - but that seems to be the norm - up to 1427 confirmed cases from 1412 yesterday - this is for a population of nearly 83 million - clearly nowhere near our level.

In comparison the previous figures for Tuesday were:

29/09 - 1427
22/09 - 1692
15/09 - 1742
08/09 - 1761
01/09 - 1572

Seems clear that their tightening up of restrictions at the start of September is working eg wearing of face masks in public places.

Also looks there might be an even bigger rush for Turkey if Italy, rest of Greece (England), Sweden and Poland are added to thd quarantine list on Thursday.

10 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Can I ask have you got the distinct impression that the psychiatric services are loving the ability to cut down their availability? I know that partner agencies are picking up an ever increasing amount of slack with regards these particular calls, someone phones nhs 24 to say they are suicidal and end up having the police chap the door as the NHS cant cope and CPN’s wont come out and visit people. 

My wee boy turns 30mths in October and is supposed to get an assessment from a health visitor, these are now not being done face to face, cant help but imagine there will be significant issues with this approach, there is no reason why health visitors shouldnt take appropriate measures and go to houses. 

I called NHS24 in June. Police came out and waited until CPN called me. CPN was as much use as chocolate teapot. Police officer was like, did she have any idea what BPD is as you sounded like you had educate her? Police were great though.

There isn’t much in way psychiatric services to start with.

30 month check is waste time. By time my younger two were that age I just didn’t bother.

https://www.tatler.com/article/queen-upset-sandringham-staff-refuse-to-lock-themselves-in-covid-bubble-for-christmas

Auld Lizzy not happy her staff won’t do a covid bubble for Christmas so she might need to stay at Windsor.

At 94 years old and with the second wave incoming, it seems ambitious for her to assume she will see Christmas

1 minute ago, Donathan said:

https://www.tatler.com/article/queen-upset-sandringham-staff-refuse-to-lock-themselves-in-covid-bubble-for-christmas

Auld Lizzy not happy her staff won’t do a covid bubble for Christmas so she might need to stay at Windsor.

At 94 years old and with the second wave incoming, it seems ambitious for her to assume she will see Christmas

Lizards are fairly robust m9.

12 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Re football, surely the Highland Leagues position of 'we won't be starting until fans are back' is beginning to look more and more like the only option at that kind of level

If clubs own their grounds, can't rely on much/any income without gate receipts and maybe don't have the capacity to do live streaming or whatever, what are the obstacles there, assuming they haven't got contractual obligations to players? Without actually playing games what outgoings do most clubs even have? Ground maintenance, rates, electricity etc? Some kind of hibernation period seems likely, or some kind of amateurisation at the lower levels. Otherwise you're looking at clubs spending money without any coming in which is surely not tenable. 

That's not quite true as @welshbairn and a handful of other weirdos have signed a badly spelled petition insisting that teuchter-level football must get an exemption from the nationwide 'meet no more than two households, inside or out' rules for reasons. Can't wait to see the SG reversing policy under such crushing pressure!

In reality all football beneath the top flight of the SPFL should be binned for the season because it's impractical in the short run, ruinous in the long run and utterly fucking shite for both. They can and should be postponed/put in cold storage until we actually reach stage 4 and all of the restrictions on everyday life are being lifted. This attempt to produce a sham version of the real product even at Championship level is doomed to failure.

Certainly in terms of the type and content of the messages coming from the school i'm getting the impression that they are gearing up for a bit of time off. Learning grids for homework for my P3 kid was the main sign. Other than a bit of reading and some numbers he doesn't normally get homework so to have three grids with about 20 things on each and a comment of 'two or three things a week' till December makes me wonder. Looking over it its almost a timetable for work they would normally be doing in class time.
Thankfully most folks round my way seem to be using common sense but you always get the rogue few that just know its a consipracy....ironically nearly all those folks i've seen are heavily smoking and overweight and would be prime candidates for serious treatment in ICU if the government managed to track them down!
Not in our school or others in Dundee as far as I am aware - yes we have pupils ready just in case eg getting them on Teams etc, but at the moment no real message of further closure.

2 minutes ago, Donathan said:

She'll be having another  annus horribilis if the staff don't hang about to clean up her mess.

