Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Just watched a boxing match (Tony Yoka) from the weekend which took place in Paris (France). It had quite a few spectators at it. What are the French doing currently, because it certainly didnt look like and sort of lockdown. Are their cases still flying up?

I'm sure I read at the beginning of the week that they were still in a bad place with new infections - sure i'd seen@14.5k a day?

Watching the EFL chairman begging for fans to go back does seem to flag that there should be an ability to allow segregated, limited crowds into grounds. If other sports and facilities can do it i'm not sure why 20,000 seater stadiums are stopped from having 1,000 fans there...

I'm sure I read at the beginning of the week that they were still in a bad place with new infections - sure i'd seen@14.5k a day?
Watching the EFL chairman begging for fans to go back does seem to flag that there should be an ability to allow segregated, limited crowds into grounds. If other sports and facilities can do it i'm not sure why 20,000 seater stadiums are stopped from having 1,000 fans there...

The only grounds in Scotland that can’t hold the entirety of their season ticket sales would be Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen.

No reason why they can’t allow season ticket holders only and if possible a small number of PATG for home support only. Especially in the lower leagues.

Guessing it is to stop thousands of football fans from travelling all over the country in cars, trains or buses. A fair number will also go into pubs before and after the game.

Is having 1k in a 20k seater stadium going to benefit the club anyway? They would probably lose money by the time you factor all the costs.

1 minute ago, mizfit said:

The only grounds in Scotland that can’t hold the entirety of their season ticket sales would be Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen.

No reason why they can’t allow season ticket holders only and if possible a small number of PATG for home support only. Especially in the lower leagues.

Given the size of East End and the number of season ticket holders we have there would seem no issue with allowing the season ticket holders into the games. Some wouldn't come, some would be in family groups and some on their own but i'm sure there would be a way of them being in the 2/3 normal 'home' stands easily spaced without there being much strain on policing or stewarding.

Given the size of East End and the number of season ticket holders we have there would seem no issue with allowing the season ticket holders into the games. Some wouldn't come, some would be in family groups and some on their own but i'm sure there would be a way of them being in the 2/3 normal 'home' stands easily spaced without there being much strain on policing or stewarding.
Stand in a queue in the rain
Sit away from friends and family
No hot food or drinks
Cant shout, sing or move around
Wait ages to be let out

No thanks

1 minute ago, Jack Burton said:

Guessing it is to stop thousands of football fans from travelling all over the country in cars, trains or buses. A fair number will also go into pubs before and after the game.

Is having 1k in a 20k seater stadium going to benefit the club anyway? They would probably lose money by the time you factor all the costs.

I would imagine that there would be few folks travelling huge distances if there were limited spaces for some places like Ibrox/ Parkhead etc. The club could also work to ensure that given it was limited spaces that only those who lived 'locally' would be issued a match ticket? If fans need to go to a pub before/ after a game then as long as those places are following the rules on capacity, distancing and hygene then i don't see an issue there either.

Agree that most of the money made on matchdays is from PATG, merchandise and catering - i'd hope that streaming of games could help offset that part of it?

30 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Just watched a boxing match (Tony Yoka) from the weekend which took place in Paris (France). It had quite a few spectators at it. What are the French doing currently, because it certainly didnt look like and sort of lockdown. Are their cases still flying up?

On the Pars thread (you'll find it in a place called The Championship forum M7½) there is a picture of the stock car racing from Lochgelly with fans crowded in. Not sure what the situation is with that.

Fair enough...there's a fair few cold grounds in Scotland to be standing/ seated for 2 hours with no hot food (assuming the catering couldn't be done)
I was being sarcastic. The idea of waiting until I can get a shitty pie that I would eat under no other circumstances and a bovril that I could make anytime in the house just seems a bit wild to me. I'm choking to go to a football match and no catering would be rock bottom of the list of reasons not to.

I would imagine that there would be few folks travelling huge distances if there were limited spaces for some places like Ibrox/ Parkhead etc. The club could also work to ensure that given it was limited spaces that only those who lived 'locally' would be issued a match ticket? If fans need to go to a pub before/ after a game then as long as those places are following the rules on capacity, distancing and hygene then i don't see an issue there either.
Agree that most of the money made on matchdays is from PATG, merchandise and catering - i'd hope that streaming of games could help offset that part of it?
Celtic and Rangers would probably be the worst for it as they have season ticket holders all over the country.

What you are saying on the pubs is true but you could have fans from the likes of Glasgow where the cases are highest travelling to other parts of the country.

Limiting it to local fans is probably the way to go which is likely to be season ticket holders only. That then goes back to if it makes sense financially for clubs to have the stadiums open for small crowds.

Clubs would struggle if distanced fans are allowed back. In Scotland at least, clubs have sold pretty normal levels of season tickets and not many will be able to take PATG on top of that number.

By the time you take into account all the admin work, organisation and then additional matchday costs in terms of raw cash flow, you’d probably be struggling to bring in any extra income. If hospitality bars and catering could open, you might just about manage, but the knockout blow could be if the SPFL prevents selling a live stream in the UK since there’s fans in the stadium.

Not all clubs are the same either, so you could have say Queen’s Park or Airdrie with capacities far too big for them happy to let anyone in, but Dumbarton or East Fife really struggling to accommodate even distanced ST holders. Common sense solution to me would be a ST only crowd regardless of capacity, live stream available for those who don’t.

Not that any of this is happening this season.

1 hour ago, Shandön Par said:

On the Pars thread (you'll find it in a place called The Championship forum M7½) there is a picture of the stock car racing from Lochgelly with fans crowded in. Not sure what the situation is with that.

It’s where folk cobble together old bits of cars and race them round a track, banging into each other IIRC.

14 minutes ago, Paco said:

Clubs would struggle if distanced fans are allowed back. In Scotland at least, clubs have sold pretty normal levels of season tickets and not many will be able to take PATG on top of that number.

By the time you take into account all the admin work, organisation and then additional matchday costs in terms of raw cash flow, you’d probably be struggling to bring in any extra income. If hospitality bars and catering could open, you might just about manage, but the knockout blow could be if the SPFL prevents selling a live stream in the UK since there’s fans in the stadium.

Not all clubs are the same either, so you could have say Queen’s Park or Airdrie with capacities far too big for them happy to let anyone in, but Dumbarton or East Fife really struggling to accommodate even distanced ST holders. Common sense solution to me would be a ST only crowd regardless of capacity, live stream available for those who don’t.

Not that any of this is happening this season.

As a season ticket holder I would be more than happy to pay another £5 or so towards the costs if allowed back.  However that is not going to happen with Sturgeon and I hope she thinks she can ride the storm and backlash if and when clubs start to go down the toilet. Absolutely crazy we can go to the pubs and mingle in the street afterwards but not have limited numbers at the football especially in League 2.