Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

The enlightened north east of the kingdom is a lovely area, imvho. 

Agree totally. Four years living in St Andrews was very nice time in my life. Apart from when the Dundee ruffians would come over looking for trouble at the weekend.

21 minutes ago, mizfit said:

The only grounds in Scotland that can’t hold the entirety of their season ticket sales would be Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen.

No reason why they can’t allow season ticket holders only and if possible a small number of PATG for home support only. Especially in the lower leagues.

Clubs would be even worse off with season ticket holders in and not selling any further tickets though, and it would have to be advance tickets rather than PATG to stop away fans travelling. They'd have all the costs of opening the ground - in many cases needing four stands open to properly distance fans - without any increase on the revenue they're currently getting. To make it a better prospect for clubs than the current situation, you need a capacity where you can sell tickets over and above season ticket holders and more than cover the cost of staffing the ground, with stewarding needed to maintain distancing, more intensive cleaning needed between games, etc.

In the unlikely event the government agree to allow stadiums to open to say 15% of their capacity, that's good news for Morton, Raith, Queen of the South, Arbroath and Ayr (possibly ICT too?) who would be able to sell tickets beyond season ticket holders, although it does restrict some to below their average attendances of last season and if terracing is removed from the equation all but Raith are fucked. However even with governmental agreement for that level of attendance, are the SPFL going to agree to allowing 15% for Championship clubs when Dundee, Alloa and Dunfermline would be fucked even at 25%, and Hearts still wouldn't get all their season ticket holders in even at 50%?

I think they absolutely should allow clubs who have the means to get that revenue to do it, it would be daft not to, but could see the SPFL caving to the argument that it's not a level playing field unless all clubs in one division can get the additional income, when all the same clubs who were going mental about the end to last season are complaining they're being disadvantaged again.

The same argument applies to League One, where a 25% limit puts Partick, Falkirk (yet another injustice for those two to cry about), Dumbarton, Cove and East Fife below last season's average attendances while Montrose, Forfar, Clyde, Airdrie and Peterhead (just) would be fine.

Obviously they could all continue to sell streams as well even if they can’t get everyone in the ground so it's not like revenue is cut off entirely but still, I'd be concerned.

9 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Clubs would be even worse off with season ticket holders in and not selling any further tickets though, and it would have to be advance tickets rather than PATG to stop away fans travelling. They'd have all the costs of opening the ground - in many cases needing four stands open to properly distance fans - without any increase on the revenue they're currently getting. To make it a better prospect for clubs than the current situation, you need a capacity where you can sell tickets over and above season ticket holders and more than cover the cost of staffing the ground, with stewarding needed to maintain distancing, more intensive cleaning needed between games, etc.

In the unlikely event the government agree to allow stadiums to open to say 15% of their capacity, that's good news for Morton, Raith, Queen of the South, Arbroath and Ayr (possibly ICT too?) who would be able to sell tickets beyond season ticket holders, although it does restrict some to below their average attendances of last season and if terracing is removed from the equation all but Raith are fucked. However even with governmental agreement for that level of attendance, are the SPFL going to agree to allowing 15% for Championship clubs when Dundee, Alloa and Dunfermline would be fucked even at 25%, and Hearts still wouldn't get all their season ticket holders in even at 50%?

I think they absolutely should allow clubs who have the means to get that revenue to do it, it would be daft not to, but could see the SPFL caving to the argument that it's not a level playing field unless all clubs in one division can get the additional income, when all the same clubs who were going mental about the end to last season are complaining they're being disadvantaged again.

The same argument applies to League One, where a 25% limit puts Partick, Falkirk (yet another injustice for those two to cry about), Dumbarton, Cove and East Fife below last season's average attendances while Montrose, Forfar, Clyde, Airdrie and Peterhead (just) would be fine.

Obviously they could all continue to sell streams as well even if they can’t get everyone in the ground so it's not like revenue is cut off entirely but still, I'd be concerned.

With the likes of Cappielow  if the weather is shitty I can't see many staying out in Sinclar St. or the Wee Dublin End to observe social distancing everyone would just go to the shed.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

What are the French doing currently, because it certainly didnt look like and sort of lockdown. Are their cases still flying up?

We have to wear masks in public transport and shops, but that’s about it. Restaurants and bars are doing good trade. Kids wear masks in the school playground but we’re back to usual class sizes. I can still travel across the border to work inSwitzerland without any hassles. A second lockdown would be extremely unpopular... will be a total last resort.

so « in denial » is probably your answer.

2 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

With the likes of Cappielow  if the weather is shitty I can't see many staying out in Sinclar St. or the Wee Dublin End to observe social distancing everyone would just go to the shed.

This is why you'd need far higher levels of stewarding than normal, to ensure that people who are meant to be in uncovered areas at grounds like Cappielow and Somerset stay where they're supposed to be. It's also why I'd be concerned that terracing won't be factored in to the available capacity.

Dressing appropriately for the possibility of rain or getting turfed out for failing to maintain distancing should be the choices there.

However that is not going to happen with Sturgeon and I hope she thinks she can ride the storm and backlash if and when clubs start to go down the toilet.

Presumably rather than blaming Nicola we will all just sit back and laugh at the supporters who let their clubs die

That’s standard protocol

20 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

I reckon this is partly why the SFA don't seem too fussed about getting some of crowds back. Ultimately it will affect the bigger clubs the most (the gruesome two the most), and I can't for the life of me see them being comfortable with that.

The example you show is very true. Take it up the the premier league and you end up with e.g. all Hamilton's season ticket holders getting in, but only a small percentage of Celtic/Rangers. That situation is never going to be allowed is it?!

1 hour ago, Jack Burton said:

Celtic and Rangers would probably be the worst for it as they have season ticket holders all over the country.

What you are saying on the pubs is true but you could have fans from the likes of Glasgow where the cases are highest travelling to other parts of the country.

Limiting it to local fans is probably the way to go which is likely to be season ticket holders only. That then goes back to if it makes sense financially for clubs to have the stadiums open for small crowds.

This is one of the good things with Covid when ground open fans must be from the local area so goodnight Derry CSC and Inverness RSC

21 minutes ago, 101 said:

This is one of the good things with Covid when ground open fans must be from the local area so goodnight Derry CSC and Inverness RSC

So no away games for anybody then but rather a season of dealing with the sweetie-rustlers who attend home matches only. It's a no from me then.

54 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Presumably rather than blaming Nicola we will all just sit back and laugh at the supporters who let their clubs die

That’s standard protocol

I'm going to destroy Scottish fitba by reworking Martin Niemoller's "first they came for" poem about diddy clubs going under

The game of football itself is pretty dreadful 9 times out of 10.

One of the best things about home matches is having a laugh with your pals and slagging off the other home fans you don't like.

If it comes to pass that you need to sit miles away from anyone else and aren't allowed to talk too loud I doubt I'll bother. Someone else can have my socially distanced seat.

30 minutes ago, virginton said:

So no away games for anybody then but rather a season of dealing with the sweetie-rustlers who attend home matches only. It's a no from me then.

Depends how they draw up the rules - if the fag packet has local authority as the boundary for folk attending then selected away game will be allowed depending on who's in your league. 

But agree the prospect of the football returning under this guise isn't an attractive one.