The only grounds in Scotland that can’t hold the entirety of their season ticket sales would be Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen.

No reason why they can’t allow season ticket holders only and if possible a small number of PATG for home support only. Especially in the lower leagues.
You could probably add a few more to that list - probably both Dundee clubs for example.

Masks mandatory at my work now for office workers (one of the biggest UK banks) and just off the phone with the auld mother who says they're mandatory in her work as of this week (office staff at a GP practice). Looks like it's been rolled out across the board under wraps.

19 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

It's OK though Devi says everyone is just to get on with it as we're all in the same boat.  Her comments were ill informed, showed a complete lack of empathy, understanding and compassion.  A government advisor, deary me.

As a primary care service the rise in mental health cases has been massive, unfortunately the expertise and staff are not available to cope with the influx.

Its been terrible for people's mental health and if we go back the way lockdown wise over the winter then it really will be a perfect storm.

Unfortunately a proper lockdown seems inevitable now due to the almost restrictionless opening up of certain sectors in the last 6-8 weeks (on the advice of muppets like Sridhar and Leitch). It'll be delayed for another few weeks or months of course whilst they all keep their fingers crossed the virus just retreats all by itself.

"It is also the case - and we know this from our experience earlier in the year - that acting quickly and decisively against the virus is essential. In other words, if we believe further action will be required, there is nothing to be gained and potentially much to be lost, including lives - from delay."

Dearie me.

21 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Unfortunately a proper lockdown seems inevitable now due to the almost restrictionless opening up of certain sectors in the last 6-8 weeks (on the advice of muppets like Sridhar and Leitch). It'll be delayed for another few weeks or months of course whilst they all keep their fingers crossed the virus just retreats all by itself.

"It is also the case - and we know this from our experience earlier in the year - that acting quickly and decisively against the virus is essential. In other words, if we believe further action will be required, there is nothing to be gained and potentially much to be lost, including lives - from delay."

Dearie me.

Just some more 'sacrifices' that we all clearly signed up to make - by governmental decree rather than any democratic vote - in aid of the one true goal of keeping the weans in school on a 7/5 basis. Unless of course you live in South Uist in which case your schools can be punted in the bin for the real pandemic going on over there.

Edited by vikingTON

31 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

My daily update on Turkey.

A slight rise today from yesterday - but that seems to be the norm - up to 1427 confirmed cases from 1412 yesterday - this is for a population of nearly 83 million - clearly nowhere near our level.

In comparison the previous figures for Tuesday were:

29/09 - 1427
22/09 - 1692
15/09 - 1742
08/09 - 1761
01/09 - 1572

Seems clear that their tightening up of restrictions at the start of September is working eg wearing of face masks in public places.

Also looks there might be an even bigger rush for Turkey if Italy, rest of Greece (England), Sweden and Poland are added to thd quarantine list on Thursday.

Germany & Italy appear to be the only two large countries in Europe which have held the infection rates at bay, even Poland which had been performing well is now seeing a steady rise in daily infections.

Are they just lucky or is there some rational explanation for this ???

28 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Dearie me.

Nearly everyone has an opinion on this and most contrast greatly with one another, including us posters on here.

Do we tighten restrictions ?, loosen them ?, go for a full lockdown ? or maybe herd immunity ?

Is the Economy the priority ? or is it public health ? but does worrying about covid cause greater issues elsewhere in health ??

Ultimately, everyone thinks they know best, but in reality there's no easy solution or right answer I'm afraid...

14 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Nearly everyone has an opinion on this and most contrast greatly with one another, including us posters on here.

Do we tighten restrictions ?, loosen them ?, go for a full lockdown ? or maybe herd immunity ?

Is the Economy the priority ? or is it public health ? but does worrying about covid cause greater issues elsewhere in health ??

Ultimately, everyone thinks they know best, but in reality there's no easy solution or right answer I'm afraid...

The answer is treatments and vaccines. Went so quiet on that front. At the outset was talk of August / September FFS

This is now available in libraries and all good book shops. As a nation rushed out to obtain this treasured tome, the number of cases has sky rocketed.

IMG_20200929_192144.thumb.jpg.bd2f24d5e581bd5f443cb42b2c873347.jpg

"You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain"